MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know S&W had at least one long slide "Pro" model at SHOT - and was wondering if any of you that have "inside" information had any scoop on when there are going to roll out - and - how much?

cheers

tire iron

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the new S&W 2007 catalog which has a listing for the new Pro Series M&P 5" on page 44 (all it says is coming soon to the pro series. No picture). In the catalog each model is attached to one of their team shooters i.e. Doug Koenig, Jerry Miculek etc. Would this then be a Julie Goloski model...? At any rate, the 5" is acually 4 3/4" long. Only a quarter inch longer than the standard 4 1/2" Will it be worth the premium it is rumored to have... an extra hundred bucks?

·
Registered
33 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
The fullsize barrel is 4.25". So if the new one is 4.75", that would be 0.50" longer.

Sorry, misread the specs: 4.25 & 4.50 Still only 1/4" longer. Whether that changes between now and production who knows.

I got the catalog when I was at the S&W Shooting Sports Center in Springfield Mass. a couple weeks ago. A few folks working there said the M&P pro9 was to be aimed at IDPA users who want a longer barrel. Both Springfield (XD9 Tac) and Glock (34) seem to be gaining traction over S&W in this field. I think according to IDPA rules the entire gun has to fit within a box, so maybe that has something to do with not quite a full 5" barrel... so it was explained to me anyway.

By the way... Performance Center 952 = WOW! What an incredible shooting pistol.

E

·
0 Posts
What's the difference between the Pro and regular version? Is the Pro designed more for competitive target shooting, rather than tactical combat shooting? Or is it just an upgraded version 2 M&P?

·
Registered
80 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
Does it look like this in the catalog???

Holie main-sail-kinda'-sight!

Could they come up with a TALLER front sight for it? :?

Glad that one is a prototype and hope they fix that!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Apparently the sights on that gun are Novak prototypes. I recently had a gun through here with them on them and my customer said he got them directly from Novak's.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks Mr. Dan. Just seems that the sights could be a bit shorter.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Aimed at competitive market I believe

Eddo36 said:
What are the Pro series for?

S&W's answer to the Glock 34/35 and probably some others in the USPSA, IDPA and other competitive arenas for this type of production handgun.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Apparently the sights on that gun are Novak prototypes. I recently had a gun through here with them on them and my customer said he got them directly from Novak's.

Was the rear adjustable? I talked to Novaks a few weeks ago and they said they are working on a version of their adjustable rear sight to fit the M&P and it would probably require a new front too. Availablity was quoted as "in a few months."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts