MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HATE those things!

I'm used to the feel of 1911 magazines in my spare magazine carrier, with the lip of the floor plate pointing forward.
But these just feel backwards to me when I grab them, it really throws me off during my lighting fast (HA!) reloading procedure.

Yes, I've heard you could possibly bend an ejector when slamming home the spare without one on...that ever happen to anyone?
Those are some skinny ejectors too, but these magazines are tapered, and ain't that the job of the mag. catch to catch them and prevent them from going too far up?

The magazines feel good without those on too, with the floor plate lip gap acting as a little pinky purchase for gripping that short frame.

Having said all that, how hard is it to obtain and install a new ejector?

(...just in case)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...oh never mind, I worked out my frustration by trying to insert that last round into the magazine a half dozen times.
I've been beaten into submission, it goes back on now.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Glad to hear that you settled down.

First off; I have no problem with the Shield “spacers,” even when shooting my Shield at IDPA practices.

Second; it sounds like you need an UPLULA.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I definitely have maturity issues, but I'm only going on 63 so that is to be expected.

I came really close to grabbing an UPLULA at the LGS just last week, I even received some little plastic assist gizmo from Amazon but they sent one for a double column mag. so it went back.
I've owned maybe a dozen different model Glocks over the years, and they all came with magazine loaders, but I never used them, not even once, but these mags. WOW!

I'm down to only the Shield .40 at this time, so I really can't justify the expense of an UPLULA in my mind, heck I really don't mind the struggle of filling them anymore.

TRUE STORY: I opened the box of my new Shield (oh boy! oh boy!) and after cleaning the pistol, went to load the 6 rounder for the first time..." hey what the...!"

I thought the idiots at S&W messed up and gave me some 9mm magazines!

Nope, the mag said .40 S&W on the side and so did the top of the follower.

I can live with the stiffest mag. springs I've ever encountered, it's just that the extended mag.feels wonderful without that dang spacer!

It stays on, thank you for your concern RickM.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm not sure the Shield mags are tapered, and I could see where it could go past the mag catch slot when slammed home.
Some of the newer mags I got had the spacer much more secure, where it didn't want to slide around.
You could try using some clear silicone to hold the spacer down on the older mags.

I know what you mean, compared to other types of mags, it's easy to grab one of the Shield mags and have it backwards.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well sure they're tapered, I can't recall seeing another single stack magazine that looked quite like that, although it may be too gentle of a shoulder to prevent much.

(semi-double stack?)

Heck every spring on those guns is overpowered, the mag. catch would probably engage the mag. slot, but the slot may be wide enough to allow the mag. to go too far upward anyway.

I really don't mind how the spacer can slip but I was thinking...ever notice how new car door hinges are GLUED, not a screw in them!

If I could get a hold of some of that stuff, I'd cut the front and back off that spacer and use the sides to stop the magazine.

For now I'll just live with it as is.

They sure are cool little guns!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just measured one of my Shield mags, no taper at all in the body, until the very top of the mag near the feed lips.

I wouldn't want to glue spacers too permanently, as one day you'll have to disassemble the mag for cleaning or spring change.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...until the very top of the mag near the feed lips....
Yea that's where I meant.

I've used higher capacity magazines from another model Glock in a Glock without a problem because of that shoulder, but admittedly their shoulders are more pronounced.

I would pinch a thin layer of masking tape between the top of the floor plate and the bottom of the spacer to keep them from sticking together.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I place magazines in the pouch with the front forward. That way, when I grab them, I remove, twist the top "up" and it's ready to insert in the mag. well correctly oriented.

Having said all that, I've used 19 round magazines in my CZ Compacts for years with no issues, same for the P07 and using P09 magazines.

We've all fully loaded our standard capacity magazines and we all know what a PITA it is to get that last round stuffed in there. Makes me think there's little chance of the magazine lips contacting anything during a magazine change.

The only pistol I've seen with a true magazine "stop" built into the design is the FNS. The magazines have a tab that sticks out of the side and contacts the inside of the frame/trigger bar to stop upward movement as the magazine is inserted.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just a few months ago I bought an Uplula at the recommendation of a friend. Best mag loading assist devise I have ever used. Works with 1911, double column mags, and Shield mags, too. I still have one Shield 40 7 round mag that will not take a 7th round, even with the Uplula. Tried swapping out the spring and follower with another 7 round mag and the bad mag still wont take the 7th round. Needs go to back to S&W, but that is a real pain to deal with. BTY, I never felt I needed a Mag assist devise until I bought my first M&P 40. Those are tough mags to load.
Also, when I start carrying my Shield, I plan to carry 2 spare 7 round mags, without the spacers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
... Tried swapping out the spring and follower with another 7 round mag and the bad mag still wont take the 7th round. Needs go to back to S&W...
That is strange.

Had a question about the Uplula, if I am correct the piece that depresses the rounds is metal correct?
Does it scratch or ding the cases when they get difficult to depress?

Hate to bring this thread back up to the top, but my computer is dying and I had to show you what I did to that goofy spacer.

Did you really think I was going to leave it alone?

HA!

I trimmed the tail off while leaving a strap around the back for strength.
I gutted the magazine, scuffed the mag. and the inside the spacer/collar whatever, where they sit together, and glued them with contact cement.

I then immediately and carefully slid the floorplate off so the two would't stick together and allowed the glue to setup.

Now it feels like a typical 1911 magazine with a base pad.

When I first inserted it into the Shield...YEECH! ...looked like a Shield mag. with its tail cut off, but I quickly became accustomed to the look and really like the feel of it now.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Slide the “spacer” up on the mag body a bit,and put a pice of blue painter’s tape around the mag tube where the “spacer” does. Slide the spacer back down over the painters tape. That should keep it in place until you want to move it, and won’t leave any residue, and isn’t permanent like an adhesive.

I haven’t used it on my Shield mags, because they behave for me. I did use the tape on several of my 17 round M&P9 mags that I put X-grips on for use as reloads for my 9c. That was a few years ago, and they still are staying put.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...That should keep it in place until you want to move it, and won’t leave any residue, and isn’t permanent like an adhesive.
I really don't foresee any reason to move it in the future, I just used glue as attachment insurance.

As long as I can remove the floor plate any time I wish, that spacer can stay there permanently.

Now I have another problem, every time I take this gun out into the woods, I take out my home (cabin) defense ammo from the magazine and replace it with plinking ammo.

That is causing the home defense cartridge cases to get all scratched up! (can't have that!)

Went to purchase a spare from Midway, and they wanted a password...a password???

Not a big deal, but...a password???

I ain't James Bond.

Checked on the forum here and all they have is the 6 rounders.

Any deals out there on 7 round .40 S&W magazines that anyone knows about?

And yes, I will modify that stupid spacer just like my other one, I think it turned out great! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can live with the stiffest mag. springs I've ever encountered, it's just that the extended mag.feels wonderful without that dang spacer!

It stays on, thank you for your concern RickM.
I can live with my 40 Shield and M&P 40C magazines (But I do have a UPLULA), they seem easier than my Springfield XD40 Magazines.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can live with my 40 Shield and M&P 40C magazines (But I do have a UPLULA)....
Cheater!

Hey thanks for the locating help guys.
Seems everybody wants a password these days...so be it.

Thanks Again! :cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...Went to purchase a spare from Midway, and they wanted a password...a password???

Not a big deal, but...a password???

I ain't James Bond...
OK here's one for you...

Turns out that Midway is having a sale on Shield magazines, so I decided to purchase one from them.
Bought a ton of stuff from them for different firearms over the years but it has been a while.

Went to check out and they asked me for my...password.

Well, I can't remember my password, so I requested a reset.

They sent me an e-mail, but before they will reset my password, they want to ask me a security question just to make sure it's me.

Fair enough, what's the question?

"What is the expiration date of a debit card you got rid of years ago?"

"Gee, I don't know."

"WRONG ANSWER!"

...see what I mean about passwords.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sent in an e-mail telling them about my problem.
Got some generic reply telling me about the virus.

FINE!

Had a friend order it for me.

...a straw purchase. HA!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Midway: "We're getting your order ready, view details."

"click"

"Whats your password?"

%#@*&!!! :mad:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts