MP-Pistol Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
The way I look at it is you have to have multiple obsessions.
For me it was first 1911s, then Beretta's, then German guns and now S&Ws.
I have quite a few S&Ws that have really pissed me off when new.
I also have a INOX 92 that did the same.
I bought a M&P10 because my M&P15 ran flawlessly.
Under-gassed so it ran .308 fine but wouldn't run NATO 7.62.

Guns are like women, they make a lot of noise but you still love them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
PaPow, so far I'm really liking the m2.0 in both my 9mm and especially in the 45. This may sound crazy but when I'm shooting my m2.0 I forget it's a 45 because of the soft recoil. It's primarily my night stand pistol so most of my shooting has been in the 7 to 12 yard range. When taking my time I have no problem holding some tight groups. With rapid double and triple taps center mass on silhouette targets, let's just say I would not want to be that target. Coming from a Glock background I find the M&P in my hands a lot more accurate than I ever was with Glocks. The m2.0 45 is a lot of fun to shoot, were my 9mm is just boring. So far zero issues with any ammunition I've put through any of my M&P's. Take care my friend and stay safe.
I can totally agree!

I have 3 Shields (two of them 45s) and a recent addition of a full size M&P 2.0 45. The 45s shoot more like 9mm.

Not totally M&P, but along with my FNH models (FNX 40, FNS 40 and FNX 45) they are the best shooting out of the box and so far not a single problem.

The new full size M&P 2.0 45 has also been great out of the box and very accurate as are the others. I find myself with an uncanny urge to shoot it more and more. Woke up this a.m. at 4:30 and my first thoughts were to go out and shoot it....Got to wait until this afternoon though...and yes I have an M&P sickness.

Oh, Welcome Home Brother! Vietnam 68/69.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Shield 9mm
9C v.1
Performance Center 9L with Trijicon SRO apex flat Faced trigger sear etc.
My main competition gun is a CZ Shadow 2 with an SRO on it though.
for USPSA I find steel framed guns are better for double tap shooting.
I wish S&W would put out a steel framed 9L like Walther did with the Q5
I`d look into it if they did, but it`ll likely never happen. Price point (?)
The upper end M&P`s are already more money than they really should be, for what your getting.

If i`m paying the premium for a gun, i at least expect not to have to buy additional components to make it shoot better. I`m stuck with my PC 9L, way to much money in it to make it work right. Huge loss if sold/traded.

I love my M&P`s, but the money and time spent, wasn`t one of my MANY smarter moments with what i have invested in them. The ergo`s is what kept me in the M&P ball field for as long as it has.

Recently, i`ve moved onto a much different path with firearms. Got back into the rifle scene again. The 1,000+yd dash!

Reactions: kmanick

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have several Glocks, but they all reside in the safe. My M&P’s have been multiplying like rabbits.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too Have made the switch to the M&P line up.. I started shooting with Sigs 15years a go.. 400+ rounds a month shortly atfter switched to Kimber 1911, full size and CDP compact. I competed in IDPA for a few years with the full size Kimber. I will alway love the 1911..... however 9 years a go I purchased the M&P installed a new Apex triger...(Wow)
I now own 5 M&P's thats what I now compete with at IDPA events...I still shot 400+ rounds a month between my 4.25 Iron sights and my Core with a red dot. Dont forget to install a good triger in the M&P..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since I already had 3 M&P handguns and 2 M&P rifles when I was ready to add another handgun to my collection I thought I'd try a Ruger and bought a Security 9. I personally don't think it measures up to the standard I'm used to with the S&W's. I've been told that's because it's a value priced model but I paid more for it than I did my Shield and even though the Shield is a 1.0 that people say has a crappy trigger IMO the Ruger trigger was much worse, to the point that I put a Seneschal trigger on it before I could stand to shoot it.

My next purchase will be something in a 45 and it will be an M&P, probably a Compact. No more trying other brands for me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can’t say I’m full m&p but I’m all in Smith. Loved the old steel smith autos and have a 39,59 and 69 of different gens. Love my pc 9l and now have a 2.0 compact 9 4inch that may replace my sd9 as an edc jacket gun. Also looking for a shield now and at least one more rds m&p core or pc in another size to go with the 5. All mine are 9s though, I like economy of scale and ease of ammo.

·
Registered
437 Posts
No. Had a couple 1.0's. Had reliability and accuracy issues with both.

Bought a CZ P07 and that lead to a bucket of CZ's over the past few years. Reliablity, accuracy and they feel good in my hand.

Then I stepped away from CZ's for the first time in 7 or 8 years and bought an odd sort of XD. A 5" Tactical in .45 acp - with ambidextrous thumb safeties. Not a bad pistol. Sort of a hammerless 1911. After a PRP trigger kit install the trigger is much better, but not up to the CZ standards - or the M&Ps with the Apex trigger kits (more on that).

I got my wife a 1.0 PC Shield in 9MM and was pleasantly surprised to find it will outshot the two 1.0 full sized pistols and thought maybe S&W was getting their stuff together on accuracy. So I bought myself a 5" FDE 2.0 9MM. After another almost $400 of Apex trigger kit/file to fit barrel it is beginning to shoot some fairly decent groups.

Then I got a couple FNS pistols. Nope. They don't shoot like CZ's either but one out of 4 set ups/slides does show some promise.

Then, for reasons I won't go into here, I bought a M&P 2.0 Compact .45 acp. Had to do the Apex trigger kit after shooting the big 9MM pistol.

You know what, that darn thing (the new 2.0 Compact) is most likely going to be the most accurate M&P I've ever bought. I say that after a limited range trip but I shot the best M&P group I've ever shot.

If it lives up to it's early performance I may invest in the milling/purchase/installation for an RMR and back up sights for it. Already bought up some 10 round magazines for it. Holster, etc. Carrying it now, around the property for dog walking, working/around the garage and sheds.

I always "heard" that people were pretty happy with the accuracy of the M&P .45's vs. the 9's and .40's, but never bought one till now.

Oh, 230 grain FMJ, 12 yds., 5 shots, fired at a faster pace than I usually fire (I think the Apex trigger got my finger running faster.) Fast enough my brother asked me how many shots I fired as he lost track. Very comfortable level of recoil with the CCI FMJ, too. The lead reloads I shot first (200 grain and 230 grain) kicked harder and only one shot good groups.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, I'm not into semi-auto pistols like most of you guys, but in the last 3 months, 2 M&P's have made it to my safe. A 45 full size, and a 380EZ for my wife. I still love my lever guns, and big bore revolvers, anything that makes a loud noise (LOL). I messed up and bought a AR, great gun, but it just doesn't "move me", I'm selling it this weekend at a gun show.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's my full size M&P 5" Pro series. Apex Barrel, Apex Trigger, 2 lbs, extended mag release, I had my machinist brother-in-law cut the slide. Slide is cerakote black, everything is nickeled plated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice looking gun Vinnie! I bought my first CZ, a P10F, and going the trigger route with it, HB has triggers for a lot less than Apex, like $70 with a striker spring. Reworked my .45 M&P, and now it's better, after S&W couldn't find anything wrong? Doubt if I buy another Smith & Wesson, dead triggers suck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too jumped ship from Glock to M&P9 FS for my carry gun.

All in as I also bought the MGW sight pusher and did the Apex FSS Flat trigger kit.
As close to a 1911 trigger as you can get with a striker fired pistol.

Are you able to replace rear sight with your MGW sight pusher?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I started out in pistols liking the DA/SA trigger, and owned several in 9mm and .45, and I've done the 1911 thing and I have revolvers that I love. But I feel like I'm beyond some of that now and, having bonded nicely with my Shield 9mm, I decided my full size pistol should be an M&P9. I'll keep some of my favorites in other flavors around (like my Glock 21), but I'm going to concentrate on nothing but shooting skills. A full size and CCW size in the same family should be a big help.

And to complement them, I have an MP15 and will soon have a Kel Tec Sub2000 that takes M&P 9mm magazines for some pistol caliber carbine fun.

I don't know how long this will last, but we shall see... :turned:
All the pistols I own are M&P. Seven (7) in total. They keep having offspring inside of the safe at night. :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m 64 and I’ve owned a 1911 Para LDA from Cylinder & Slide I believe, a 1911 Safari Arm Enforcer, A 3913 from Actions by T, a custom Hi-Power, Colt Mustang from Cylinder & Slide and various other pistols. I have now sold them all with the exception of the Hi Power that I’m getting ready to list, and migrated to the M&P platform. I now own a Shield that’s been worked over and a full house custom M&P9 from 10-8 Performance. It may look like I’ve spent a ton of money on customs but I’ve always bought them used and let someone else take the depreciation hit. My two M&Ps are the culmination of my pistol journey and experience and I don’t see trading them for anything else. Reliable, High capacity, accurate, light and comfortable to shoot. And in the case of the Shield, very concealable. I’ve standardized on 9MM and recently traded an old over & under for 4,000 rounds of ammo so I’m good to go. I don’t need 50 yard bullseye pistols but good reliable defensive tools. I think I have that with my M&Ps.

Herrett

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
I now have a 5 inch MP9, a 4.6 inch MP45, and a .45 Shield, all in FDE. The two fullsize ones have Apex fire control parts, all have Tru-Glo TFO sights.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts