MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live in chesapeake va. we have at least 10 walmarts in our area (hampton roads to anyone who has never been here) while shopping at the one closet to me, i came across a savage model 10, 30-06 at a clearance price of $369. i went to another walmart that is close to my range to see if they had any deals similar. i noticed that the rifles and ammo were gone. i spoke to an associate and she said that walmart was phasing out of the rifle and gun industry. she said that walmart was moving to a more "family oriented store enviroment" WTF. walmart was my first choice for ammo, and they have really good deals on rifles and shotguns. since when is hunting not family oriented. how many father and mothers enjoy hunting with their children. i was in shock. tell me that this is just that particular walmart. this is insane.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
That has been a rumor for years, it maybe is some area's, but Walmart would never stop selling long-guns and ammunition in general.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here in MN. the local Wal-Marts have phased out long guns. I asked about it and was told that you can still get them from the online catalog. They just won't be stocking them in the stores anymore. They will continue to stock ammo.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
They have been doing it for quite a while. It is on a store by store basis. If that locale isn't moving firearms, they aren't going to waste the floorspace on it.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
By May of 2008 there will only be a few handfulls of wally world's selling guns

Most will carry ammo.

Just what I was told from a Wal-mart VIP.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Same trend here in PA. It seems like the urban Wal-Marts phased out the long guns but kept the ammunition but the rural stores still have their long guns for now. Retail is all about moving stock and a company like Wal-Mart that is obsessed with "just-in-time" everything in the supply chain cannot afford to "waste" space for product that does not move. If the long guns keep selling in the rural locations, they will keep them but when/if the trend turns, I bet they'll be gone.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Well I guess some of us are going to luck with those great clearance sales...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
bbbdvan81 - The Wal-Mart on Lynnhaven Pkwy in VB has phased out the long guns but not ammo.

They're going to continue to carry ammo but they weren't moving firearms so they stopped selling them.

There was a lot of hoop-la about this on other forums and the "official" word from Wal-Mart was it would be determined on a store-by-store basis.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the input guys. m4arc, i havent been to the lynnhaven store in quite a while, i know that the battlefield store still sells them. i can live without the long gun sales. it is good to know that ammo will still be in stock. i havent found a place in the area that is even close to their price on WWB in value pack. The armory has good deals, you just have to buy in huge quantites. dicks and bass pro if they have a sale, maybe. BTW, Kmart still sells long guns and ammo, but they do not sell handgun ammo. i thought that was weird.

·
Registered
206 Posts
All the Walmarts here stopped selling Rifles and Shotguns about 2 months ago or so.. But they still sell ammo and other gun related products (cleaning kits, targets, etc).. There was a news report that was released about a year ago that Walmart was going to do that.. When I first noticed it about a month or so ago, I had a talk with the Sporting goods manager.. He said that all the guns went on sale as an in store unadvertised sale.. I wish I would have known.. He said they had sold guns at cost to reduce inventory and what they didn't sale they sent back to the warehouse.. I hope they don't stop selling ammo and targets.. There prices on Shoot NC targets are the best around.. LOL

Ben

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
ben2112 said:
All the Walmarts here stopped selling Rifles and Shotguns about 2 months ago or so.. But they still sell ammo and other gun related products (cleaning kits, targets, etc).. There was a news report that was released about a year ago that Walmart was going to do that.. When I first noticed it about a month or so ago, I had a talk with the Sporting goods manager.. He said that all the guns went on sale as an in store unadvertised sale.. I wish I would have known.. He said they had sold guns at cost to reduce inventory and what they didn't sale they sent back to the warehouse.. I hope they don't stop selling ammo and targets.. There prices on Shoot NC targets are the best around.. LOL

Ben

I will be sure to keep my eyes open, but here in rural Louisiana Walmart doesn't have any competition so, I believe here at least they will continue to sell guns...

·
Registered
319 Posts
girl at my local walliworld in stateCollege tells me that they were getting out of selling guns(Which they did. this is while ago), but NOT getting out of ammo buiness. and are getting in to reloading(Which they also did. 2 wallieworld here are both selling reloading supplies now).

WWB from Wallieworld has been supporting my gun shooting hobbies for yeaers. it would be shame for them to get out of ammo buisness, especially since there are no other place selling ammo(will.. Dicks does sells ammo. But $20/box of 20rds is no way compares to $15/box of 100rds WWB at wollieworld...

·
Registered
512 Posts
It has been quite frustrating to watch the Wal-mart come in and start underpricing the gun sales and forcing the local gun stores out of business and now they are phasing out the gun sales. Here in the area they just stopped carrying all firearms but like everyone else has mentioned they continue ammunition sales, but even that is pretty pathetic.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Walmart is known for that.

Back when I was in selling car stereo, i donno how many time i lost sale to them. Those trailerpark kid - they don't care fact pioneer CD player they bought from walmart is NOT same as what we or anyother car stereo dealers were selling

Walmart is soo big that they made Pioneer to make special CD player that came with less feature so that they can sell it cheap - i.e. Pioneer DEH-2000, and Walmart special Pioneer DEH-20. they were about $20 cheaper..)

They do wipe out small local buisness. but as long as local people can save few bucks, they don't care about local buisness.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts