MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
As in SIG Equinox finish... http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/stor..._P220_EQ_lg.jpg

Anyone here done that to their M&P? I'm pretty sure I've seen some pics with M&P's like that. Wondering what would be the best way to get it done? Blasting won't work...I heard Kean Bore lead away cloth can remove bluing, would it work on M&P's finish? Emery cloth?

its easily done just by sanding the flats of the slide, leaving the exposed shiney surface. Id put a clear coat on it after that.

I did it to an M&P, but quickly recoated it, Im not a fan of undue bling on my workin guns.

Some wet/dry sandpaper taped to a granite 12x12 floor tile is just the ticket for this work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
that looks fantastic i used to have an equinox always loved the way the slide looks. Bump for more indept on how to do it or what the cost is.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That gun looks awesome!

I would love to do that mod as well as trimming the beavertail

Anyone knows how what's the best way to get that done?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Let me tell you a related story. When I was a kid and didn't know any better, I tried to sand the black paint off of a metal crossman repeater to give it that polished and shiny look. Twenty-five years later I found the gun in a box of my old things my folks were storing in their attic. It still looked like it did when I gave up on the project decades ago -- scraped up, traces of paint in the crevices, ugly, ugly, ugly. Obviously that thing wasn't stainless steel and only had paint versus whatever black finish M&P's have, but it was a complete monster of a job at that time. I can't remember exactly but I likely hid the gun in that box so my dad wouldn't realize how much damage I'd done to my bb gun. Needless to say, I'm also very reluctant to start this project on my M&P until we have some helpful tips from the folks who succeeded already.

By the way, to wrap up my story, when the bb gun turned up in the box last year, I completely stripped her down to her parts. Used a strong paint remover on the frame to remove all remants of the old paint, polished out some of the deeper scratches from my earlier stupidity, and then repainted her with a strong primer and flat black paint. I could have just gone to the store and bought a new $25.00 bb gun but I felt compelled to fix the mess I had made to this trusty old friend. She came out looking great and is sitting in my safe right now waiting for my kids to get old enough to use.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
guinea, what did you do to make sure you won't take the finish off the other parts of the slide? did you cover it with a some tape?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I read the thread even before I asked (maybe I missed soemthing)... so were you just extra careful?

btw I'm not as brave

·
Registered
88 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
I read the thread even before I asked (maybe I missed soemthing)... so were you just extra careful?

btw I'm not as brave

Yes, I took my time. Rushing through anything will produce poor results.....agreed?

The Guinea

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did mine today
polished the slide and cut the beavertail 8)

I'd post the pics but I don;t have the camera :oops: looks awesome though!

·
Registered
176 Posts
O.k., Gray Wolf, how about some details about how you did it? I'd really like to try this but I think I've got the same types of questions that you were hinting at to Guinea earlier in this thread. What materials did you use, in what order did you apply them, anything you'd do different a second time, etc.? Would appreciate step by step description as to what you did. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will probably get a digital camera soon so will post pics with instractions....makes no sence IMO to post instructions alone...

onebohemian PM sent...

8)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Guess what I spent new years eve doing ???

Turned out pretty good. I started stoning and polishing, then I decided to switch over to sandpaper-wrapped stone to get a more brushed look. All I really needed was some 150grit and some 320. I went as far as 600 on one side, but decided to un-do it with the 320 (600 was too shiny). I think the rougher surface also hides a bit more of the imperfections, which I didn't totally remove - it'll get scratched up anyway, and I'm sure I'll want to touch it up every now and then without removing too much material.

Sorry for the crappy pics - as others have demonstrated, this is a hard finish to get decent pics of indoors...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts