MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This developed yesterday after a range session, approx. 150 rounds fires, WWB. I had no issues and enjoyed shooting, even though my accuracy was off! (It was operator because everything I shot that is normally accurate was way off) Anyway, on the metal frame insert it looks like a welded blob! Wasn't there before. Any thoughts?

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
cant really tell, if you can get your camera to focus on the blob rather than the table we can tell you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Mine is the same way. I called S&W about it and took awhile to explain it. They said that its normal, some pistols have it and some dont. They said it wont effect reliability, but its just a small eye sore. I have over 2000 rounds through mine it still looks the same as it did when I bought it. I wouldnt worry about it unless the two parts start to seperate.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I'd be sending a picture to S&W saying fix this.. I wouldnt have that on my pistol.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Looking at your new edited pic, I can say yours is way worse than mine. Makes me worry, Let me know what smith says about it. I just might have them work on mine or send me the part before it gets worse. whitebb what your serial number mines, MPB35##. Im just hoping its limited to certain pistol productions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MPE75**. Funny thing is that the damage occurred from only 150 rounds. The 500 before it had NO damage at all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
9mm, not a "weld", just looks like one. It was smooth and nicely finished before.

Just got a email from Smith! Said to send it back FED EX overnight, and gave me the account number to bill it to them! That was FAST! Herer is corespondence:

Sir, if you would like to send it in our gunsmiths will be happy to review it. Please see the attachment for shipping instructions.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 7:58 PM

To: Smith & Wesson Support

Subject: M&P9 Concern - with attached picture

I am the original owner of a M&P9. It is the best 9mm pistol I have ever

owned. I went shooting Tuesday and I noticed that the inner frame

section looks pretty beat up. It never looked like this before!. I have

shot approx. 500 Winchester White box through the gun in the past, and

on Tuesday shot about 150 more. The damage I noticed is on the Metal

Frame insert, and only occurred after shooting the 150 WWB (see attached

picture) Should I be concerned?

S*** *****

They attached a letter as well with all the account info etc on how to ship back!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As per instructions from Customer Service, it is already shipped on Smith's dime! Looking forward to it repaired and a new magazine!

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is on most all of them, it's a cast mark (sprue mark) (spell check) as you shoot the gun the finish is removed from the high point in the center, it should not hurt anything, just looks bad.

Some have made a small divit in the barrel ramp (underside), I took this nub off Helmie's MP9 when he first got the gun. I have also removed it on 6 others.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's the problem: The frame insert is "damaged",but not a mark on the underside of the feed ramp. I suppose the barrel is a lot harder than the insert.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The barrel is machined from bar stock, so whatever marks it has are of a different nature.

As far as the frame insert, I agree that it is a sprue mark. The one that cracked on me had it, and the replacment has it too. I Think this part is made by a process called "metal injection molding".

Below is a picture of the same thing on my dirty gun.

It sure looks like something is hitting it to put a dent there, but the dent doesn't match the shape of the notch in the barrel.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Whitebb....

Please let us know what S+W says after they look at it.

Mine could be a twin of yours. Not worried, but curious.

Carteach0

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will Do! Smith and Wesson said to send it in after looking at my pictures, so I did. I eagerly await their answer because I want to shoot it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
hey whitebb, i had the same issue with my M&P it looked like pitting on the part of the locking block the same as yours.

Sent it to smith and wession and about about to weeks later they sent it back and said it tested fine and sent it back with a free Mag.

However they said it was fine, i just didnt like the LOCKING block looking it might break, so i just got a locking block from brownells and put it in myself!!!! works great looks fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts