MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hyatt Guns in Charlotte says they got two of the .45 Compacts in this week and sold them immediately. (My guess is that store personnel took them for themselves, but they didn't admit that.) Anybody else hear about stores getting them in stock?

Cheers,

Whisper

·
Registered
93 Posts
Whisper said:
Hyatt Guns in Charlotte says they got two of the .45 Compacts in this week and sold them immediately. (My guess is that store personnel took them for themselves, but they didn't admit that.) Anybody else hear about stores getting them in stock?

Cheers,

Whisper

None in stock anywhere. Hyatt Guns is lying their teeth out!!! I know this for a fact!!!!

Now if you are talking about the M&P 45. Very likely they are telling the truth.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They know the difference between the compacts and the full-size versions -- they have .40s and 9mms in stock in both sizes, and the .45 full-sizes in stock. If they didn't really get any of the the .45 compacts, they're deliberately lying about it -- no chance they simply made a mistake.

What made their story somewhat plausible is they they are a high-volume dealer and were in fact the first shop in the area to have the .45 full-size in stock. Nevertheless, I didn't see the gun myself and so can't judge the validity of their tale.

Cheers,

Whisper

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wouldn't believe anything they say...half the guys behind the counter will say anything to make you think they are the only place you can get anything. I'll say this.....if you can't find it online, Hyatt's doesn't have it! It's a fact that you can always find stuff searching online before any local store in Charlotte gets it. By the way, are they still asking $695 for their M&P's?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wahoo95 said:
I wouldn't believe anything they say...half the guys behind the counter will say anything to make you think they are the only place you can get anything.

In other words, they're just like 95 percent of all gun stores.

Cheers,

Whisper

·
Registered
21 Posts
the other reason you know they are lying is the M&P Compact in .45 ACP does not exist.

For confirmation just go to the Smith and Wesson website.

I spoke to a Smith and Wesson representative last week, in person, and asked him directly if there were any plans to produce a .45 ACP M&P Compact, and he said, probably, eventually, but it certainly wouldnt be this year....(as an aside, he did say there were plans to try and produce the 9mms and .40s with a manual safety by year's end)

There is

no

M&P Compact .45 ACP

·
Registered
298 Posts
Dont be jealous, I got the only two M&P45 Compacts in existence

·
Registered
3 Posts
u dont want a compact .45

Y would u want a shorter bbl .45 anyway? that round is slow enough as it is. U need velocity for the round to expand and that is what makes a hollow point effective. u take away velocity, like a shorter bbl will, and u take away the effectivness of the round. With the right rig the full size MP45 will conceal just fine. just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Re: u dont want a compact .45

Chris Brandt said:
Y would u want a shorter bbl .45 anyway? that round is slow enough as it is. U need velocity for the round to expand and that is what makes a hollow point effective. u take away velocity, like a shorter bbl will, and u take away the effectivness of the round. With the right rig the full size MP45 will conceal just fine. just my 2 cents worth.
Incidentally, the proposed compact 45 is expected to come with a 3.5" barrel according to S&W.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Official word from S&W is that no Compact .45 is even on the design board as of yet. Too much of a backlog on the rest of the line to catch up with. Right now, the push is to make the current line as perfect as possible. The goal of the engineering staff is to get the quality to the point that the minimal hand fitting that still exists is reduced even further, or even eliminated.

As it is, large sections of the plant are being refurbished to handle the volume and S&W is going to vigorously pursue the contract for a new Military sidearm once the government gets its act together.

This was on the news wires a few days ago:

SPRINGFIELD, Mass., May. 15 (UPI) -- Smith-and-Wesson started shipping to retailers an updated .45-caliber pistol and is ready to supply the U.S. military if it decides it needs a new sidearm.

The military has been exploring the possibility of going back to a heavyweight .45 as a standard sidearm to replace the current 9mm weapon that has been in use since the 1980s. The 9mm pistol is considered by critics to be more of a welterweight.

"We are also aware that multiple branches of the military have expressed a desire to shift from their current 9mm weapons to either a .40- or .45-caliber duty weapon for greater stopping power," company President Leland Nichols said in a statement Monday. "We are now currently shipping both .40 and .45 calibers, as well as a 9mm, in the M-and-P (Military and Police) Pistol Series, and are fully prepared to address either requirement, should the U.S. military initiate a request for purchase."

The momentum toward a change in handguns seemed stalled when an Air Force request for a purchase of .45s was dropped from a supplemental defense appropriations bill so the Pentagon could study the idea further.

The new .45 produced by Smith-and-Wesson in New England is part of a line of polymer pistols launched in 2005 and is being shipped to retailers. The use of polymer reduces the weight of the gun and was made popular by Glock.

The new .45 comes with a 10-plus-1 magazine with an optional 15-shot available. There are interchangeable grips.

As it is, some of the long time S&W clients for non-firearm work are being told that S&W will not be able to service their needs due to the increased demand.

On the flip side, there is also currently no plan to create uppers for the M&P series using Scandium. I asked if a custom would be possible and the price I was given was crazy high due to the interruption of production, different milling bits, and other costs involved.

When the slides come off the CNC machines, they are pretty much complete. They are then sent out for the coating to be applied. I joked with one of the purchasing people that they could sell a 'premium' 2-tone and actually save $$ in production costs.

Still no Dark Earth frames in production. Since S&W does not do the Polymer in-house, that whole issue is a subcontractor problem that they would not get into details about.

It is actually amazing to see how much of the factory is modernized with the CNC machines and then see the next area with the old manual lathes and such. S&W is still committed to keeping the old tech alive as long as possible for both repairs and for short order part needs.

Still, the skilled workers who turn out the various small parts are all "old timers" and nobody is in line to replace them. I won't be many years before all that skill is a memory.

Just outside the forging area (and S&W is still committed to forging their own pieces) are two of the original rifling machines. These pieces of equipment are so massive that the renovation of the factory go on around them. Even today, the target grade .22s are all given their rifled bores on these early 20th century tools.

If you ever get a chance to tour the factory (by appointment only) and you are in the engraving area, walk to the back of that area and you will get to see a bunch of things that isn't in any catalog. I got to handle a prototype M&P 9mm long barrel with some unique features that I am not able to discuss. IPSC anyone?

I could go on and on... I could talk about certain aluminum castings I saw, various Performance Center specials, and such, but I don't want any of you drooling too bad and shorting ot your computers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
trio said:
the other reason you know they are lying is the M&P Compact in .45 ACP does not exist.

For confirmation just go to the Smith and Wesson website.

I spoke to a Smith and Wesson representative last week, in person, and asked him directly if there were any plans to produce a .45 ACP M&P Compact, and he said, probably, eventually, but it certainly wouldnt be this year....(as an aside, he did say there were plans to try and produce the 9mms and .40s with a manual safety by year's end)

There is

no

M&P Compact .45 ACP

BINGO!!!!

That was what was behind my lying comment. I actually meant it in a joking matter BTW.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts