MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Currently T&E some M&P's for possible adoption for duty and off duty. A few issues popped up.

We have full/ compact/ 9mm and .40 fyi

While shooting the floor plates are coming forward? This is happening while shooting. Also while dropping the empty mag free some are (floor plates) also moving forward after hitting the ground. Wondering if this is an isolated incident? I didn't see any other posts about this. Seems to only be happening with the C models.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The mag butt plate catch is supposed to hold the butt plate by means of the hole in the butt plate.

Is the butt plate sliding past the catch? How far are they moving forward?

Have you talked to anyone at S&W about this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Havent' called Smith yet. Wanted to shoot some more with them. The plates are coming half off most of the time, some times 1/4 off. Yes it is slipping past the stud. I have also had issues with the mags ejecting on there own. We switched to a larger palm swell and that reduced the problem, but more trigger time is needed to see.

I have never had a floor plate come off while shooting before. Yes sometimes they dis-engage when dropping the mag free.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Some people have had problems with mags dropping out during firing. S&W replaces the mag catch; and that fixes that problem. If you have a particular gun that's dropping mags, call Smith and have them send you a new mag catch.

I don't know about the butt plates sliding forward. That's a new one on me. I would definitely disassemble the mags, clean them, and take a look at them. My mags had a bunch of oil collected in the bottom of them from the factory. Can you press the butt plates off with your thumb? Specifically what mags are doing this (which gun, extended or flush mag)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just the ext. mags are doing this. I think the guns were sent as new, so the oil could be an issue. I will check it out when I get back to work.

The mags are not dropping out on the full size guns. Mainly just the .40C, don't think it happened on the 9c yet.

I have a firm grip and have med-large hands. I can see that when I grip there is considerable down pressure on the ext. mag lip. That coupled with the higher recoil of the .40 may be part of the problem, or it could just be the mag catch? I just thought now I could try shooting the full size mag in the C and see if it does it.

In switching to the larger palm swell I can see my middle finger is moved a little farther from the mag release. I am an instructor so I use a agressive thumbs forward grip. I noted that while gripping the gun (down pressure noted before) it only takes a very small movement on the mag release to drop the mag. So I am unsure at this point if its me or the gun? I could be bumping it with my reaction palm or the middle finger of my strong hand. Have never had this problem with any other pistol so far though. I used to have a CS9 and currenlty CCW my Kahr P9 which is a small pistol as well.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
You could take a mag catch out of one of the M&Ps that does not drop mags. Put it in the M&P that does drop mags. If it still drops mags, it's probably your grip. Also try switching the mag catch to the other side of the pistol. I know you wouldn't leave it there, but that way you could check to see if it's your grip releasing the mags.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The mag catches are faulty. My full size .40 is going back for the second time for this problem. The mag popping our 1/4". I'm sure I'm not touching the mag release button.

·
Registered
757 Posts
We haven't seen the mags dropping in testing or service, but we didn't test/don't issue the compact. You might put a little grease or something on the release to see if someone is actually touching the it. I'd suggest spotting blue, grease is easier to clean off.

I know that with my grip, I can't shoot thumbs forward on the M&P. I have slide stop early issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I met with the Rep. on Friday. He swapped out the mag catch. He explained what the problem was. The new ones are laser cut and are several points harder on the scale. Apparently the old way they were cut would leave one side softer than the other. You could see where the catch was peening over on one side. He also said it seems to happen more after the mag is about half empty. The mag is less rigid then and flexes more. All this combined can lead to the problem.

I wonder if those that are having issues could just request a new style mag release be shipped out? It is easy to install and would be much eaiser and cheaper for everyone than shipping guns back and forth.

We had other issues to discuss and I completely forgot to ask about the floor plates. I will address that with him via email.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts