MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering is during the last ban if you were still able to buy parts for your AR's?? Were there any parts you couldn't get??

Mainly I was thinking about buying a new stripped lower receiver (since in NJ that is the only part of an AR I have to get thru a FFL dealer, everything else can be shipped to my door) and just puttin it in my cabinet in case I feel the need to build another. If one can still buy the parts to build it & I had the only restricted piece prior to any new ban I should still be legal ... at least one would think so anyway.

Just wanted some opinions on this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looking at HR1022 and SR645, they would ban, "any part or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a firearm into a semiautomatic assault weapon, and any combination of parts from which a semiautomatic assault weapon can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person."

But it hasn't passed, yet. No one could know if there were another AWB, what it would say.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If they pass one and you have one do you get grandfathered?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would think that it would be grandfathered. After all, there are a lot of very large and powerful automatic weapons out there there were grandfathered in the 86 auto weapons ban. I think the whole concept of the government coming to take your gun for the "greater good" in America would cause some very bad things to go down, to what extent I'm not sure because it's never really happened on a large scale. There are a lot of AR type guns out there though. Not to mention all of the AKs and other "assault weapons."

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
sof said:
That's the million dollar question!

Let's hope the Senate and House remain where draconian regressive laws like this won't get passed, and if they did, they would get a veto.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
G56 said:
[quote name='sof']If they pass one and you have one do you get grandfathered?
That's the million dollar question!

Let's hope the Senate and House remain where draconian regressive laws like this won't get passed, and if they did, they would get a veto.[/quote]

If they don't, they will have one hell of a fight. I hope the politicians have the balls to come and take it themselves.

·
Registered
33 Posts
sof said:

I believe it has to be built into a rifle to pass, or at least built at one time or another. I'm pretty sure thats what I heard about the last ban anyway.

Jon

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Last ban, if you hadn't built it into a preban, you could only build it into a post-ban config.

HR1022, if it ever goes anywhere, doesn't allow for grandfathered items, it's a come and take them from you kind of ban.

·
Registered
55 Posts
raz-0 said:
Last ban, if you hadn't built it into a preban, you could only build it into a post-ban config.
That's was one of the useless parts about the last one? How do you prove or disprove it was 'built' prior to the ban? S645 adds, "The serial number of any semiautomatic assault weapon manufactured after the date of the enactment of this sentence shall clearly show the date on which the weapon was manufactured."

raz-0 said:
HR1022, if it ever goes anywhere, doesn't allow for grandfathered items, it's a come and take them from you kind of ban.
We all just have to make sure it doesn't go anywhere!!!! But, there is a grandfather clause, "shall not apply to any firearm...which is otherwise lawfully possessed on the date of the enactment of this subparagraph."

But, if the Democrats keep control in the House and Senate, they'll probably scrap this one and write one that's worse! Which presidential candidate would stand up them?

·
Registered
100 Posts
it was introduced in early Feb and it hasnt even been scheduled for debate yet. It even has half as many co-sponsors, as the orignal renewal of the old ban in 2003 (which was never debated either). So things are looking good not even to move forward

1 - 10 of 10 Posts