MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if any of you were into archery as a sport or bow hunting? I just got a bow this weekend, it's an old compound bow. From what I hear it's about 20 -30 years old but in good condition. I also found an archery site that has been very helpful, just like this one has been for me. I have never picked up a bow until this weekend and it hasn't been too bad. It's been pretty fun, except for the chasing down arrows when I miss the target. I sure have been getting alot of excersize over the past 2 days
I picked up this bow because it"s something I can shoot in my backyard and have some fun. Here it is.

(dam I need a hair cut)

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
wheres that ccw afro holster from the last pic when you need it????
I too have thought about getting a bow for backyard fun

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have 2 hunting bows... a Bear bow from around the 50s, and a compound from around the 80s. The compound is set to 150 lb draw, and the Bear is... well, it is supposidly 50 lbs, but I doubt that.

Bow are fun, congrats.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
150lbs. that must be a mean draw. This one is set at about 60 and it's tough, me personally I wouldn't be able to handle more then a 70lb. effectively. I'm just starting out. I went to an archery proshop toady and was amazed by the bows they have now. Really modern looking stuff. Price range from $300- $1500. I never knew they were that expensive, and that they had so many different accessories. I almost went crazy. My wife is gonna kill me if I pick up a new hobby.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Mrgrinch233 said:
150lbs. that must be a mean draw. This one is set at about 60 and it's tough, me personally I wouldn't be able to handle more then a 70lb. effectively. I'm just starting out. I went to an archery proshop toady and was amazed by the bows they have now. Really modern looking stuff. Price range from $300- $1500. I never knew they were that expensive, and that they had so many different accessories. I almost went crazy. My wife is gonna kill me if I pick up a new hobby.

Good thing about compounds, is that the draw gets easier the further you go out. Due to the pullies, the effective poundage is a lot different then the felt poundage.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grimwulff said:
Good thing about compounds, is that the draw gets easier the further you go out. Due to the pullies, the effective poundage is a lot different then the felt poundage.
kool thanks I didn't know. like I said it's all new to me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I love to bow hunt and am actually nearing the rut for whitetails here in Missouri. I shoot an XP32, basically a Hoyt that is a bass pro exclusive and have it set for a 72 lb draw....I love it. I actually prefer bow hunting to that of rifle, due to the increased challenge. I actually have a Fred Bear from the early 60's (recurve) and one that I made myself.... I have taken deer with both and took a 149" deer with the bow that I made.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
If I could I would still Bow Hunt rather than with a gun. I worked my way through the Compound phase and ultimately went to a custom 65# Recurve with which I took an Elk in 1992. Archery is great fun and very good excersize.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

:twisted:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I also have a Bear compound bow. Not sure exactly how old it is but its fairly old. It was my grandfathers, then my uncle's now mine. This is my second year bow hunting and I enjoy it. I still have yet to kill a deer with it but I did kill me a coyote last year with it. It's a fun sport to get into.

Mrgrinch233, what was the site you found that you found helpful?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a Bear Whitetail Hunter II. Great Compound Bow from the 1980's. Unique pully and wheel system has direct set increments for poundage - no guessing if you have top and bottom set the same.

I *HAD* a Bear Cub 40lb recurve that was just a plain delight to shoot. Smooth as waxed ice and classy, dark brown natural wood with no mount points, no sights, nothing other than a small arrow rest finger to distract from the simple elegance.

Sadly - loaned to a friend who was taking an archery class and his car was broken into. He lost a laptop and his radio - I lost a 30 year old bow. I lost more.

I wish there were more places in my part of Michigan to shoot. I live in a built up burb - no back yard shooting here.....if there were more places - I'd get a new recurve for sure....

Fred

·
Registered
150 Posts
Took up bowhunting 6 years ago, and have never looked back. Gun hunted whitetails all my life in the Adirondacks of NY. Nothing beats drawing on a critter at 25 yards. Shoot a Browning Rage at 70 lbs w/ 65% letoff. Getting 270 ft. per sec. out of it. (carbon arrows of course, 85 grain broadhead)Enjoy the new hobby.....

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
nevrbvictim said:
Took up bowhunting 6 years ago, and have never looked back. Gun hunted whitetails all my life in the Adirondacks of NY. Nothing beats drawing on a critter at 25 yards. Shoot a Browning Rage at 70 lbs w/ 65% letoff. Getting 270 ft. per sec. out of it. (carbon arrows of course, 85 grain broadhead)Enjoy the new hobby.....
Maybe in 5 years I will understand all of that
:wink:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Grim, that has got to be a typo! 150lbs.? I have been in bow hunting and archery leagues for almost 20 years, never heard of anything even close to that
. Average for a newer bow is around 75lbs. I may not know what I am talking about so please feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Grim, that has got to be a typo! 150lbs.? I have been in bow hunting and archery leagues for almost 20 years, never heard of anything even close to that
. Average for a newer bow is around 75lbs. I may not know what I am talking about so please feel free to correct me.

To my knowledge the highest poundage compound bows were around 90 pounds back in the early 80's. I use to go to a shop were the owner change out the limbs to produce a bow that had a draw weight of 130 pounds. One pull and that was it for me. No way you could shoot thing enough to practice with it.

New bows don't need that much poundage because they have more technology and work better than the old ones. For example a 50 pound bow today will shoot as fast has a 90 pound bow from the eighties.

The first true hunting bow that I owned was a Martin Wart Hog, draw weight 85 pounds. Most bows now max out around 70 pounds and there are many models that won't go over 60 pounds.

Plenty of cross bows made with 150 pound draw weight.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
"Also new is the Delta Storm, a 150-pound draw collapsible recurve crossbow for the high-tech hunter. With folding stock, take-down prod, and folding stirrup, the Delta Storm is a one-of-a-kind item every collector will want."

ETA: don't forget, you can get about anything custom made in the bow world. When I was living in Oklahoma, I was living with a bow instructor, and his collapsible recurve was... I think between 90 and 120.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, I am really enjoying the archery thing because I can shoot in my backyard. The problem is the more I learn the more I want a new bow. A good bow isn't cheap. More expensive then my MP40. I realized that I shold have done more research before purchasing my bow. Now that I have an idea of what I want, my wife keeps asking me why do youy want another bow, you just got that one. Now that I found a local proshop It's like I want that and that and that ...... Boy is this new hobby going to put me in the dog house. The bow I really like will run me $450-$600 used. It's called a Martin Scepter4. $899-$999 new with no accessories.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Big difference between a crossbow and a recurve/compound type bow!

Yea, hence the one I posted said 'recurve'

I think my local sporting goods store even has 100+ lb crossbows :?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts