Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...LOCAL/801020457

10:26 AM January 2, 2008

Armed customer thwarts grocery robbery

By Vic Ryckaert

[email protected]

A 51-year-old man stopped a masked man from robbing a Far-Southside grocery store and held him at gunpoint until police arrived.

Charlie Merrell was in checkout line at Bucks IGA Supermarket, 3015 S. Meridian St., when a masked man jumped a nearby counter and held a gun on a store employee at 5:17 p.m. Monday, according to a police report made public today.

While the suspect was demanding cash from the workers, the police report states that Merrell pulled his own handgun, pointed it at the robber and ordered him to put down his weapon.

When the suspect hesitated, Merrell cocked the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber, Officer Jason Bockting wrote in the report.

The suspect placed his gun and a bag of cash on the counter, dropping some of the money, police said. The suspect removed his mask and lay on the floor. Merrell held the suspect at gunpoint until officers arrived and took him away in handcuffs.

Merrell had a valid permit to carry the handgun, police said. Police recovered an unloaded .380-caliber handgun from the suspect and $779 in cash, according to the report.

Dwain Smith, 19, was arrested on initial charges of robbery, criminal confinement, pointing a firearm, battery and carrying a handgun without a license. Smith remained held this morning in the Marion County Jail with bond set at $30,000, records show.

-----------------------------------------------

Is it just me or do they make it sound like Merrell is a bad guy for holding the REAL BG at gunpoint till police arrived?

I guess thats typical media but that really pisses me off.

Way to go Merrell though. Glad to see something positive for CCW even though they dont make that point.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hmm... I did not read into that story what you did. Didn't seem like they were making him the bad guy at all.

I am however wondering if what he did was "tactically" correct. Need more info...Turns out the guy had an unloaded weapon. What if it wasn't unloaded? Was he still holding a clerk at gun point?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Chalk one up for the good guys. Goes to show the power of a slide lock click. We can second guess why there was not one in the tube, but it could be his comfort level. No problem there. The situation would dictate your coarse of action, and it seems (correctly so)that Charlie felt his was the one to take. No where is it written that just because you draw your weapon, do you have to shoot. It is just you have made the personal decision that you are willing to kill another being if it goes much further. Besides it is less paper work then if that round leaves the barrel. Not to mention you loose your weapon during the investigation if someone is shot.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Heatho said:
Hmm... I did not read into that story what you did. Didn't seem like they were making him the bad guy at all.

I agree 100% they threw in all facts and no judgement IMHO glad noone got hurt

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
When the suspect hesitated, Merrell cocked the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber,
If the robber had a loaded weapon the hero could have a big problem, if you are going to carry, carry it fully loaded!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Maybe it was loaded, but he racked the slide for theatrics to force the BG to make up his mind whether to surrender or not. It doesn't say whether it was loaded or not, just that he racked the slide to chamber a round.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
If the "hero" didn't have a round chambered its a useless weapon. If he did have a round chambered but racked the slide anyway to be persuasive, then he lost one round. Either way, not a good idea.

·
Registered
65 Posts
OK... so, I still have a question. I'm assuming that the BG had an employee at gun point. Is it wise to then pull your gun and say "drop it"? Is your line of fire clear if he is holding someone close at gun point? Probably not. My hope is that BG was no longer holding someone at gun point and that the good guy had a clear line of fire. Don't get me wrong I'm glad it turned out like it did... but I think this could have been a different news story if the BG was loaded and he was still holding someone at gun point when he was told to drop the weapon.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
choochboost said:
If the "hero" didn't have a round chambered its a useless weapon. If he did have a round chambered but racked the slide anyway to be persuasive, then he lost one round. Either way, not a good idea.
I agree with you chooch but if it was a revolver or on old school 1911 where you had to manually pull the hammer back. THe news will never give 100% of the story

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
I would also hope that no one that carries a revolver will cock it in a defensive situation, that is an extremely bad idea!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I would unfortunately shoot a bad guy who had a weapon pointed at a clerk. If he has a weapon pointed at someone you are completely justified. Then I'd kick him while he was down for making me shoot him. 8)

·
Registered
521 Posts
I agree, I'm not LEO or a "hero"... I'd just let him take the store's money and be a good witness. If he were firing shots or roughing up the cashier to the point where I thought someone might die, I'd probably take action, but I wouldn't try to play cops and robbers with the guy. If my gun is coming out of the holster, I'm going to shoot.

Think of this scenerio, a rookie cop (or another want to be hero CCW from outside the store) sees you holding a man at gunpoint...then what? There is too much bad that can come from doing a good deed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
choochboost said:

I agree! It could have cost him his life.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i'll never understand why people carry a pistol with out one in the chamber. What if he had short stroked it under the stress of the situation and it jamed. Glad it worked out in his favor though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
99ncxj said:
i'll never understand why people carry a pistol with out one in the chamber. What if he had short stroked it under the stress of the situation and it jamed. Glad it worked out in his favor though.

I would guess it's because they really do not understand how their firearm works. Add to that, they might actually believe guns shoot all by themselves! :roll:

·
Registered
521 Posts
99ncxj said:

Its so they can rack the slide in a form off intimidation, like working the action of a pump shotgun in cruiser-ready!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Don't you mean "cock" the slide, like the newspaper article said?

I'm still trying to figure out how to cock the slide on my M&P. Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts