MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried 4 Arredondo mag extensions in a practice IPSC Stage today. 2 were setup for my 9MM and 2 for the .40. Both pistols are well broken in and neither has ever incurred FTE's prior to this practice. The 9MM has in the region of 4000 flawless cycles and the .40 1500 to 2000. Both incurred FTE jams on multiple occasions when using the extended Magazines. The problems occurred as the mag reached the final rounds which make me believe inadequate spring pressure is the culprit.

Zero problems occurred today when using stock Mag's.

Stock springs are definitely marginal as I had to select from 9 magazines to get 4 which will operate the slide lock when empty.

I am putting my extensions away untill +10% or so springs become available.

I like the idea of 20+ rounds for IPSC shoots but don't feel they are reliable without new springs.

Enjoy :twisted:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey COlt.. i have two of these basepads i cant use. I have a 40 10rd mags so they dont fit. If you want the extensions.. let me know

·
Registered
495 Posts
I am mentioned on the TaylorFreelance webpage as I helped in trouble shooting his basepads for the CZ 75 tactical sports. Had the same issues with the slide not locking back with the stock springs. Switched to the long Glock springs and the problem went away never to return. Now, since the glock and CZ don't use the same springs but they worked perfectly I am wondering if the same spring would work in the M&P? Worth a try.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just tried a Glock +10% spring, Wolff #75373. Had to trim and re-bend the top where it clips onto the follower. The upper coils are much closer together (left-right) than stock spring, otherwise they are quite similar. There is definitely enough pressure to operate the slide lock. However; I was only able to load 17 rounds. I am not certain why the reduction in capacity but will work with it some more after this week's shoot.

:twisted:

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
How old are your mags?

I have my old mpa series wore out springs and they locked back the slide every time?

I actually loaded the mags and left them loaded for a week at full cap.

hmm, interesting

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jester said:
How old are your mags?

I have my old mpa series wore out springs and they locked back the slide every time?

I actually loaded the mags and left them loaded for a week at full cap.

hmm, interesting

Hey Jester,

My .40 is MPAXXXX and the 9MM is MPBXXXX I also purchased some extra mags plus got 2 in the recent mag offer. I expect their mfg. dates span a year or more. 4 of them will operate the slide lock with the extension installed but are not reliable in terms of feeding the gun. I haven't given up on them yet but as stated earlier, believe stronger springs will be required to achieve the level of reliability I require. The pistols and mags are absolutely reliable in stock configuration. My objective is to reduce re-loads in our local IPSC shoots not increase. I wouldn't use the extensions for carry mag's so that's not an issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I posted this in another forum and Mr. Arredondo read the review. As has been my experinece with Arredondo Accessories, I'm sure Ralph will stand behind his products and will take care of his customers. My experience with the Arredondo Mag Extensions:

We got 8 of the Arredondo pads for my sons M&P40s. We can load them to 20 although sometimes it takes a little magic (like hitting them on the bench so the follower moves down). Reliability of the mags with the base pads installes has been great. No failures to feed. When my son tried them for the first time at a match, I'm sorry to say that he had more involuntary mag disassemblys than we care for. During mag changes, when dropped and even once at LAMR.

Thus, I'd recommend Mr. Arredondo to revise the design. The alternatives would be to

1 - add a set screw on the back to avoid the pad slipping forward

2 - or including with them an insert like the one he makes for his STI pads.

In the meantime I modified some of them by adding a self-tapping screw on the back, so we don't have to pick up our mags from the ground in pieces every time they hit the deck.

Good product that needs a little further attention.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Ok, up date.

They just sent me updated spring plates to keep the pad from coming off..

If you bought some from me, email me and I'll send some out to you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Jester said:
Ok, up date.

They just sent me updated spring plates to keep the pad from coming off..

If you bought some from me, email me and I'll send some out to you.

Excellent! I knew Arredondo would come up with a fix! BTW, I just spoke to them and if you send them your existing base pad inserts, they'll replace them with the new ones.

Dont' you wish car companies would do the same?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Atrredond Extension 9mm

Tried today-first time. Loaded and fed 23 rounds but slide did not lock back.

Tried several times-fed last rounds fine but no lock back.

Will wait for slightly stronger springs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: Atrredond Extension 9mm

The Fish said:

Speed Shooter Specialties has ISMI extra power magazine springs designed to work with extended base pads.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Mag ext

Got my springs from Kenny today and intalled it. Will try at the range Wed.

Only thing is there is no hook on the top of the spring to put it in the

follower hole? Looks like it will work, but I would have liked it to hook to

the follower like orig. Kenny was great to deal with. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Re: Atrredond Extension 9mm

The Fish said:

Today(8/14) the mag fed the last rounds AND locked back the slide. I don't understand but to be sure I'm switching to the stronger spring.

·
Registered
599 Posts
mag spring

Took my MP full size to the range Wed. with mag ext and ext spring from

SSS. They both worked great, slide locked back every time. +1 for SSS

and Kenny. Thank you

·
Registered
599 Posts
mag ext

Kenny gave me a great idea to try a mag ext on the 40c and use a stock 15 rnd

mag spring. As soon as I get a couple extra of 40c mags ,I will try it,and let you know.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Vermilion said:
Would it be possible to use these on the compacts? Say 18rds for 9mm and 16 (i think?) for 40?
if you do you could probably take the spring out of a full size and use that

1 - 20 of 24 Posts