MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experience with these as far as durability....security......etc.? I like the weight of the hinged

cuffs, but was always taught in the academy that the keyway should always be pointed up when

possible. Hence, I am a little shy of keyways on both sides of the cuff. I also heard that there

were some lock problems in early production...Have these been ironed out?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I like the light wieght of them. They dont fit in a standard pouch, I use a strap. I haven't had mine very long. I cant reccomend or NOT reccomend them as I haven't had them that long. When winter is over I'll know more. Its wierd not haveing all metal cuffs, kinda like when I switched from an all steel pistol to a polymer one?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a set of American Handcuff Company hinged cuffs, which are ultralight. They are great

cuffs but ASP bought the company before they started making cuffs. I had hoped that ASP

would manufacture the same cuff, but I guess not.

Barring any info / experience with ASP, I am looking for equipment to "lighten the load" on my

duty belt. Any other suggestions on lightweight hinged cuffs??? I carry standard Peerless

hinged now, which are great, but like I said, would love to lighten up on equipment.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
breech said:
Hiatts makes a set of lightweight hinge cuffs.

I have a set of the Hiatts lightweight cuffs, and they ARE light, but all the edges are sharp and could

injure a prisoner. I believe LASD quit issuing Hiatts for exactly this reason.

( Before anyone goes off about me being concerned about "injuring prisoners", they should look at

some of the things LEO's have been sued for.....Cops have been sued for injuries sustained from

improperly applied or too tight handcuffs. )

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've got a set and haven't had any problems with them. They say that a regular cuff key won't fit them, but they will...that's the only thing negative that I've found. Hope it helps. I wouldn't hesitate getting another set, in fact I probably will.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've got a set and haven't had any problems with them. They say that a regular cuff key won't fit them, but they will...that's the only thing negative that I've found. Hope it helps. I wouldn't hesitate getting another set, in fact I probably will.

They require a different cuff case, they do not fit the Safariland cuff case for S&W etc.

·
Registered
230 Posts
They require a different cuff case, they do not fit the Safariland cuff case for S&W etc.

Not real sure why you quoted me on that, I didn't make a reference about a cuff case, but you are right; a standard cuff case will not work...but thanks for the input. However, ASP claims that their cuffs are more secure because they take a special cuff key, but that isn't true. A standard cuff key will unlock ASP handcuffs.

·
Registered
348 Posts
1. mine use standard key

2. they do not fit a case, but I use straps anyways

3. they are nice and light

4. no failures yet.

fwiw, ymmv

·
Registered
9 Posts
Been using S&Ws for 30 years. Young officer shows me his new ASP cuffs and I think "WOW". Buy a set. Double keyway, half the weight. No brainer. Then another officer from a neighboring jurisd. shows me his "broken" ASPs that his suspect managed to break while he is wrestling them on him. The removable lock section just snapped in two.

Back to the S&Ws.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Been using S&Ws for 30 years. Young officer shows me his new ASP cuffs and I think "WOW". Buy a set. Double keyway, half the weight. No brainer. Then another officer from a neighboring jurisd. shows me his "broken" ASPs that his suspect managed to break while he is wrestling them on him. The removable lock section just snapped in two.

Back to the S&Ws.

ASP will replace them.

That officer must not have been told about the recall on the old locking system. They fixed that in Jan so his must have been a older set.

Ive had mine about 5 months and they are OK but I'll stick to my Peerless thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a set and they broke on me. They would not unlock. I took them back. I have been told they were some of the first and since then the ASPs have been fixed or made better. I will stick to my S&W hinged cuffs.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Back to the S&Ws.

A buddy on my department had a dude in the back of his car one night proving him a courtesy transport to the city's bed and breakfast when he started saying, "I'm gunna break these ----ing cuffs."

Guy wasn't big, quite the contrary, was more of a pencil necked geek than anything. But sure enough, he managed to snap the hinge of the Peerless 801 handcuffs he was in by twisting them enough to break the link pins in the hinge. If he was on anything it was pretty much just piss and vinegar and the cuffs weren't more than a year old.

Funny part was that my buddy actually got a restitution check from the guy some time later...

Personally, I like how the S&W hinges are constructed where there is a solid one piece hinge rather than the link chains that Peerless uses.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used to love the ASP handcuffs. I even got their handcuff instructor certification at the same time I got my baton instructor certification. I accumulated probably six pairs of hinged and chain models. Couldn't get enough of them....

Then one day, another officer and I had to struggle with a suspect under arrest. As we are fighting with him and getting his hands behind his back, I pull out my ASP cuffs, and it happens -

As I'm getting the cuff around his wrist, he's still wrestling and struggling, placing some stress on the cuff. As I'm bringing the bow around, it doesn't go inside like it's supposed to. It was torqued, and slid on top of the cuff (visualize the bow covering up the keyholes and double-lock on one side). Thankfully, since there were two of us, and the suspect wasn't super violent, everything worked out alright. I had to pull the bow back, and then force it go in into proper alignment. However, that instance was enough for me that I will not carry ASP handcuffs any more. The plastic simply does not have enough torsional rigidity to prevent this from happening. The guy was not using anywhere near super human strength, just being your basic a-hole trying to fight. And it was nothing that I've been able to recreate with metal handcuffs (S&W, Peerless, Hiatts) since.

I urge any and all leo's that are using ASP cuffs to try this and see for yourselves, and then stop carrying them. It doesn't take much effort at all - simply apply a little bit of pressure to the bow as you're bringint it around, and you'll see how it won't line up. This provides a suspect just a little extra time to be free, and we all know that that is a bad thing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used to love the ASP handcuffs. I even got their handcuff instructor certification at the same time I got my baton instructor certification. I accumulated probably six pairs of hinged and chain models. Couldn't get enough of them....

Then one day, another officer and I had to struggle with a suspect under arrest. As we are fighting with him and getting his hands behind his back, I pull out my ASP cuffs, and it happens -

As I'm getting the cuff around his wrist, he's still wrestling and struggling, placing some stress on the cuff. As I'm bringing the bow around, it doesn't go inside like it's supposed to. It was torqued, and slid on top of the cuff (visualize the bow covering up the keyholes and double-lock on one side). Thankfully, since there were two of us, and the suspect wasn't super violent, everything worked out alright. I had to pull the bow back, and then force it go in into proper alignment. However, that instance was enough for me that I will not carry ASP handcuffs any more. The plastic simply does not have enough torsional rigidity to prevent this from happening. The guy was not using anywhere near super human strength, just being your basic a-hole trying to fight. And it was nothing that I've been able to recreate with metal handcuffs (S&W, Peerless, Hiatts) since.

I urge any and all leo's that are using ASP cuffs to try this and see for yourselves, and then stop carrying them. It doesn't take much effort at all - simply apply a little bit of pressure to the bow as you're bringint it around, and you'll see how it won't line up. This provides a suspect just a little extra time to be free, and we all know that that is a bad thing.

I stopped carrying them both in store and on my belt at both jobs. While doing a PPCT refresher couse I seen another officer do a Iron Wrist take down and the plastic on the cuff just snapped!

If I can't perform a simple little move I don't want anything to do with them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts