MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in thinking about preparedness for my two story home. I was researching options for alternatives to my upstairs bedside Vaultek VT 20 with digital combination lock, for use downstairs. I love that vault, and it works great. But, I don't want another vault being relatively conspicuous in order to have the security I want. Basically, I don't want to have to keep bringing the pistol upstairs and downstairs to have protection while at home. I want something secure, though, and safe for household members and strangers alike. I am considering buying additional pistols that both my wife and I are comfortable with (current is M&P 9 M 2.0 5" Perf Ctr CORE with Holosun 507 V2 RDS (only mention because it affects the "geometry" of things). For home defense, I have a Crimson Trace LG-362 accessory rail mounted instinctive laser. I only use one optic system at a time and have currently only used the Holosun at the range. I leave the laser on when storing the gun in the vault.

I also store the gun with a loaded magazine, but none in the chamber, since I am relatively new to guns. That's just my prerogative at this point.

So, I would like redundant, fairly accessible weapons on the first and second floor, and the Vaultek handles upstairs duties, but I want something in a main area downstairs. I am not going to use a floating shelf or any other furniture as a new purchase. I thought about using mag locks and doing a DIY under the end table "pop-down" drawer for our family room, or perhaps a DIY "behind the mirror" in our kitchen right at the garage entry door, where we have an approx 16 X 24 mirror for "checking your look" before leaving the house....But then I came across some high strength magnets and thought that maybe the simplest, most "portable" or "movable" system, may be to use those magnets with a compact combination or biometric trigger lock, so at least I have something nearby, even if I or the wife must remove the gun from the magnets, and take off the combo lock from the weapon before being able to use. I am OK with that extra time, because really to have more weapons downstairs is a "bonus" to me. And, I have read that you must be careful when using the trigger locks because you can fairly easily activate the trigger, especially when releasing it in order to use the gun. My thinking being, with a semi-auto, if I don't keep one in the chamber, that avoids this pitfall, wouldn't it?

If that makes sense, then what I'm thinking is to have basically identical guns, let's say one upstairs in the Vaultek, without one in the chamber, but with a loaded mag and a loaded spare mag, and then essentially the same thing somewhere downstairs, and I was thinking of screwing a couple wooden blocks to the underside of an end table surface, and then attaching some of those high strength magnets to the blocks to accommodate for whatever "stand-off" dimensions I'd need to account for (if the downstairs weapon would also have a Holosun RDS), and then, while employing the trigger lock, attach the gun via the top edge of the slide to the magnets, under the top surface of one of my end tables....That way, I (or my wife) could relatively quickly, access the firearm, undo the combo lock and have a pistol ready to go. I would also need to allow for a spare loaded mag to be kept there as well, with just some more magnets.

Anyone see any issues with this logic? I'm curious to hear feedback. Seems pretty simple to do, and inexpensive, too.

The combo locks don't fit flush enough to the sides of the gun in order to store it on its side, at least from what I've seen. so with the RDS, it seems to make the most sense to have the right standoffs and store the gun with the magnets engaging the top of the slide....

Comment away, please....

Thanks,

SB

·
Registered
339 Posts
Since you are struggling with the “securing your firearms” is it safe to assume you have kids in the house?

As far as keeping a round chambered; keep you gun in a holster that covers the trigger, then it’s a non-issue.

Sights and Laser are for the range, so get whatever you like. You won’t need them in your house and may not have time to use them if you do.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
“Sights and Laser(s) are for the range, so get whatever you like. You won’t need them in your house and may not have time to use them if you do.”

Wise words right there, and exactly right.

Since the kids are grown and long gone, I have several firearms of various types staged throughout the house, and have many years of training with all of them; so having identical guns isn’t a priority for me. That said; I can understand how that would be a wise practice for a relatively new shooter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since you are struggling with the “securing your firearms” is it safe to assume you have kids in the house?

As far as keeping a round chambered; keep you gun in a holster that covers the trigger, then it’s a non-issue.

Sights and Laser are for the range, so get whatever you like. You won’t need them in your house and may not have time to use them if you do.
Yes I have a daughter and do not want the trigger accessible if leaving loaded. Prefer leaving the gun loaded for convenience and securing the trigger rather than storing it unloaded and having to worry about unlocking a mag and loading that then.

SB

·
Registered
21 Posts
Call me crazy , but why not just keep in on your person practically at all times?

Seriously, that way you know that it's always secure and at the ready. With a firearm as slim, lightweight, and small as the M&P Shield, it shouldn't be impossible to do.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Call me crazy , but why not just keep in on your person practically at all times?

Seriously, that way you know that it's always secure and at the ready. With a firearm as slim, lightweight, and small as the M&P Shield, it shouldn't be impossible to do.
I get where you're coming from but the wife would never go for it, and I'm a bigger dude, so comfort level would not be there for me. No "Tiger-Kinging it" around home.

Thanks,
SB

·
Registered
178 Posts
Due respect to all who feel otherwise, but if you want/need quick access to a firearm, carry it. Fact is, kids will find your guns, and Mr. Bad Guy already knows your hiding places, no matter how good you might think they're stashed. I don't have my schoolgirl figure anymore either, but I carry IWB concealed. Unless you're carrying a full sized auto or an N frame six inch revolver, it ain't that hard.

Reactions: Rick M

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
C41E60D4-2DF5-4AB2-B40A-C014646EA716.jpeg

But seriously the above suggestions are spot on, and I’m sure that you could explain to your wife that the safest place for your pistol to be is on your side.

If I wasn’t able to have guns staged throughout the house; I’d be carrying at home all day everyday, too. I also carry a substantial knife everywhere, including at home, and yes; I have had h2h and blade training.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I get where you're coming from but the wife would never go for it, and I'm a bigger dude, so comfort level would not be there for me. No "Tiger-Kinging it" around home.

Thanks,
SB
I've never been married and I've been celibate for the past 9 years, so I'm unaware of the dynamics of married life, but I would like to think that calm, firm, yet respectful in-depth explanation in regards to why carrying your firearm during waking hours is the absolute safest option available would be sufficient at convincing a sensible woman to reconsider her stance.

Furthermore, while it may not always be physically comfortable to carry a firearm on your person, (although I would argue that with the right holster it can be) the sheer psychological comfort that knowing your family will always be protected in your presence ought to be more than adequate compensation.
At least give it a try, a gun as light as the Shield could even be pocket carried proved that you have pants/shorts with deep enough pockets to hold it securely, although I would sooner recommend a proper belt holster.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts