MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i need opinions about the follwoing atvs. im getting one in the next few months. to narrow it down ill tell you what im looking for... im in the 350-450cc range, it doesnt have to be 4x4, and im looking at around $6000 max. here is what im thinking of.

Yamaha Raptor 350

Polaris Trailblazer 330

Honda TRX 400

not to familar with the Kawasaki, Suzuki, or Arctic Cat so any info will help. thanks guys

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
What will you be using it for? Trail riding, working on a farm/ranch, combination?

The more you tell us the more we can help.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mainly just trail riding or dune riding,

·
Registered
52 Posts
my co-worker has a Suzuki 350 4x4, it is a 98. It still runs great and he runs it had. Plows, hauls, and trail rides it a lot. I am also looking at one and it will be a Suzuki, probably a king quad.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Polaris is a fantastic 4-wheeler. We have been polaris only for about 13 years now. They make the best 4-wheeler and an even better snow mobile. YMMV but its just MHO. The motors they make last forever but other parts can get a little pricey just an FYI.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dont mind shifting, it doesnt matter either way. i will admit though, when i sit on an auto, it is quite nice.

·
Registered
223 Posts
One very important thing to consider is the availability and cost of parts. Things are gonna break. If it were me this fact would do the Polaris in right away.

Both Yamaha and Honda are fantastic units. I have owned and enjoyed both brands (two-wheeled off-road). I have always been a Yamaha guy, but honestly, Honda puts out a very dependable product with a slightly better fit & finish.

The Raptor costs less but has a smaller displacement. It also is a six speed (more shifting) that tells me it needs more gear (not enough torque). In general, a five-speed gearbox equals a more enjoyable ride. Get the Honda.

Just my $0.02

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
IMO stay away from polaris, 1 reason is parts. They change models so often, parts are expensive, and hard to find.

suzuki z400... stay away from the 03 models, as with any 1st year run, they have problems. You'll prolly find one cheap. They have reverse, that is a plus.

honda 400ex: untill later years they had no reverse. Great bike and you'll find one cheap. parts are everywhere.

raptor 350: same as a warrior, underpowered. Pass on this one

Rappy 660/700: tall center of gravity, although great duner.

I'd say for a new rider, the z400 or 400ex is the best.

I have raced a z400, a 250R, a Vforce(kfx700) cross country.

I'd take a 04-05 z400, and you'd have a blast, but alittle more maint.

400ex is bulletproof. They only reason I'd shy from an older one is the reverse.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
2008 Can-Am Outlander 400 H.O. XT ATV

The 2008 Can-Am Outlander 400 H.O. 400 H.O. XT is a Utility Style ATV equipped with an 400cc, Liquid Cooled, Single-Cylinder, SOHC, 4-Stroke Engine and a Continuously Variable (CVT) Transmission. It has a Selectable 4X2 / 4X4 driveline. The Outlander 400 H.O. 400 H.O. XT has a McPherson Strut Front Suspension with 7 inches of travel while the Independent Rear Suspension has 8 inches of travel. The Outlander 400 H.O. 400 H.O. XT has Front In-Board Dual Disc Brakes and Rear Hydraulic Disc Brakes. The Outlander 400 H.O. 400 H.O. XT was introduced in 2003 and is Upgraded for 2008. It includes a 6 month Limited warranty.

A bit past the $6000 mark at $7000, but well worth the extra expense.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree w/ Jester. Go w/ the Honda. I have had a 98 300EX Honda since it was new. It is a great bike. I have raced it for years and it has never broken down. The only thing I had to replace was the axle carrier from riding in sand.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Suzuki Eiger 400. It's actually 376 cc's. You can get automatic or manual. I got mine new in 05 and have 1500 miles on it and love it. Ride nearly every weekend. Never a problem. Use it for fun, plowing snow, and for hunting. The thing is nearly indestructable, Very simple, and Priced more reasonably than others when comparing options etc. Keeps up with a polaris 500, and a Kawasaki 650 all day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I run my z400 on trails all the time. It has great power, but will still alow you to go slower if the need arises. It has taken a beating and kept on going too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts