MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a segment on Personal Defense TV show in which Massad gave the following things to say to an officer arriving at the scene:

1. "Officer, that person ATTACKED ME!"

2. "I'm willing to SIGN a COMPLAINT."

3. "There is the EVIDENCE." (spent casings from the attacker or weapon I'm guessing)

4. "There are the WITNESSES." (hope they're friendly to ya and saw it right)

5. "This is a very stressful situation, and I'm willing to make a complete statement in 24 hours after I've spoken to counsel."

Other important tidbits included that YOU should be the one to MAKE THE CALL to the POLICE ... that makes you the VICTIM. Whoever makes the call is the VICTIM in the officer's eyes.

If you're standing with a weapon and someone is bleeding on the ground, who is naturally thought to be the victim upon arrival?

Heaven forbid the person you shot makes the call.

It would also be very wise to holster your weapon and keep you hands in plain sight when you say #1 to the officer arriving on-scene.

Make sure to point out #3 and #4 as they have a way of disappearing.

Keep in mind, this is a recap of what I saw, and I may not have it all correct, so if anyone else saw it or has anything else to add or correct, please do so!

I found it very interesting!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
He writes columns in several magazines, is a Police Officer and runs the Lethal Force Institute, he is often called as an expert witness in shooting trials, he knows what he is talking about.

Here's some background if someone isn't familiar with him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massad_Ayoob

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
If you had to shoot someone in self defense they are:

Trying to kill you

Trying to rob you with a deadly threat of violence

Trying to break into your house or home

Or something similar to the above situations

They have attempted, or committed a crime, you are willing to sign a complaint alleging their criminal act.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have seen that episode twice now, VERY good information! I have read his articles for years and believe he knows his stuff! I think PDTV is just what the Dr. ordered, if you don't watch it you should. It's one of the few shows we can watch as a family and not have all the liberal smut and other crap crammed down our throats.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I saw the episode too, and also noticed, before he got into the 5 things to do when the Police showed up, he demonstrated a move with his pistol...and I am pretty sure he pulled an M&P out of his holster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts