MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody carry a BUG? If so what is your preference? I was thinking of a small Kel-tec 9mm for an ankle holster. But I'm not beyond carrying a .22 mag from NAA as a BUG. I still might get a small revolver for the wife when she gets her CHL but I want some good info on a good backup gun. I also want one that fits in an ankle holster. The only thing I'm unwilling to sacrifice is reliability (which is why kel tec comes into question). Thanks for all the advice in advance.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Taurus 605. Slightly smaller/lighter than the Ruger SP101. Both are good reliable guns. The Ruger is a bit easier with full power .357's than the 605 but both handle .38 specials quite comfortably.

:twisted:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Don't discount the Kel-Tec P3AT. I finally bought one a few weeks ago, after initially thinking I'd never buy one. After reading the KTOG forum and talking to a couple of fellow IDPA members, I reconsidered and am getting right fond of the little fella.

It certainly is light and easy to carry. I've only put about 75 rounds of WWB (flat nose) and Win Rangers thru mine and after about 60, got a couple of FTE's, but my hand was getting tired and the gun was getting cruddy. They recommend lots of grease and cleaning/relube after about 50 rounds, which I didn't do the first time out.

It's certainly not an M&P, but as a BUG or something to pack when my M&P 9c or full sized is to unwieldy, I think it's fine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have two different bug's the first is a S&W mod 36 .38spl and the second is a Keltec P3AT which is the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. The best holster I have come across for any pocket gun is the Desantis Nemsis holster.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Depends... I carry the 44 mag in the car sometimes... it can vary... Glock 17 or the 44. I'm looking at buying a U22 Neos, but i'm probably going to get a longer barrel (6 or 7.5") so that would feel kinda weird.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Lets see. Whatever gun I get most recently for carry, I carry as my primary...because I'm always looking for the better primary carry. That leaves the poor old primary prime candidate for BUG. So this is your perfect opportunity to find someting you like better for your primary.
8)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I personally don't think you can go wrong with the S&W 642. It is lighweight, hammerless ( which

equates to snagproof ), and is rated for +P ammo. I carried one while a police officer in Florida,

whose climate is notoriously rough on guns, and with any amount of care it will last you a long

time.

A back up gun is used when the caca has hit the oscillating wind machine, and most

shootings are a close range affair. While a KelTec P32 or P3AT is very carryable, I think that

a .38 +P ( at the least ) is a lot more desirable than a .32 or .380. Also, the reliability of the

revolver can't be beat. I would rather 5 shots for sure than 7 - 8 shots maybe.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I had a few issues with my kel-tec that led me to sell, mine would ftf, or fte. The long trigger didn't bother me, as with clip add on i could put it on my waste and feel ok. I had this gun in my pocket for about 2 years un holstered with one in the pipe and never was worried as long I had a clean empty pocket and checked on it through out the day it was fine.

I also didn't like the sights, but hell any gun is better then none. Next backup will be a j frame though, can't beat revolver reliability.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I carry a 642 on a daily basis as a primary when clothing and climate dictate pocket carry. As for on-duty BUG, I carry a G26 loaded with 124gr +P+ HydraShoks or a G27 loaded with Speer 165gr Gold Dots.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I always carry either a Kel-tec P32, P3AT or my Smith M60 as a Bug to my primary.

It is quick and easy insurance and is available to my weak side hand in usually a pocket holster. You can get your hand on the gun with no one knowing. It would be a good surprise the mugger gun compared to whipping open your jacket or shirt to get the MP40c. Would I use it for an extended gun battle... No but up close a bad breath distances it can't be beat. 8)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Walther P22 loaded with Velocitors. Yeah, yeah, I know. But nobody likes 11 rounds of 40 grain .22's going into their head at 1400 fps. I'll be replacing it with a Kel-Tec PF9 one of these days.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Just a word of warning, .22 Long Rifle (or any rimfire ammunition) is a bad idea for personal defense. The method used to extrude priming compound into the primer is inexact, and it's not at all uncommon to find duds in .22 ammo. No matter how reliable your pistol, no matter how much you might think the .22 is acceptable from a terminal ballistics standpoint, the fact is that the ammunition isn't dependable enough to use for self-defense.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ToddG said:
Just a word of warning, .22 Long Rifle (or any rimfire ammunition) is a bad idea for personal defense. The method used to extrude priming compound into the primer is inexact, and it's not at all uncommon to find duds in .22 ammo. No matter how reliable your pistol, no matter how much you might think the .22 is acceptable from a terminal ballistics standpoint, the fact is that the ammunition isn't dependable enough to use for self-defense.

I've often heard this as well but I've fired thousands of .22lr rounds and never had a problem....anyone else ever had a problem with quality ammo?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Fire1 said:
[quote name='ToddG']Just a word of warning, .22 Long Rifle (or any rimfire ammunition) is a bad idea for personal defense. The method used to extrude priming compound into the primer is inexact, and it's not at all uncommon to find duds in .22 ammo. No matter how reliable your pistol, no matter how much you might think the .22 is acceptable from a terminal ballistics standpoint, the fact is that the ammunition isn't dependable enough to use for self-defense.

I've often heard this as well but I've fired thousands of .22lr rounds and never had a problem....anyone else ever had a problem with quality ammo?[/quote]

Thousands upon thousands and not a single issue.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts