MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my new m&p .40 yesterday. This is my first semi so I am hoping that I am just ignorant to an ammo problem. I purchased 50 rounds the day before at Gander Mountain of Remington umc and was given 100 rounds of Fiocci with the purchase. The first 60rounds went great with the Remington but the first full clip with the Fiocci didnt. I had at least 8 jams with the remaing 100 rounds. I expected this because one of the other salesman said I was going to love the gun but to stay away from this brand as it did cause problems in his gun. Reading on here others have said they use it without problems. What gives?

Then afterwards I went by a army surplus store on the way to my poker night and picked up a box of wolf, all they had. After getting a target set up and all 8 guys ready to have a chance to try out my prize. The first round jammed in the barrel. After getting it out, what a pain, and a quick cleaning the secound round fired jammed. Today I recleaned the gun and noticed the empty casing would only go half way into the barrel and has scrap marks.

Sorry I went on so long but it was very embarrassing for me. Do you think it was cheap ammo or is something wrong with the gun. I wont have a chance to fire it again until Saturday. I am going to stay away from wolf and Fiocci. What would be a inexpensive alternative be?

·
Registered
22 Posts
cp,

That is definetely not a good first impression. Did you clean it before you first fired it? I personally stay away from Wolf ammo and have no experience with Fiocci.

CCI Blazer, Winchester White Box, Federal, and Remington UMC are what I use for target. I have never had that type of problem with theses ammo choices.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've shot Fiocci ammo through my .40 and had no issues. I even qualified with that brand. As for the Wolf ammo., it is cheap and dirty ammo and can easily jam your gun up. If you are looking to shoot cheap ammo try the Remigton UMC (it's dirty but I haven't had any issues) or the Winchester white box. If it continues, I would send it back to get it looked at (or just do it anyway). S&W should fix the problem for you.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
wolf isn't as horrable as people make it out to be, but it still isn't what I'd base your ideals on.

Fiocci still isn't the greatest either.

Get some better ammo to base your impressions off of, and come back happy.

·
Registered
373 Posts
testing

When I'm shooting a new gun, I try to stay with one good quality brand and type of ammo for a few hundred rounds, IF it likes it. Then, if I start having trouble, it makes it easier to track a problem. I'd say you answered your own question when the Wolf wouldn't fit and the Fiocci started choking it after the box of UMC ran fine.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I think he was also using a empty case? of course its going to jam because there is no round to go into the chamber. the blunt side of the casing will hit the lip of the chamber. the gun is not made to load a empty case.

·
Registered
77 Posts
fired casings expand after firing and dont fit back into the chamber very well can jam need to resize the case down with handpress and die. been a report of bad wolf ammo on some forums in 40sw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys. I will use better ammo this Saturday. I also didnt do a very good cleaning before using it the first time , just a wipe down and rem oil.I was not trying to load the empty casing just was seeing why it jammed. The bottom expanded so that it wouldnt go back in and had marks on it

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have shot several thousand rounds of Fiocci 9mm without problems other than a squib round yesterday. Ammo is loaded fairly hot and clean.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
do a good thorough cleaning of your chamber. Then check it for rough spots, and with the barrel out of the gun, see if you can drop some of your loaded ammo into the chamber without it hanging up.

If you have rough spots, or chambering issues, you may have a bum barrel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have used a few diff brands so far on my 9. They have all worked; I usually buy Magtech since it's the cheapest the range sells (along with an aluminum round from somebody else). Magtech goes for $7.99 per 50 and I have probably run about 8 boxes through it of that along with 147 gr. Silvertips and regular Winchester varieties.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I put 300 rounds of winchester and remington thru it this weekend with no problems except for one primer missfire. Then For the hell of it I put one clip of the wolf back into it. The wolf would not eject on the sixth round. I had one heck of a time getting it out too!

The gun is great I got several complements on my shoting.

Except for my son giving me **** cause his new fn high power had no problems with the remaining 41 rounds of wolf it was a greeat time.

I think I will keep it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts