MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had good experiences with MidwayUSA, until today. They advertised a brass tumbler on their website for $52.99, which included the tumbler, brass polish, media, and media separator. I received the order today, and it was the tumbler only. I called customer service and was told it was a "website mistake". They could not send me the other items-I would have to return the tumbler (at their cost) and reorder the kit-$21 more. I sent their tumbler back and gave them an option-either send me what they advertised at the same price, or keep it, refund me, and lose business. If they do me right, I'll gladly order from them as I have before (quite a bit more now-reloading supplies), or I'll take all of my business elsewhere. I'll let you guys know how it turns out-hopefully a really good company will continue to be a really good company.

·
Registered
128 Posts
They probably have something in "fine print" burried on their web site somewhere stating that they're not responsible for mistprints. I think they should make good on your purchase and keep a good customer but unfortunatly some companies don't see it that way anymore. I've heard that Midways CS is good so hopefully you'll get your order, if not try Natchez.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
That is a drawback of their website. Not everything is described very well and I have placed orders from them thinking I was getting one thing when I got another.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I've always had good experiences with MidwayUSA, until today. They advertised a brass tumbler on their website for $52.99, which included the tumbler, brass polish, media, and media separator. I received the order today, and it was the tumbler only. I called customer service and was told it was a "website mistake". They could not send me the other items-I would have to return the tumbler (at their cost) and reorder the kit-$21 more. I sent their tumbler back and gave them an option-either send me what they advertised at the same price, or keep it, refund me, and lose business. If they do me right, I'll gladly order from them as I have before (quite a bit more now-reloading supplies), or I'll take all of my business elsewhere. I'll let you guys know how it turns out-hopefully a really good company will continue to be a really good company.

Sounds like you ordered the Frankford Arsenal combo kit correct? I got this last summer and the order comes in 2 boxes. Sounds like the box with bucket and media separator is out in shipping land someplace.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you ordered the Frankford Arsenal combo kit correct?

That's right Jeff, but not "combo kit". I didn't even look at the kit because the tumbler had everything I needed (tumbler, separator, polish, & media) for $52.99 The CS rep said to send the tumbler back and order the kit-at $21 more. I did look up the kit after the fact, and the descriptions are identical (unless it's been changed since last night) except for the price. I'm sure it wasn't an intentional mistake on their part, but that doesn't help me any because I need the stuff now, if not sooner.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I like Midway they have allways done me right and they are a giant company I would like to know how many orders a day they do. And they have donated millions to NRA.

My last order did have some thing odd happen I ordered a mag for a 1022 and it was on back order.

I checked just the other day and it said the order had been canceled due to not knowing when they might come in. Ok I know things are screwed up right now in the gun world. Yesterday I get the email saying my order has shipped. **** happens and as busy as gun retalers are right now I am not going to hold it against them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
**** happens and as busy as gun retalers are right now I am not going to hold it against them.

I try to feel that way, but it seems lately that every online purchase I make from a gun or gun-related dealer has had problems. With the present economy, people will not give and take as much as they previously may have. I think it's time for businesses to step up and try to avoid mistakes at all costs, because their next screw-up could very well be their last! I've worked very hard for my money for the last 30 years, and a mistake on my end will surely cost me money. I tend to steer away from a place where I've had a previous problem, and give another guy a chance to prove his worth. As I stated earlier, I've always liked dealing with Midway, so hopefully this will take care of itself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
MidwayUSA is one of my favorite online vendors. I have ordered from them many times and never had a problem. I am very interested to know how this turns out.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I try to feel that way, but it seems lately that every online purchase I make from a gun or gun-related dealer has had problems. With the present economy, people will not give and take as much as they previously may have. I think it's time for businesses to step up and try to avoid mistakes at all costs, because their next screw-up could very well be their last! I've worked very hard for my money for the last 30 years, and a mistake on my end will surely cost me money. I tend to steer away from a place where I've had a previous problem, and give another guy a chance to prove his worth. As I stated earlier, I've always liked dealing with Midway, so hopefully this will take care of itself.

Hate to tell you, but regardless of the economy, the firearms industry is rocking at the moment. When you are at 100% capacity, the fact that homes aren't selling doesn't really motivate you to try and make it worse by reducing capacity by double and triple checking everything.

Inventory software usually has race conditions you can't get around and will crop up under high volume. Especially if you pick and pack from more than one warehouse. Catalogs and web stores with millions of items are hard to populate 100% correctly when you are hammered at 100% capacity (and in the middle of a redesign to make things work better like midway has been).

If they made a mistake with their catalog, paying for return shipping and refunding your purchase price is making it right. Expecting something for nothing because someone made an honest error is expecting something unreasonable. If that offends your sense of cheapness, Midway might be better off without you as a customer. Some customer's just aren't worth having as customers. That's just reality.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If they made a mistake with their catalog, paying for return shipping and refunding your purchase price is making it right. Expecting something for nothing because someone made an honest error is expecting something unreasonable. If that offends your sense of cheapness, Midway might be better off without you as a customer. Some customer's just aren't worth having as customers. That's just reality.

I re-read my initial post. Did you read it all? I in no way expect "something for nothing". All I expected was what I paid for-what they advertised, and for the price they advertised it for. Is that unreasonable to you? I was told it had been brought to their attention, yet they didn't change their advertisement. As for my "cheapness", I make darn good money, and I spend a lot of money, but I do expect to get what I pay for. That's MY reality.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the support A.T. I thought I was doing no wrong by posting a problem I had with a company. You guys have steered me away from potential problems by doing the exact same thing, and I thank you for it. Don't get me wrong guys-I'm not trying to tell anybody that Midway is a bad company-I think we all know better. I just presented a problem I had, which wasn't the first, and I appreciate it when other forum members do the same. As raz-o said (and I did know this already, thank you) the firearms industry is rocking at the MOMENT. My business has had several "moments" in the last thirty years, but how long will this last? I've been at the top, then bottom, and back to the top again. You learn very quickly that an unsatisfied customer will soon be someone else's customer!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
SO if someone makes a misprint in an ad, they owe you something for free because of that mistake? There is a difference between deceptive ads, bait and switch, and an honest mistake. Not getting ripped off and getting 100% of my money back sound like fixing the situation to me. What you want at the price you want doesn't exist. You can think otherwise, and that's your business. But honoring every typo is a good way to go out of business. Making too many typos is a good way to get a bad reputation. I don't blame Midway for not doing the former, and in my experience, I have not run into the latter in any kind of volume to be concerned about.

However, I restate: some customer's aren't worth having.

As for how long will this boom last? It won't they know that, and that's why you don't see many retailers in the business adding staff or making other such plans for unending growth. The quality of service is going to be impacted by the capacity of a business to deal with volume right now. Sucks, but that is the way it will be until the hoarding calms down. would it be better if they didn't make a typo in their ads? Yeah. But I can guarantee you that everyone responsible for those ads are getting more changes to the copy in less time and have less time to proof them giving current conditions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Reviving an old thread (rather than starting a new one).

I too recently had a bad experience with Midwayusa. Like others posted above, never had a problem with them before, but it appears their customer service has gone way down hill. If you google Midwayusa complaints you'll see I'm not the only one, and specifically, many complaints about shipping.

I waited almost a month to get the product I ordered. Normally, I wouldn't hold them responsible for shipping issues, but what really burned my a$$ was the fact that I kept contacting customer service advising them that the package was lost, and they kept running me around telling me to just wait. After almost a month, they finally decided to re-ship my items to me. Then.....(here's where they added insult to injury)...I received the originally lost package. So, I send Customer Service an email telling them I received the original package. They make me go to their site and do a return, where I need to select each individual product, put in a reason for each, and waste more of my time to get a damn return label. All this for $50 in parts.

Won't order from them again. I won't do business with organizations that don't see things from the view of the very customers that keep them in business.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts