MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning and inspecting my M&P9 (SN MPBXXXX) this morning disclosed metal flaking off of the chamber interior surface. A number of very small spots up to one approx .070 wide spot. It looks somewhat like windshield chips that don't go thru the glass. I expect it is a basic metal flaw or hardening process error.

There did not appear to be any flaking in the barrel (Rifled) zone.

S&W is sending a shipping lable so I expect it will be taken care of but am curious if any one else has experienced this problem.

It is very hard to see when looking through the barrel at a light. The best way is to shine a light in from the end you are looking at. it may at first appear to be a foreign substance.

:?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
76 Posts
Used to see the same thing in some Glock bbls; usually goes away after you shoot it enough.

Was told by Glock the interior dimensions of the chamber/bore get the Tenifer finish, some are rougher than others, will polish itself out eventually.

Melonite/Tenifer are different trade names for the same process. If S&W is doing the chamber/bores, might be the same issue and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BrokenArrow said:
Used to see the same thing in some Glock bbls; usually goes away after you shoot it enough.

Was told by Glock the interior dimensions of the chamber/bore get the Tenifer finish, some are rougher than others, will polish itself out eventually.

Melonite/Tenifer are different trade names for the same process. If S&W is doing the chamber/bores, might be the same issue and nothing to worry about.

What happened in mine was not the same as your Glocks. Mine lost metal chips similar to rock chips in a windshield. S&W replaced the barrel and 2 rounds of CCI Blazer aluminum ammo damaged it. S&W replaced the barrel a second time and this one will never see aluminum cased ammo.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up TOF.

I've shot a few boxes of Bazer through mine and have not yet noticed a prob.

I guess it's time to get a set of 9mm dies!

nunnya

1 - 5 of 5 Posts