MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a full size M&P40 and i was interested in buying a barrel conversion kit to a 9mm for shooting practice purposes. Can i just buy a 9mm barrel from S&W or does it have to be a conversion barrel kit?

·
Site Staff
9,623 Posts
My understanding is that you need the 9mm barrel and magazines, everything else is the same.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My understanding is that you need the 9mm barrel and magazines, everything else is the same.
From what I've read on this website, the standard 9mm barrel from S&W is NOT recommended for this conversion. S&W recommends a conversion barrel along with the 9mm mags. To my knowledge the only standard barrel you can drop in a 40 to change calibers is the 357 Sig.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I put a Gemtech threaded barrel for a M&P9 in my M&P .40 and it works fine. Most types of ammo, I can use the .40 mags too. Some have problems feeding, and people seem to be able to resolve that by using the 9mm mags.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I can tell you, being a pistol smith for over 4 years with the M&P series, you are flirting with disaster using a 9mm barrel in a 40 cal slide. There is a .20" difference in the chamber hood between the 9 & the 40 barrel. This creates an incomplete lock-up of the barrel that has caused catastrophic failures. Would you run 14" tires on your 15" rims, just because they fit and other people do it & haven't had any problems ? ... YET! Find the post from KRWeiss about his friend's disaster using a 9 barrel in a 40 slide. Do yourself a BIG favor.. spring the extra money for a conversion barrel.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I can tell you, being a pistol smith for over 4 years with the M&P series, you are flirting with disaster using a 9mm barrel in a 40 cal slide. There is a .20" difference in the chamber hood between the 9 & the 40 barrel. This creates an incomplete lock-up of the barrel that has caused catastrophic failures. Would you run 14" tires on your 15" rims, just because they fit and other people do it & haven't had any problems ? ... YET! Find the post from KRWeiss about his friend's disaster using a 9 barrel in a 40 slide. Do yourself a BIG favor.. spring the extra money for a conversion barrel.
+1 :yes I'm sensing a pattern Mark! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts