MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious about something. Wondering if other people's barrels here are a little throated, or beveled going from the ramp, into the chamber all around the diameter. I did a tad of polishing with one of the polishing "disks" that come with the dremel... It got a little bit black but not too much. Sure did make alot of difference on the ramp though. Just wondering if anybody else has done the same and noticed that about the chamber.

Image of polished ramp

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
You want to be really careful about doing that, more 1911's have been ruined by homemade ramp polishing attempts than anything else.

·
Registered
367 Posts
yeah and a wise man once said, "never get within 10 feet of a firearm with a dremel."

I did my internal polishing with one but I wouldn't touch the ramp with it. YMMV

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used one of these... I used some generic polish and only did a few light passes on the lowest setting just brushing by the ramp to get a slight mirror gloss to it. I did not change the shape of the ramp, from what my eyes can see.

Anybody got a photo of a stock barrel/ramp?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Are you having problems with failure to feed or something? I like to tinker too but this is an area where the saying "If it aint broke don't fix it" very definitely applies.

Midway sells new barrels if needed.

Have fun. :twisted:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not had time to go to the range yet

How much are new barrels?

The fact that all I did was buff it out a little smoother, not rounding edges or grinding anything makes me feel alright with it.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
If you are just using a felt pad, and maybe a little rouge, I doubt it you could damage anything, some of the compounds might be too aggressive, but I'm not knowledgeable about the various compounds.

·
Registered
319 Posts
do u polish ramp because your having FTL issue or something??

My M&P NEVER EVER fail to load any ammo - FMJ, JHP, or whatever. I don't see point on messingwith something that works perfect??

·
Registered
512 Posts
I also had a few FTF's in the first trip to the range so I did a wetsand with a piece of 800 grit sandpaper by hand on the ramp. I got it to a mirror shine, careful not to change the shape, and it has been flawless for the next 500+ rounds. My barrel looks very similiar to yours in the picture, I can see where the wheel touched the end of the barrel there around the chamber. I will try to get to a digital camera to show you what mine looks like.

Please dont take this as professional advice...just because my member status doesnt say newb, dont let that fool you. But from looks alone, it seems to be ok in my opinion.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jbparrothd21 said:
I also had a few FTF's in the first trip to the range so I did a wetsand with a piece of 800 grit sandpaper by hand on the ramp. I got it to a mirror shine, careful not to change the shape, and it has been flawless for the next 500+ rounds. My barrel looks very similiar to yours in the picture, I can see where the wheel touched the end of the barrel there around the chamber. I will try to get to a digital camera to show you what mine looks like.

Please dont take this as professional advice...just because my member status doesnt say newb, dont let that fool you. But from looks alone, it seems to be ok in my opinion.

Believe it or not, that mark around the chamber was there from the factory. I also tested the wheel and there is no way that it could have stripped the black finish like that, its too soft

·
Registered
35 Posts
johndoe1027 said:
yeah and a wise man once said, "never get within 10 feet of a firearm with a dremel."

I am one who believes the M&P's barrel should not "ever" need help from the owner with a dremel. Theses barrels are manufactured with the state of the art computer/CNC equipment. They don't need help or final finishing touches with a dremel. That is why, in most cases you will void the warranty on your gun or even an expensive aftermarket barrel if you take a dremel to it. If I had a problem with the barrel, I would call the customer service number at Smith and send the gun back. I would let Smith's experts look at it. It has a lifetime warranty. Why blow the warranty by having a mad minute party with a dremel. With today's manufacturing equipment, and using correctly manufactured ammo, your gun should shoot the first 1000++ rounds without a problem right out the box. These are just my thoughts on the subject, or course it is your gun.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been polishing the ramps on all of my Glocks and 1911s for years with a felt wheel (the shorter stubby one) and rouge with no ill effects. Same goes for my newly-acquired MP9. It doesn't change the shape of the ramp/chamber. It simply polishes it to a mirror shine. This is one of those things you can do that, while it may not necessarily need it, it's not gonna hurt anything (assuming you to go crazy with the dremel and start gouging the ramp or chamber).

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've been polishing ramps for decades.

I used a "bullet" shaped felt pad with some Simichrome polish on my M&P9.

It made it mirror bright and shiny and smooth as a baby's bottom. Then put 300 rounds through it without a problem.

Of course I had around 300 trouble free rounds through the gun to begin with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
All your doing by polishing is barely taking the blue off!

No big deal. I find it hard to believe you can screw it up with a felt pad (hell, I have dremel GRINDED inside a chamber before lol, still works)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts