MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all of the time I have had with a pistol thus far has been military. The gun I would get to know inside and out, but the ammo I must say I never paid much attention to. Just picked up an M&P .45 and what I Thought would be a simple ammo selection process it turns out is not. The manual just says .45 ACP. Now I am wading through grains and what manufacturer is crap and so on. Can anyone dumb this down for me? I have used winchester white box before with good results in 9mm. Should I stick with that? What else is worth the $$? Anything to just stay away from all together?

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Winchester White Box is fine for practice, same for most of the generic ammo choices, the most common bullet weight in 45acp is 230 gr, good basic ammo at reasonable prices, they aren't the best for self defense though.

For self defense you should be looking at a hollow point bullet, some people like the lighter weight bullets for self defense, 180 to 200 gr, keep in mind that it's good to practice with the same weight bullet, so if you are buying 230 gr ball ammo for practice you might want to look at 230 gr HP ammo so the impact point on target will be pretty close. The point of impact on the target can be completely different with different bullet weights, this is more of a concern as the distance increases, at 10 yards or less the difference isn't that much.

Here's a link to a real good article about self defense ammo, this should give you some guidance in that direction.

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tact...c;f=78;t=000964

·
Registered
93 Posts
WWB 45ACP is a great practice round.

Blazer Brass is very good too. I actually prefer it over WWB because I feel it is a little bit cleaner.

Get either at Wally World for the best prices. Blazer is about $3 cheaper per 100 rounds there.

For SD ammo I like Ranger SXT or Federal HST.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts