MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this off CNN.

"Baxter failed to report the weapons shipments as required by federal law."

Are they saying he didn't tell Federal Express, or that he should haave shipped to a gun shop or is there some requirment to call ATF when you ship firearms???

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/08/31/friday/index.html

Basketball star Baxter sentenced to 60 days for gun violations

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Former collegiate and pro basketball star Lonny Baxter was sentenced to 60 days in prison Friday for the illegal shipment of firearms, according to Justice Department officials. Baxter was sentenced in federal court in Greenbelt, Md., near Washington.

In his latest run-in with the law, Baxter admitted illegally shipping through Federal Express three handguns and a rifle from Houston, where the weapons were purchased, to his home in College Park, Md. Baxter failed to report the weapons shipments as required by federal law.

Baxter also forfeited two remaining weapons from seven pistols, rifles and shotguns he had purchased in Texas. The others he had previously forfeited in connection with a case in the District of Columbia.

That Washington investigation was triggered in August 2006 when Secret Service agents arrested Baxter for firing a handgun into the air from a car traveling near the White House. (Posted 5:20 p.m.)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
*IF* I'm reading and connecting this right, if you buy/ship/acquire 2 or more weapons at any time, you have to inform the ATF.

When I bought both stripped lower recievers for my ARs, and my 2 M&Ps, I had to form out documents to let the ATF know i'm acquiring 2 or more weapons at the same time. As I remember, there is a sign on the wall at the local gun store referencing this, and, more specifically, states that if a person purchases 2 or more weapons in a 7 day period, the ATF has to be informed.

I *THINK* this is the problem.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I poked around the BATFE's website and found this horribly gay quote...:

"CARLA

Mr. Lucas, I’m helping someone with a multiple firearms purchase; do I treat it the same as a single firearm purchase, or do I need to do something special?

MR. LUCAS

Actually Carla, I’m glad you asked. For multiple sales that include just one handgun and any number of long guns, simply fill out Form 4473 as usual and include the information for each item in Section “D.”

However, in order to transfer more than one handgun to a customer, you must prepare a multiple handgun sales report using ATF Form 3310.4, in addition to completing Form 4473."

found on this horribly gay RP:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/ffrrg/transcripts/ltthree.htm

I think that answers the question.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
bump: Just wondering if that is the answer... anyone else have any input? I'd like to know if there is another possible answer to this... curiosity is brewing

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Little different question.

Lets say a person is cutting down their gun collection.

They sale two long guns and two handguns via Guns America, and ship said guns, in one mailing to a single FFL holder/gun shop.

All firearms are declared as firearms to the shipper and FFL/Gun shop knows all gun will be coming together--no one are this point has told the salee they are doing anything wrong.

Is this illegal?

edited: changed first sentence...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
itr674 said:
Little different question.

Lets say a person is cutting down their gun collection.

They sale two long guns and two handguns via Guns America, and ship said guns, in one mailing to a single FFL holder/gun shop.

All firearms are declared as firearms to the shipper and FFL/Gun shop knows all gun will be coming together--no one are this point has told the salee they are doing anything wrong.

Is this illegal?

edited: changed first sentence...

I think the laws regarding those who hold FFLs are a tad bit different... obviously he has to fill out every single piece of paperwork and then send it in, and if he doesn't, its the future of his FFL that would be higher concern. A similar situation happened to an FFL holder around here... if I remember correctly, loss of FFL + jail time was ensue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts