MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard this story from a co-worker and wanted to pass it on to everyone.

on 11/07/07 at approximately 1:30 pm, a man was exiting the i-45 south (near south houston, texas), when he saw a young lady with a flat tire on the exit ramp. according to the man, her vehicle was partially blocking the exit ramp, which forced him to slow down. the young lady than approach his vehicle and requested assistance with the flat. he pulled his vehicle to the side and exited his vehicle. the young lady asked if he had a car jack that he could lend her. the man moved to the rear of his vehicle and open his trunk. as he was reaching for his car jack, another man approach him and pointed a gun to his head. the man than force him into his car and they drove off to the back of a parking lot, where they beat and robbed the man. his car was located a few hours later by hpd, but the man suffered severe injuries.

i was really surprised, since the incident occurred right next to my work place and it occurred in broad daylight. what has the world come to?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
That is sickening, you cant even help people without being taken advantage and robbed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's unfortunate and I hate to say this but I will not stop to help anyone stranded for that reason. I will however ask if they need me to call a tow truck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Muggers often try to throw off your guard by distracting you.

Do you got a smoke, lighters? My car broke down my i use your phone?

·
Registered
660 Posts
What is wrong with people today? One of my earliest memories from living in Texas was our car stalling out at an intersection and 2 people jumping out of different cars to help my father push our car into a parking lot. Sad time we live in.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
A friend of mine was in the area, I hadn't seen him in years. He was amazed that I carried and had so many weapons to defend myself just with in my truck. I really want to help people in case of emergency, but damned if I am going to become a victim. I think he also saw the reasoning and has recently applied for his CCW and is now the proud owner of a M&P9c.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
PR1 said:
It's unfortunate and I hate to say this but I will not stop to help anyone stranded for that reason. I will however ask if they need me to call a tow truck.
I agree 100% in this day and age if you dont have a cell phone or any other means to contact someone then you got 2 feet to walk. I have a cell phone and the next vehicle I purchase will have onstar. there are too many gadgets that do the work for you

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
slomo said:
i heard this story from a co-worker and wanted to pass it on to everyone.

on 11/07/07 at approximately 1:30 pm, a man was exiting the i-45 south (near south houston, texas), when he saw a young lady with a flat tire on the exit ramp. according to the man, her vehicle was partially blocking the exit ramp, which forced him to slow down. the young lady than approach his vehicle and requested assistance with the flat. he pulled his vehicle to the side and exited his vehicle. the young lady asked if he had a car jack that he could lend her. the man moved to the rear of his vehicle and open his trunk. as he was reaching for his car jack, another man approach him and pointed a gun to his head. the man than force him into his car and they drove off to the back of a parking lot, where they beat and robbed the man. his car was located a few hours later by hpd, but the man suffered severe injuries.

i was really surprised, since the incident occurred right next to my work place and it occurred in broad daylight. what has the world come to?

I live in Deer Park, so not far from there at all...

Sounds like Houston... sad to hear, but reality. I almost got carjacked @ shotgun point off of I-10 and 610 on the E side of town (aka 5th Ward)... so this just reminds me of how harsh this city can be.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
back a few years, i helped an elderly woman with a flat, but sadly, if that happen again today, i wouldn't even stop (i would report it to the police/ems via a telephone call but that's it). i've heard some many stories of people helping others and they become victims themselves.

even though i carry, i can think of several situations where i wouldn't be able to draw in time and i would end up another victim.
i hate to sound selfish, but my safety is more important to me than yours. please don't get me wrong, i'm not a heartless *******, but i just believe in preservation of my own life. i wouldn't abandon you, but i just won't risk my own life (or the ones i love) to save a complete stranger that might try to jack me in the end!!!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
slomo said:
back a few years, i helped an elderly woman with a flat, but sadly, if that happen again today, i wouldn't even stop (i would report it to the police/ems via a telephone call but that's it). i've heard some many stories of people helping others and they become victims themselves.

even though i carry, i can think of several situations where i wouldn't be able to draw in time and i would end up another victim.
i hate to sound selfish, but my safety is more important to me than yours. please don't get me wrong, i'm not a heartless *******, but i just believe in preservation of my own life. i wouldn't abandon you, but i just won't risk my own life (or the ones i love) to save a complete stranger that might try to jack me in the end!!!
I agree with you bud. You may be another human life but I have to answer not only for me but my family so my family and I will gladly drive by and if noone else is around I will gladly call the police :wink:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have no problem making a phone call as I drive by if there isn't somewhere there to help them, but I won't stop to become a victim!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I stopped to help a stranded motorist on the side of the highway just last week. I saw her struggling with a flat tire, so I turned around and changed it for her. It was getting quite dark, and I didn't feel right leaving here there (I assumed that since she was trying to change her own tire, that ment she also had no cell phone...I was right).

I was driving my service van (I'm a mobile forklift mechanic) which is equipped to lay down several hunderd watts of light on the work sight, and is equipped with my air compressor, impact wrench, and all the tools to have he rolling in about four minutes.

Looking back, it was tactically a poor decision...but I was able to help an ambulance driver call in and get to work just a little late instead of....who knows what...... - Josh M.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Josh M. said:
I stopped to help a stranded motorist on the side of the highway just last week. I saw her struggling with a flat tire, so I turned around and changed it for her. It was getting quite dark, and I didn't feel right leaving here there (I assumed that since she was trying to change her own tire, that ment she also had no cell phone...I was right).

I was driving my service van (I'm a mobile forklift mechanic) which is equipped to lay down several hunderd watts of light on the work sight, and is equipped with my air compressor, impact wrench, and all the tools to have he rolling in about four minutes.

Looking back, it was tactically a poor decision...but I was able to help an ambulance driver call in and get to work just a little late instead of....who knows what...... - Josh M.

I would like to say two things, what you did was indeed kind but, PLEASE, PLEASE never call an EMT or Paramedic an ambulance driver. Not trying to be an A$$ Im just trying to educate people that EMS professionals can not stand being called an "Ambulance Driver." It has the conotation that all we do is "Drive an Ambulance" and the public simply overlooks the very advanced procedures that Paramedics can perform to save someones life. Again, Im not trying to make this sound like Im attacking you in any way, my mom even called me an "Ambulance Driver" to one of her coworkers LOL!! Shortly after I corrected her in the same way, its just simply trying to corral a bad title that compares us to that of a taxi driver (but with an education) as I like to say as a funny.

On that note, I agree with the statement above. This is the 21st century and I have seen just about everybody, their kids, cats and dogs with a cell phone. That includes the scumbags sucking the system dry with welfare and medicaid abuse as they have to have something to waste their leftover money on when the govt. covers the rest!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
No problem medic...no dis-respect intended.

She owned a cell phone, but said that she left it on the charger at home....and when she asked to use mine to call work, I asked where she worked...she said "I drive ambulance for XXXXX hospital"

I agree about the cell phones...that's why I normally don't worry about cars on the side of the road...but her look of frusteration while struggling made me think that she didn't have anybody comming.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Josh M. said:
No problem medic...no dis-respect intended.

She owned a cell phone, but said that she left it on the charger at home....and when she asked to use mine to call work, I asked where she worked...she said "I drive ambulance for XXXXX hospital"

I agree about the cell phones...that's why I normally don't worry about cars on the side of the road...but her look of frusteration while struggling made me think that she didn't have anybody comming.

Good ole Murphy in full effect, leave your phone at home and the car has problems!! Since I started carrying I have become just as compulsive about taking my cell phone as I have my gun. Of course the phone has been around longer I just cant walking out the door with either now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since society seems to take advance of the good people, I suggest we all just become heartless @sshole!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: Who cares about the poor old lady who is crossing the street. Let the cars run her over! Who cares about the poor helpless girl who's trying to change her own tire. Let the car fall on her!

Wouldn't that be nice. Everyone for themselves. Survival of the fittest. Let the weak be demolish, and may the strong reap all the rewards.

I AM JUST KIDDING. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Like most of you, I don't carry a badge and the law says that I don't have to render aide to anyone. However, the human side of me tells me that I need to help...to the best of my ability. I will absolutely not put myself (or anyone) in danger to help another. The way society is going, that doesn't leave much.

However, since I carry my trusty cell phone, I'll be glad to make a simple phone call. I'll even wait around to make sure that help arrives. In the situation I stated above, I would of drive by and park a few yards away and make the call. I wouldn't even talk to the young lady...that would give her "friend" the chance they need.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts