MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen in the images gallery and in some posts that you've been filing off the beavertail from the rear of the guns. Just wondered why. Looks? Performance?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think beaver tails are good... they taste like chicken.

I like beaver tails. I tend to shoot better with guns that have them. I don't know if this has to do with other characteristics of those firearms, a psychosomatic component, better hand placement, or who knows what... but I like them.

MI_Jester

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Beavertails help control recoil by allowing you to get a high grip without interfering with the operation of the slide, and in some cases by allowing then to to lever against the hand to tame muzzle flip.

Most of the grinding you see is reducing the beaver tail rather than removing it. You usually still get the ability to get a nice high grip, which is what gives you most of the recoil reducing advantage, while making the overall package smaller.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The extended beavertail is one of the big reasons I bought an M&P. It just fits my large hand very nicely.....it feels "right".

·
Registered
326 Posts
josh said:
I had mine taken off because not only did I think it looked goofy(and would've looked worse afterwards), but no matter how I hold the gun my hand never came in contact with the extended portion.

Very clean look! I like! I see your laser grips, how do you like them so far?

I'm thinking about doing some stippling where my finger rests with the CT laser grips installed. I want to have a touch point for blocking the laser and then one that is safely away from the trigger but out of the line of the laser.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
The primary reason I sold my XD's and went with M&P's is the beavertail. My XD40 left my thumb nuckle bloody after 150 to 200 rounds. The lower left point on it's abreviated beavertail impacted the nuckle and has in fact left a scar.

:twisted:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had mine removed because not only did it not touch my hand, but I was always cracking my elbow on it while in the holster.

·
Registered
149 Posts
762x51 said:
The extended beavertail is one of the big reasons I bought an M&P. It just fits my large hand very nicely.....it feels "right".

Me too!

·
Registered
149 Posts
762x51 said:

Me too!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Love the beavertail. I have big hands but mine snug up right under it. I think its one of the primary reason my .40 and .45 are so controllable in rapid fire. I've seen beavertails on other pistols (Sig) that seemed to serve no useful purpose because of the way they are shaped.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I like it and wish my compact had one. If anyone wants to get rid of theirs let me know.

·
Registered
307 Posts
raz-0 said:
Beavertails help control recoil by allowing you to get a high grip without interfering with the operation of the slide, and in some cases by allowing then to to lever against the hand to tame muzzle flip.

I have handled the compact M&P and don't like the feel of it without the beavertail. I have paid alot of money in the past to have beavertail grip safties installed on my 1911's because they help control recoil and make the gun more comfortable to shoot well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts