MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was time to pick up a new belt or two and even though I have a Milt Sparks on order I just couldn't hold off until the first of the year. Looking around I found what I thought might be a good deal on an off the rack belt from High Noon Holster. They have a solid reputation and it was only $50. That's a very good price for a gun belt so I placed my order for their Second Skin.

I just can't tell you how disappointed I was when I opened the box. What they sent me was a reasonably good looking belt with all of the body and support of a $20 Wal-Mart belt. Now I'm stuck with a very expensive belt that's barely able to support my cell phone. Oh well It'll hold up my pants.

Well I still needed a belt and prefer leather so I placed bids on two ebay auctions and won both so I'm all set for belts for the next few years. But I thought I'd share some feedback.

First to arrive was a Hellweg leather belt. This Australian product is everything the Second Skin wasn't. Stiff and very supportive the Hellweg could probably support an anti-aircraft gun. It's almost too stiff but I think with time it will wear in. Maybe not in what's left of my lifetime but it's a keeper. The price in like new condition was $15.

If the High Noon was too soft and the Hellweg was a tad too hard, then the Cobra Gunskin was just right. Not too hard and not too soft and plenty supportive and the price was only $39 brand new on ebay. I assume that these are discontinued because it's no longer on Cobra's site.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am suprised that the High Noon belt was wimpy. I would be dissapointed too.

For leather belts, I have been using The Belt Man (www.thebeltman.net) for years. Very reasonably priced and very well made. Lots of options too.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
My first gunbelt was a Hellweg, it was my daily wear belt for eight or nine years. While it's beat up, it's still in my closet and serviceable.

For most of the past five years or so I've been using a Rafter (actually "Wilson Combat") sharkskin. I can't say it looks new after 1,500+ days of use but it's pretty close.

The past few months I've been using a Liger belt from Maxpedition. These belts were all the rage among the tactical crowd a year or two ago. I bought two, the exact same size, but one was a few inches shorter than the other. The short one fits me now (unlike my Rafter/Wilson shark belt, which is now too big) so it's what I'm wearing until I decide what to do next. I would rate the Liger belt as average. Perfectly functional but the design leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I went looking for belts and couldn't get what I wanted. I didn't like the Velcro plastic ones so I decided to make my own... 8)

It's a copy of a "ranger" style belt, 50mm wide x 3mm thick made from chosen cow hide. Sits like a daisy on the hip. Just finished it now! 8)

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I have seen that similiar design a lot in Mexico, looks great to me... What did it take to complete that belt, I am sure it was fun to build too...

·
Registered
673 Posts
Got the design of a 1” dress belt I have had for years… and some off the net. Time was about 4 hours. All the stitching was done by hand using a hand sewing awl. Designed the ranger straps and made a template… Cut them out… I bought the 2” belt blank already cut but made all the rest. Cost was about $50 I suppose? Yea it is fun making your own gear. I like to personalise and make most of my stuff where I can.

When I get my iron (about 7 days, coppers permitting…) I will make one of those very slim belt holsters something like Loloy (http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=8295&highlight=) has done but a bit on my design side…

I’ll post when done in the pics section…

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just bought a used High Noon Snapper off a fellow member, and i think it is awesome quality. Surprising their belts don't meet same criteria. Good to know. I use a Gould and Goodrich belt in 1and1/2 inch. For thirty five bucks it works great, but only good looking with jeans or cargo pants.

·
Registered
673 Posts
243ww said:
Got the design of a 1” dress belt I have had for years… and some off the net. Time was about 4 hours. All the stitching was done by hand using a hand sewing awl. Designed the ranger straps and made a template… Cut them out… I bought the 2” belt blank already cut but made all the rest. Cost was about $50 I suppose? Yea it is fun making your own gear. I like to personalise and make most of my stuff where I can.

When I get my iron (about 7 days, coppers permitting…) I will make one of those very slim belt holsters something like Loloy (http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=8295&highlight=) has done but a bit on my design side…

I’ll post when done in the pics section…

Just to clarify, I don’t wear dresses… :oops: :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm very satisfied with the stiffness and quality of my new 5.11 trainer's belt. It does have velcro, but also has a high quality black matte finish stainless steel buckle. The nylon is double thick for thickness and rigidity.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I could have if I'd noticed it soon enough but I was otherwise occupied for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
badger belts

I found a belt made by Badger at my local Sportsmans Warehouse. It is extremely thick and does not sag under the weight of my fullsize MP, and it only cost me 15 bucks. I would highly recommend giving it a try if you are looking for an inexpensive alternative.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts