MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 9mm 2.0 and when I field stripped it for the first time to clean noticed the dish on the spring was bent. I just sent S&W an email so I’ll hopefully hear something soon. Has anyone seen this before? I am fairly sure it should be flat, and it appears to be worn on the bent side.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'd just straighten it up, then run a mag of rounds through it and see if it happens again. It may have just not been seated properly when fired before you received it. There have been a few people with problems regarding the recoil assy on the previous model. Haven't heard much about it on the 2.0.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The OP doesn't even need to straighten the end. It will most likely run just fine, as is.
There was a rash of this happening back in 2013 or 2014. It only happened to a couple Dozen Shields, but (like COVID19) it caused a panic and everyone thought they need to call CS and demand a replacement. This, in turn, caused a major shortage in RSAs, causing a 3 Month backlog in sending out replacements. During this time, people tried using the bent RSA and found that while it didn't look right, it functioned just fine.

While it is disheartening to see this on a brand new pistol, don't despair... It will likely work and once you get your replacement, you can save it as a backup, should you need one down the line.
(Or keep using IT and keep the replacement as a backup :))

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd just straighten it up, then run a mag of rounds through it and see if it happens again. It may have just not been seated properly when fired before you received it. There have been a few people with problems regarding the recoil assy on the previous model. Haven't heard much about it on the 2.0.
How would you go about straightening? I was thinking cushioned pliers, just worried about damaging. I’m to ignorant to know how sensitive the recoil spring is. Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
709 Posts
How would you go about straightening? I was thinking cushioned pliers, just worried about damaging. I’m to ignorant to know how sensitive the recoil spring is. Thank you for the advice!
Once there's a bend in it, you won't get it perfectly straight and it will be a weak spot. Personally, I would just have them replace it. If for some reason it breaks off while using it and the unit slips off the barrel, you may not be able to get the gun apart and you'll have to send it in. I've read of it happening with a Sig P-365 and a Walther PPQ in their respective forums.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Just call S&W cust service with model and SN of gun tell them the issue they will send you a new one for FREE.

Ask me how I know this.

My 45 shield RSA simply popped apart when I removed it. Had a new one in 2 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts

I just used a vice on my boys. Pinched the bent part in the jaws and gave it a tug. Good as new. :yes I'm pretty sure he has hundreds more rounds through it by now. However, you would be justified in getting a replacement and it is not a bad thing to have back up parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything I have researched and you all have said about S&W is so true. They have already responded and are sending a new RSA. I couldn’t be more impressed with their customer service. Thank you for your advice in this matter!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Would toss it in the trash and get a replacement from S&W . Would never trust that in a defense weapon. You could wind up doing damage to the frame or slide if that should break.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts