MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have recently decided on the M&P 9mm as my next handgun but have just shot a buddies beretta 92fs. I have to say I blown away by how smooth the trigger on this thing is in DA and SA. Also the thing was pretty accurate and I was able to squeeze off some really tight groups with it. I was wondering what you guys thought about the Beretta 92fs ?

·
Registered
282 Posts
It a heck of a firearm. You can't compare a 92fs to a M&P, different critters.Both are excellent side arms. I own 2 92fs, 1 96fs, 1 96D, an M&P9c, M&P40c, and a M&P 45. Evey one has it's own purpose.

Get the M&P and get the 92fs if you want, they won't get mad at you and while they are in the gun safe they won't fight and get all scratched up, or attempt to mate either.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Just to let you know you're better off putting this in the Non-Smith firearm thread.

That being said I've shot the Beretta M9 many many times. From what I understand that is the Mil-spec'd version of the 92fs. I like it, it is reliable and very accurate. Its great for a duty gun. I've also thought about grabbing a 92fs just so I can shoot what I carry more often. But there are so many guns I want that are much higher up on the priority list.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
I've got a 92FS as well as an M&P, I like my 92FS, and I like my M&P, there's room in my safe for both of them!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Based on shooting a lot of 92-series guns and just a few M&Ps, I'd say you're more likely to find greater variation gun-to-gun than model-to-model. In other words, don't worry about it.

I carried various 92-series guns for about five years before and while working at Beretta. They were always amazingly reliable pistols.

·
Registered
67 Posts
og556 said:
Which would you consider more accurate between the two 9mm full sized handguns ?

This is just an impression, but I would say they are mechanically about the same in terms of absolute, potential accuracy.

I happen to shoot the M&P more accurately because of the consistent trigger pull (the DA of the M9 always throws my first shot a little outside the others, unless I REALLY take my time with it). That, however, is a matter of personal preference and with practice I could probable improve my DA/SA shooting.

The bottom line is, they are both great handguns, and a lot has to do with how you personally shoot them and what your intended use is for the gun you choose.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My intended purpose would be CCW and range use. I know the M&P would be lighter and more concealable. How many rounds have you all put through your 92fs handguns ?

·
Registered
559 Posts
og556 said:
My intended purpose would be CCW and range use. I know the M&P would be lighter and more concealable. How many rounds have you all put through your 92fs handguns ?
I've got between 4-5k through mine with no problems. It ain't broke, so I ain't fixin' it.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I don't have my Beretta logs with me but I'm certain I've put over 20,000 through at least one 92G. All together I've probably shot somewhere between 80-100,000 rounds through Berettas.

I'd pick the M&P over the Beretta in a heartbeat, especially as a CCW gun, but if the Beretta is what you want it will absolutely serve you well.

You'll need a good gun belt (which you should have regardless of which gun you get). You'll need a well designed holster (which you should have regardless of which gun you get). You'll need to learn the particular manual of arms from someone who truly understands how that particular gun is gun (which you should do regardless of which gun you get).

Though they can be harder to come by, I'd suggest trying to track down a 92G Compact, which uses a shorter 13-round magazine. It's just as wide as a full-size Beretta but it's about half an inch shorter at the muzzle and a little bit shorter at the butt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
og556 said:

I would have to say, that if your intention is CCW, unless you positively hate the M&P, or can't shoot it worth a darn vs. the 92, then I would have to say the S&W is the way to go.

I'm a pretty big guy, but even I wouldn't relish trying to hide a full size 92 on my frame. Even the compact versions are pretty bulky compared to the M&P.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I've been going back and forth about this the past couple of days now. I am definitely getting the M&P at this point. I am attracted to the aesthetics of the tight fitting all metal 92fs but the thing is too big for CCW purposes. I will eventually add one to my collection but for now I will have my M&P 9mm.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I don't think much of the 92 or what Beretta calls customer service. The pistol is too big for a 9, overly complicated (more parts than a 1911) and too many bells and whistles, and I can't stand the long DA first trigger pull. It has no business being issued to the military thats for sure. When the Marine Corps was finally forced to take some I was able to keep being issued 1911's. Buy an M&P and don't look back.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have both M&P9 and 92FS Inox 8) I've shot about 3700 rounds thru the 92 and it's been 100%...

I like the M&P a lot, but I love the Beretta! :wink: For CCW MP is a better choice no doubt since it's about an 1 in shorter OAL and 6 oz ligher. But than again they are both full size guns and yoy can find a better (read smaller) CCW gun...

It's kinda hard to compare the two since the only thing they have in common is the caliber! But Beretta has a LOT better fit (if I shake the M&P strongly enough the slide/frame rattles) and the 92 (esp. Inox) is way sexier! I would say 92 can also be more accurate. (although I like the sights on M&P better).

But I agree you need both!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts