MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put one of these on layaway after doing alot of reading on it. I hear it's supposed to be a pretty good pocket gun. I was looking for something smaller then my MP40 fullsize as a backup or just for the heck of it because I couldn't resist. I didn't mean to get it. I just walked in to the shop for some ammo and the guy asked me what can I put in your hands today. at first I told him "NOTHING" and laughed, then he told me I saw you looking at this and he handed it to me. It felt really comfortable, I gave it back and told him maybe next time. He said some horrible words to me, He said "you can put it on layaway" and I said really. Well,I paid for my ammo, made it to the car and then walked right back in there and did it to myself. So I figure I'll have it in about a month or so. I would like to hear from those of you who have one or any experiences with them, whether good or bad. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have no experience shooting one, but I traded a new M&P40c for one + cash with a guy on here. Got it for my wife, but it wasn't cute enough for her. :roll: Ended up buying her a Kahr K9, and selling the Bersa on gunbroker last week.

Anyhoo, from everything I've read most people who own them like them. I've only heard of a couple that had a few reliability issues the first couple hundred rounds, but went away shortly afterwards. They definitely feel good in the hand, but for a pocket gun it's too big in my opinion. A much better gun for front pocket carry would be a j-frame S&W, Kahr PM9/MK9, or one of those tiny Kel-tec's. If this is for a jacket/coat carry it's not too big for that.

Congrats on your new toy! Buying a new gun is always a great feeling. I'm glad my local dealers aren't like your's... I'd be broke!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
josh said:
I'm glad my local dealers aren't like your's... I'd be broke!
Yeah this might end up being a problem for me as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
ive got one and i can say that i love it! ive got the firestorm .380, but its the same gun. i bought mine used in great shape from a local cop shop and ive put probably 5000 round through it. wife now carries it in her purse. like i said great little gun for range fun or easy ccw.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I have one. They are not great, but they are good for $250. It is too big for a pocket gun IMO. Mine went back for service twice within the first year with less than 1000 rounds through it. I was not impressed with their warranty repair center as getting them to communicate was like pulling teeth. The second time they had it they told me there were some internal components that looked like they had been beaten with a hammer. They assumed it was due to my amateur gunsmithing attempts, but I've never worked on the pistol. So either they were the ones that banged on it with a hammer the first time they had it, or it came that way from the factory. Whichever is the case it raises an eyebrow. They are slim and make a good ankle gun IMO. They can be finicky with ammo. Don't expect too much from the sights, but they will do the job. I bought the finger groove grips for it and really like them, and I also bought the Deluxe 9-round mag so that you can have 10 rounds including the one in the chamber. The safety functions like the Beretta 92 where it decocks when it goes on safe. .380 as a caliber is pretty iffy so I load it up with FMJ.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Chooch. As I see you as one of the more experienced and helpful members here, I really appreciate your input. :wink: Now I said pocket gun but I did mean jacket pocket, which I tried it and it fit well. The main reason for the purchase was just to have something new. You know, tis the season and all.
The one I put on layaway is the blued one. Maybe one day I'll have it recoated in a nickle. A few weeks ago they had a duotone one but when I went yesterday they only had the blue which is fine for now as I am starting to miss the balck finish on my now blasted MP40. Can you tell me what yours went back for? Will a fluff and buff after a few hundred rounds make it more reliable?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Mrgrinch233 said:
Can you tell me what yours went back for?
Both times parts broke and I can't for the life of me recall what parts they were. The warranty repair center didn't send any paperwork back with the gun so I can't even look it up.

People boast about these pistols because they are such good value, and I think that sometimes people get the impression that they are getting a $500+ pistol for $250 and then expect it to run like a $500+ pistol. As long as you remember you purchased a $250 pistol, you'll probably be pleased. I bought mine to fill a niche, and because it was cheap. I don't shoot it too often. Despite the fact that I've had a few problems, I wouldn't say I regret buying one.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm going to spend the money and get the Walther PPS. The Bersa seems a little too big for pocket carry to me and is only a 380, but it is a good pistol for the price.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The main reason I am purchasing it is not really for pocket carry, it's just I wanted another hand gun and the price really fit my budget right now.Meaning my wife won't want to beat me with it. I have read alot of good reviews on it and that helped me with my decision. I really like the look and feel of it. It will mainly stay in the nightstand and maybe my old lady's purse. Something else to take to the range when I go with my wife. I did not realize until last night that the ammo for this thing is more expensive than ammo for my .40. Well we will see in a couple of weeks how she does. In the mean time any more info will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you like the way the 380 feels in your hand, take a look at the Bursa compact 9. The same manual of arms and a better caliber and cheaper ammo.

I shot a friend's Compact 9 and was impressed. The single action trigger was not too bad. For a sub $300 gun it shot pretty good. I'm not sure how it will stand up over 5000 rounds but it worked well when we shot it.

Gringop

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My Bersa Thunder has been a good little gun after about a 200 round break in period. I don't shoot it much anymore since I'm not crazy about 380's and 380 ammo is much higher than 9mm. It sits in my desk drawer as a back up home defense weapon most (well, all) of the time now. I'm thinking about selling it but hate to sell any of my guns.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys, keep 'em coming. I'll let you know what I think about it when i finish paying for it in a couple of weeks.
Do any of you know how the alloy frame will hold up to media blast ? I chose not to get th duo-tone, and got the matte black but had an idea to blast a few parts after some signs of wear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased one about a month ago as my first handgun. At $230 (new), the price was right to determine if I would feel comfortable carrying. It has a few features (e.g., de-cocking lever, etc.) that are nice for the price and it shoots well. I've put about 100 rounds through it without any problems. I have the Duo Tone which I think is an alloy frame with steel slide. It has a nice weight to it without being too heavy for the size.

If it says anything, I've got the itch and am already looking to upgrade. It's not that I am disappointed with the pistol, but I think most will agree that the .380 is the minimum (if not too small) personal carry firearm anyone would want to rely on. I hope to be the proud owner of a M&P 40C by week's end and will hand the Thunder over to my wife.

All in all, I have no complaints with the Bersa. Unfortunately, most people don't have any complaints until there is a problem. I've had none at 100 rounds. :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought one of these last year for my wife. We both love to shoot it, when we can afford to. Ammo is expensive. I keep looking for an occasion to carry it, but I haven't found clothes yet that couldn't conceal my HK USP40c.

We have had no reliability issues. I did alot of research before I bought it and many reviews put it as reliable if not more reliable as the Walther PPK. The slide/frame fit was a little gritty for a while but that worked itself out like alloy on steel should. Cant speak to ammo finickyness (word?), we've only put wwb and remington through it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts