MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's kind of hard to go wrong with the .45 caliber...It's going to stop any home intruder/street thug if the scenario calls for it. I would still like to know the concensus of this site on which brand is the best for reliability, sprawl and overall knock down power?

I've been told(local arms bar) that the hydroshock rounds are king :!: ... true /false?

What do you personally carry and depend on?

-Blake

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
MPshooter said:
I know it's kind of hard to go wrong with the .45 caliber...It's going to stop any home intruder/street thug if the scenario calls for it. I would still like to know the concensus of this site on which brand is the best for reliability, sprawl and overall knock down power?

I've been told(local arms bar) that the hydroshock rounds are king :!: ... true /false?

-Blake
False...oldie - moldy technology that doesn't do well when the bad guy is dressed for a cold winter. I keep 230gr Federal HSTs in mine. You can find them online for about $23/50.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hydra Shok is an older design that was revolutionary at the time...however there are better things out there now. I know if it worked then it'll work now but so will a computer from 1990 (good luck using it for anything). In numerous tests the hydra shok clogged and became more of a expensive FMJ. Check out Winchester Ranger T or Federal HST. I read somewhere that the 230 gr +P HST round expanded to over an inch consistantly in Gelatain tests . (I have to make that clear or face the wrath of several people)

·
Registered
527 Posts
MPshooter said:

-Blake

The list of ammo on that link to tacticalforums.com is a good one to checkout.

The only other .45 load that I would add to that list is from Hornady. Hornady makes quality ammo in my opinion. And their XTP bullet is a proven design. Of all of their .45 loads, this is the one that I like the best:

Here is a link to an informative article on .45 auto ammo:

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar95.htm

You should test a number of different loads in your gun. Factors you should consider would include how well you handle the recoil of each load, and how well each one shoots in your gun. And naturally, anything you choose should function flawlessly in your pistol.

More important than what brand/model gun you buy, the caliber you select, or the specific ammo you choose, is YOU: THE OPERATOR. If you don't practice and develop some skill, it will really not matter what gun/caliber/ammo combo you are using.

On the other hand, if you become a skilled handgunner, you are going to be pretty deadly no matter what you decide on using.

I've recently fallen in love with the Crimson Trace brand laser sights. If at some point you want to invest some more money in your handgun, it is the very best thing to get, in my opinion.

I'm shooting the best I ever have with my Glock 17 since I installed the Crimson Trace on it. And I cannot wait for the new model they are coming out with in a few months for the compact M&P pistols. As soon as it becomes available, one is going to go on my new M&P 40 compact.

Lance

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great choices

I appreciate all the feedback and the great articles of reference. Looks like I need to put in some range time with some of the suggestions and decide on a carry round. Let the fun begin....thanks guys.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

.45 ACP:

Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)

Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)

Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)

Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Enjoy your .45!

I could care less what the others say and their (cough) data.

For home defense to me its the best choice. It tends to not leave your address and go thru walls and hit bystanders inside their address. I speak from experience. Not to say other cal's don't have their place because they do and I own them also but I'm not trying to kill my neighbors rug rat in his crib 100ft away. Just the perp in my house. A nice heavy 200+grHP does the job and helps keep the lawyers away. Apartments are thin and so are most wood houses. I could show you pictures and data but it upsets me greatly and Jester would not appreciate me showing it here.

IMHO your surroundings determine the force needed to safely defend yourself. It's a real world fact.

Think about it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Puffy said:
Enjoy your .45!

For home defense to me its the best choice. It tends to not leave your address and go thru walls and hit bystanders inside their address. I speak from experience. Not to say other cal's don't have their place because they do and I own them also but I'm not trying to kill my neighbors rug rat in his crib 100ft away. Just the perp in my house. A nice heavy 200+grHP does the job and helps keep the lawyers away. Apartments are thin and so are most wood houses. I could show you pictures and data but it upsets me greatly and Jester would not appreciate me showing it here.

IMHO your surroundings determine the force needed to safely defend yourself. It's a real world fact.

Think about it.

+1 !

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Puffy said:
Enjoy your .45!

Think about it.
Well, Gary Roberts has found the 200gr +P Gold Dot does not expand as reliably as the other Gold Dot loads. This makes it a 200gr +P FMJ projectile that may pose a danger to your "neighbor's rug rat in his crib".

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
You're likely correct in that observation. Upon further thought, it wouldn't matter anyway since almost any round will act similar to FMJ when flying through building materials.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In my opinion the best load is the one that feeds best in your gun, is the most accurate, and you have the most confidence in. In a personal defense situation you need everything on your side. I will check different brands, weights, bullet types to find what I feel is the best for my gun.

That's my .02

·
Registered
370 Posts
MP40Dale said:
In my opinion the best load is the one that feeds best in your gun, is the most accurate, and you have the most confidence in. In a personal defense situation you need everything on your side. I will check different brands, weights, bullet types to find what I feel is the best for my gun.

That's my .02

I agree!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Lets hear it for living in a block construction home. And a block fence. Better than wood and stucco anyway.

Gold Dot 230 all the way. I avoid +P in 1911 style .45s but haven't seen much in the M&P 45 yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
choochboost said:
[quote name='Puffy']Enjoy your .45!

Think about it.
Well, Gary Roberts has found the 200gr +P Gold Dot does not expand as reliably as the other Gold Dot loads. This makes it a 200gr +P FMJ projectile that may pose a danger to your "neighbor's rug rat in his crib".[/quote]

I know Speer was working on improving this load...when was the last it was tested by Mr. Roberts? according to TF it was sometime in 2005

·
Registered
264 Posts
MP40Dale said:

That's my .02

Bingo. As you add more gunsd to your collection, you will find that each gun and user combo will have different loads that it likes and dislikes. Find the one that is right for you and your gun and so long as it comes from a reputable maker (Winchester, Federal, Speer...) and not some mom-n-pop basment operation you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts