MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently become a constable and was wondering what ammo would be the best to use on duty. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
j -- First, what caliber gun are you carrying?

Second, a quick use of the forum's Search function will turn up all sorts of interesting debates on ammunition selection, along with some fairly well-founded recommendations.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry

ToddG said:
j -- First, what caliber gun are you carrying?

Second, a quick use of the forum's Search function will turn up all sorts of interesting debates on ammunition selection, along with some fairly well-founded recommendations.

I'm carrying a .40 cal. I'll also try the search. Just joined the forum...so I'm trying to figure out the tricks. Thanks

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Ranger's and hydrashok's are popular around here.

Winchester Ranger talons being the cheaper choice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Aegis said:
Winchester Ranger SXT is popular.

I agree.

Speer Gold Dots in my issued sw99 40 and Winchester Ranger in my 229 Off-Duty. Ranger is pretty inexpensive where I live too so that was a big plus for me. I have also carried Hornady TAP for personal carry as well. Those have a powder mix that reduces muzzle flash too.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Check out this link:

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tact...c;f=78;t=000964

A few members have recommended the Ranger line. If you're going to go with that, make sure it is the Ranger LE line otherwise known as the T-Series. It is identified by the product code at the end of the box on the bottom right hand corner as in this pic:

The product code above happens to indicate their .40 180gr load.

ToddG was bang on when he asked about caliber. A bullet design may perform well in a certain caliber/velocity, etc or may not do so well in another. A single bullet brand or design cannot be counted on to be among the top performers in every available loading

·
Registered
449 Posts
ken851 said:
What is your dept's policy on ammo?
If I understand the OP correctly, he has just become a State Constable. Our constables are individual citizens, not otherwise affiliated with any state or local government agency. They require extensive training, and an endorsement from our South Carolina Law Enforcement Agency (SLED).

You don't get issued anything, except your constable credential. You have special arrest powers, but get no gear, nothing. I've considered enrolling for it, but I'm not a citizen yet
You are at the mercy of your local government. They can call you up for duty when big events happen in your area. You get no compensation.

http://www.sled.sc.gov/constables.aspx?MenuID=Constables

or read the first page of http://www.sled.sc.gov/documents/Constable...amp;PROCIII.pdf

To answer your question: whatever firearm he has, and ammo he wishes to use, is completely up to him.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I still maintain the best ammo anywhere is OPA.

Other Peoples Ammo

That way you can get more practice with less cost and be more likely to hit what you are aiming at, which is probably a larger factor than which hollow point can penetrate how many denim layers and so many inches of gel. :wink:

if you cannot find OPA at your dept then you may need to a search around here I know Chooch has posted this list in more than one thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts