MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In new to the forum but have already read a bunch of great stuff. Thought i would ask for sone opinions on best carry ammo. My Shield is about a month old and so far I've put about 400 rounds of white box through it flawlessly. I tried some Hornady Critical Defense and had a couple issues. Mainly when the last round is fired, the slide doesnt lock back.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I`ve been using the Federal HST 230gr. Works flawless, and has really excellent test results.

I`m just not a huge fan of hornady ammo. I`ve never had good luck with their defense rounds as far as feeding.
I too, have experienced the slide not locking open on the last round with hornady defense ammo.

Another really good one that works VERY well in the shield45 is the Winchester 230gr PDX1. I got super good bullseye`s with Winchester PDX1. (soft recoil)

I recently tried the Sig Sauer 200gr HP`s, nice ammo... got great results from that as well. No cycling problems either. Last round fired, slide locked back fine.

Just in case you wanted to know:
I dont use ANY +P ammo in short barrel guns... waste of money and a bigger muzzle flash that you dont need should you need to shoot in the dark.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I've been using WWB Personal Protection 230gr JHP in all my 45acp pistols for many years.

It isn't fancy, but it's always fed and functioned 100% in every 45 I put it through.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Federal HST 230 grain in both my 45's and Federal HST 124 grain in my 9's. Always 100%

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I've been using WWB Personal Protection 230gr JHP in all my 45acp pistols for many years.

It isn't fancy, but it's always fed and functioned 100% in every 45 I put it through.
I use to use that one too Rick, but its so damn hard to find here anymore,
thats why i switched to the federal HST

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I know.

I went a few years without seeing any, then saw a box last year, and bought it.

I plan on buying a box whenever I run across one.
I`ve got a couple boxes stashed. Luckily i found them in the 50rd boxes, bought them both, haven`t seen any since.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
tried some Hornady Critical Defense and had a couple issues. Mainly when the last round is fired, the slide doesnt lock back.
That is odd. I use Hornady Critical Defense and have had no issues. Granted I have a 9mm.

How many time has it happened? Have you tried contacting Hornady about it?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
There is a sticky thread above your post that is by a guy named DocGKR. Anything he recommends will be good for self defense ammo. Check it out!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
There is a sticky thread above your post that is by a guy named DocGKR. Anything he recommends will be good for self defense ammo. Check it out!
Bill, can you copy/paste the link in here please... i dont see the sticky anywhere, i would like to read it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lucky Gunner Labs

Check out Lucky Gunner Labs for the handgun ammo tests.

Based on that site's information, I chose Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. Short Barrel Hollow Points. They are designed to expand and penetrate out of the lower velocities that short barrels result it. The tests show this to be true, feeds perfectly in my .45 shield. The HST's are also good, as well as the Winchester Ranger T-Series, but neither of those are specifically designed for short barrel guns, the Rangers are very hot rounds, too.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you look at the aforementioned Lucky Gunner Labs Test results, you will see that the Kahr CW45 used was very similar in size to the Shield 45. If you also reorganize the .45 ACP results by expansion size, you will see that the 230gr Ranger T-Series was the runaway winner for both expansion (1 inch!) and penetration (All rounds within FBI spec).

I have been an HST guy for as long as it has been on the market, but it is hard to argue with the Ranger T-Series results from a short barrel.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
If you look at the aforementioned Lucky Gunner Labs Test results, you will see that the Kahr CW45 used was very similar in size to the Shield 45. If you also reorganize the .45 ACP results by expansion size, you will see that the 230gr Ranger T-Series was the runaway winner for both expansion (1 inch!) and penetration (All rounds within FBI spec).

I have been an HST guy for as long as it has been on the market, but it is hard to argue with the Ranger T-Series results from a short barrel.
No doubt about that...!

·
Registered
591 Posts
The ones that are in my gun at the moment I am forced to use it will be the best ones guaranteed.

The rest is all theory and conjecture.

Theory that I and hopefully all of us hope we never have to test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for the excellent information. I think I'll try the Federal HST and the Ranger-T and compare. My goal has always been to put 500 straight rounds without a failure before trusting the weapon fully. After more reading in thinking that's 1000 now.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts