MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Dillon 550b with some buddies of mine and am starting to learn all about reloading. I am taking it veeeeeerrrrry slow and want to know everything. I just wanted to know what are some recommended resources out there and what are the best reloading manuals available. I will mainly be reloading 9mm, .380, .223.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
One of the best manuals for pistol is the one from Lyman, most manuals are specific to a bullet maker or a powder maker, so are somewhat limited in that part, since Lyman doesn't make either their book is a pretty good one, they do sell bullet casting equipment so there is plenty of information on cast bullet loads as well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=277752

I've got the Speer, Hornady, Lyman Pistol & Revolver, and the Hodgdon annual manual.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
OK, I've read several reloading manuals, and I have to say the lee manual is pretty solid on what you need to know (and then some), has tons of data, and is cheap. It is very hard to beat.

Personally, I recommend getting two manuals and read both. Especially if new to reloading. Mainly because I have found typos, mislabeled figures, and other mess ups in most manuals at some revision or another. Usually two won't mess the same thing up, so you can figure out what is what.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
I normally cross check all my different books, this is a double check for a possible misprint or my misreading the info, some will be low, some might be high, I'll average them in that kind of situation, but you always start low and work up!

I don't know how many times I've seen posts on reloading message boards, new reloader starts with the maximum load shown in the book, and then comes to the message board wondering why that load didn't perform as expected in his gun.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
yeah, I was mainly referring to content, like how to recognize pressure signs in cases and primers.. It's important, and you want to make sure you ahve good info.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just fired up my new 550 this past Saturday. Over the last year I've read Lee, Lyman, and Speer's manuals. I have a Sierra on they way.

Lee's is somewhat disjointed and rambles a litte but gives some great insights and information for new reloaders. It's almost like listening to your Grandad if you can get past his shameless sales plugs... :wink:

I've amassed quite a few black lead bullets and Lyman and Lee both have pretty good lead data.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think you're gonna love the 550. I''ve had mine for better than 15 years and never had a serious problem with it.

As far as manuals go, if I could only have one, it would be "Pet Loads" by Ken Waters. Covers darn near every cartridge ever made, and has a really good section on how he works up his loads and how he measures the cases for pressure.

But you really should have more than one. Besides Pet Loads, I like the Speer, and the Lyman cast bullet manuals.

·
Registered
246 Posts
+1 with mac45 on the Speer and Lyman cast bullet manuals.

Congratulations on the Dillon 550b. I have owned a Dillon SDB for about 20+ years and like it very much, it's a great machine. I picked up a used Dillon 550b about 3 years ago and absolutely love it. I really like the ease of changing calibers with the 550b.

If you ever need some help with anything relating your machine, give Dillon's help desk a call. The guys working there know what's going on with reloading and are very helpfull on the phone.

If you have questions related to cartridge components, etc., give Sierra Tech support a call @ 800-223-8799. Even if you are not using Sierra products, they will answer your questions.

Take your time and pay attention to what you are doing and you will do fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts