MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lets use this thread to discuss our experiences with the Check-Mate (CMI) Shield magazines.

I received my package this PM. It included two CMI seven and two eight round 9mm Shield mags, a CMI bag, and a one page letter from Brandon Vitulli with CMI outlining the Beta Test Program.

The mags have been serialized with an engraving pen to aid in tracking each’s performance.

I intend to start by fully loading one each of a seven and eight round mag, and leaving them loaded prior to shooting, as this is something I always do with new mags. The other seven and eight round mags I’ll leave empty until range day, for an “out of the box” comparison.

We should be able to do a fairly extensive review, as the “please return by” date to mail in the results to Brandon is 6/5/18.

·
Registered
690 Posts
So far, all I've done tonight, was use Dummy Rounds to Load and unload each mag by hand, several times each, in order to see how tough they are to fully load when new.

As with factory Shield mags, initially, the 7 rounders are very tough to fully load by hand. Hand unloading was smooth except for the last round, which bound up on the follower, but only the 1st time.

In the Shield, the 1st round of each stripped cleanly without binding. Upon ejecting the last round, the Follower successfully tripped the Slide Lock as it should.

Locking a new fully loaded CMI 7 round mag into the Mag Well is tough, but not nearly as tough as a new Factory 7 round Factory mag. Using an UpLula to push down on a fully loaded CMI mag, I could see that there is a little more extra 'push' room than a Factory 7 round mag. This is most likely why the CMI mag is slightly easier to seat than the factory mag.

After 4 series of hand loading and unloading, I exorcised the springs a few more times using my UpLula mag loader, loaded all 4 to max capacity and am letting them sit loaded until I can get to the range.

Reactions: PaPow

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
I exorcised the springs a few more times...
And I thought my routine was thorough, never even imagined the need to drive out demons even once let alone several times, although there are times when I wondered who/what was controlling my POI.

----------------

Just got home from the range (after 9 hours on a construction job), we ran several hundred rounds, 7 shooters, 9 guns, 11 different kinds of ammo. I'm exhausted, will be reporting on the experience tomorrow (almost all positive). I was pleased with the experience.

P.S. Woke up from a nap and saw this new thread, added my previous post to it.

P.P.S. Can we confirm that someone is a beta tester by posting either a photograph of their magazines or 4 consecutive words from the form letter we all received, and delete any poster that isn't? I'll go first. "If there are any"

Reactions: Rick M and RobzGunz

·
Registered
94 Posts
Got mine, have not fired rounds thru them yet. but so far i am impressed. seems to function alright. only thing i see so far is the spacer on the 8 mags does not fit the frame. I am going to be testing them these weekend.

And if anybody need a Excel spread sheet for round count and notes and failures. i made one up.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
“P.P.S. Can we confirm that someone is a beta tester by posting either a photograph of their magazines or 4 consecutive words from the form letter we all received, and delete any poster that isn't? I'll go first. "If there are any"

Great idea!

Here’s mine: “what our beta group”

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
“P.P.S. Can we confirm that someone is a beta tester by posting either a photograph of their magazines or 4 consecutive words from the form letter we all received, and delete any poster that isn't? I'll go first. "If there are any"

Great idea!

Here’s mine: “what our beta group”
removed

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Great idea Rick!
Maybe add our participant ID number at the top of each post..??? Or maybe the serial numbers of each mag...???

Your thoughts...???
Actually, I was quoting KRW.

I think the “four consecutive words” from the letter from Brandon in a single post works fine.

It should soon be apparent who all the beta testers are, and any other forum members wanting to ask questions about the mags can still do so in the other thread, anyway.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Since the cut-off date is 6/5/18, that gives us time to run hundreds of rounds through them all and should show whether the sanded sections PaPow mentioned, will split or not.

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
It should soon be apparent who all the beta testers are...
I'm thinking it's sufficient to verify the beta tester once, and keep ID and Serial# between CMI and the tester.

I'm all about function, because in personal defense nothing else (about your firearm anyway) really matters.

Working at home on our first range report, it appears there may be a difference between odd and even numbered 7 round magazines, or is it just me? One seems harder to seat than the other, and firmer than the 7 round factory magazines we have.

The 8 round is a breeze to just press in, very little effort required, at least the one I used was. Since slamming the mag home is not my wife's favorite thing to do, I can already say that we will be buying a couple more of these CMI 8 round mags (and selling a couple factory 8 rounders).

If I go back to the range tomorrow, they'll think I've gone senile (because it's not Thursday, when we're always there).

Reactions: Rick M

·
Registered
81 Posts
You guys are just junking the thread up talking about who’s official and who isn’t...

I’ve gone testing the last two days, and received 0 malfunctions! More to come later of course. Took some pics and video of a couple things for feedback.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Put 100 rounds each through one of the 7 round mags and one of the 8 round mags. No problems at all. So far, these are functioning just great.

The 7 round mag, like the Factory 7 round mag, is not as easy to lock into the mag well as their 8 round counterparts (with the slide closed). It makes me wonder if the spring is being fully compressed, or if the legs of the followers are bottoming out. If it's the Follower bottoming out, I might (later in the testing) try sanding a bit off the bottom, to see if that might offer a bit more clearance (what I've called 'Push Room' in the past).
(Any Thoughts on this?)

Adding: as anyone disassembled the mags? I now see why the CMI mags are easier to hand load and almost as easy to seat. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have X4-A5 and A6 (7-round) and X4-B5 and B6 (8-rounds). Just 100 rounds (25 each WWB) no problems. Will be shooting more after digging out from the latest snow fall. So far, I like them very much.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
My posts have been removed by me... I`ll be sending all my beta test info directly to checkmate.

Thank you, enjoy the program

·
Registered
690 Posts
1 - 20 of 85 Posts