MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with Black Hills Ammo? It seems to be reasonable, pricewise.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
It is generally good ammo. I have nothing bad to say about it.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
It's the only remanufactured ammunition I would ever use, ever, any time, ever, ever.

Their ammo quality is generally regarded as on par (or better) than some of the major manufacturers. They developed and supply 5.56mm ammunition for the U.S. military. They're an all-around dependable ammunition manufacturer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I ordered some. They have some remanufactured in the blue box, and some new in the red box. I ordered some 230gr JHP in .45ACP and some 180gr JHP in .40 S&W. It was reasonably priced. I got it from Midway.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
To back up ToddG's post, it is the only remanufactured ammo I would even consider, and I've posted that on this board many times in the past. They set the standard for the industry.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Very good stuff. Highly consistent, very accurate. I use the 230 grain for .45 carry and the 155 grain for .40 carry. They use Gold Dot bullets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Now they use Hornady XTP bullets. Speer quit selling Gold Dots to competitors. That said, I use their 9mm 124 grain +P and .45 230 grain +P. Very well made, accurate, and reliable. I shoot the .45 out of my M&P .45.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No, I don't know when they started it, but I ordered 6 boxes of Black Hills 9mm 124 grain +P and 6 of .45 230 grain +P about 4 months ago from Midway. When they arrived, I was very surprised to see what I knew were not Gold Dots in both. Internet research told me what I just said here. They still shoot great, but I can't find much in the way of performance tests on the XTP out there.

The composite of all I've read is that they don't expand as much as a lot of JHPs, but that they are designed for "controlled" expansion.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
HadEmAll said:
The composite of all I've read is that they don't expand as much as a lot of JHPs, but that they are designed for "controlled" expansion.
If that means what I think it means it smells fishy.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
HadEmAll said:

But why, one wonders, would a bullet manufacturer want to "control" (in this case, limit) expansion? It's one thing to prevent fragmentation, it's one thing to guarantee adequate penetration, but since so many other bullets do those things and expand better then I'm at a loss as to the reasoning here.

I think Black Hills makes great ammo, but I'd pass on bullet technology that is a generation or two behind the times.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Hornady XTP handgun bullets were decent performers in their day, but it is a somewhat dated design compared to the latest offerings from most major manufacturers.

They do, however, retain a reputation for being one of the most accurate HP bullets available, which may be what prompted Black Hills to select them.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The last batch of 230 grain (not +P) Black Hills I ordered are Gold Dot bullets but since I only use them for SD I haven't ordered any recently. I think I'm going to have to go with regular CCI Speer Gold Dots again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts