MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blackhawk has issued a recall on several of their holsters that fit the M&P line. I have a pdf file that details the issue, the holsters and what to do about the recall. As soon as I find a spot to post the information, I'll update this thread.

--

Mike

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
choochboost said:

You mean it's been posted since.

From the notice: "As a result of a single incident, it has been determined that employing certain movements when attempting to place the Smith and Wesson M&P Pistol (in any caliber or configuration) into these “High Wall” holsters can cause the handgun to engage that “High Wall" and unexpectedly discharge if there is a round in the chamber and the trigger is in what Smith & Wesson calls “the striker fire action mode”."

I'd really like to know what makes up "certain movements".

--

Mike

·
Registered
157 Posts
What's a high wall holster?

I have the CQC made for the Glock 21. It is listed as also fitting the M&P 45. My M&P 9mm fits nicely.

model 410513BK-R

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here is the language that came from Blackhawk

Blackhawk Products Group is announcing a safety recall that applies to the "High Wall" versions of Blackhawk's Carbon Fiber SERPA Holsters and Blackhawk Sportster Holsters intended to fit only Glock Models 20 and 21 and the Smith & Wesson M&P in any caliber or configuration that are marked: "Glock 20/21"; "Glock 20/21 S&W M&P; or "Glock 20/21 S&W M&P .45". These holsters also have the Component Part Number C1215, C1215-L, C1215-S, or C1215-L-S molded into the bottom of the rear wall of the holster body.

As a result of a single incident, it has been determined that employing certain movements when attempting to place the Smith and Wesson M&P Pistol (in any caliber or configuration) into these "High Wall" holsters can cause the handgun to engage that "High Wall" and unexpectedly discharge if there is a round in the chamber and the trigger is in what Smith & Wesson calls "the striker fire action mode". A discharge or "firing" of the weapon in this manner could cause property damage or personal injury or death to the user and/or others.

Regardless of what firearm you are using with the holster, you should immediately determine if your holster is included in the two groups of holsters affected by this recall as described in the actual Notice linked below. If it is, you must stop using it and return it to Blackhawk Products Group by following the procedure contained in the linked Notice (see URL/pdf).

http://dealers.blackhawk.com/images/downlo...ecall122007.pdf[/url]

·
Registered
130 Posts
I talked to the folks at BLACKHAWK today. The part they call the "high wall" is the outside part of the holster that sticks up and covers the slide release area. Apparently one person did something screwy while holstering his loaded pistol and that "high wall" portion of the holster entered the trigger guard and engaged the trigger causing a "negligent " discharge.

I say negligent because I took my unloaded M&P 45 and tried to get any part of the holster to engage the trigger. I tried for a good 25 to 30 minutes and the only way I could get it to happen was to keep the muzzle outside of the holster and manipulate it in a very awkward way and literally stick the high portion of the holster into the guard and press the trigger. If I put the muzzle even minutely into the holster which is a good inch before the trigger gets close to the holster, it was impossible. I failed to get the trigger close even bending the wall towards the trigger. Im convinced it was a fluke but I will exchange them (I have two) one at a time just to get new holsters but I see no danger in using them as they are if you take standard precautions re-holstering. SLOW DOWN. There is No time limit to reholster. This is one of the legitimate drawbacks to striker fired pistols with no manual safety. Anything caught in the trigger guard (clothing, fingers) when holstering could cause an ND.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ebar5 said:
I say negligent because I took my unloaded M&P 45 and tried to get any part of the holster to engage the trigger. I tried for a good 25 to 30 minutes and the only way I could get it to happen was to keep the muzzle outside of the holster and manipulate it in a very awkward way and literally stick the high portion of the holster into the guard and press the trigger.

I did the same last evening and came to the same conclusion. At the angle you have to have the gun approach the holster to result in the ND, there is no way to actually holster it. I'm not sure the entire story is being told, but I wasn't there.

--

Mike

·
Registered
140 Posts
mbott said:
[quote name='ebar5']I say negligent because I took my unloaded M&P 45 and tried to get any part of the holster to engage the trigger. I tried for a good 25 to 30 minutes and the only way I could get it to happen was to keep the muzzle outside of the holster and manipulate it in a very awkward way and literally stick the high portion of the holster into the guard and press the trigger.

I did the same last evening and came to the same conclusion. At the angle you have to have the gun approach the holster to result in the ND, there is no way to actually holster it. I'm not sure the entire story is being told, but I wasn't there.

--

Mike[/quote]

I also did the same thing last night also came to the same conclusion. I like this holster and will be keeping mine without worry. Matter of fact, I will be using mine in a couple of hours for IDPA.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Since I've got two Ill send one in and see what the new one looks like. If I like it Ill send the other one in. If I don't or if there is big enough difference that I could see a reason to have both, Ill have no problem using the old, recalled one. Just be safe guys. If nothing else good comes of this, it should teach or remind us all of what can happen when we become careless.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sounds to me like the only way to have the ND is to miss the holster and have the gun ride outside the holster along the edge and angled so the upper wing gets inside the trigger guard.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I tried for quite some and just couldn't achieve those results during a "normal" type re holster. I did have my shirt try to get in their and snag the trigger but it was never enough pressure to make it shoot. I might just get a comp-tac and be done with blackhawk.

·
Registered
130 Posts
madecov said:
Sounds to me like the only way to have the ND is to miss the holster and have the gun ride outside the holster along the edge and angled so the upper wing gets inside the trigger guard.

That's exactly right. That was the ONLY way I could get the holster to even touch the trigger in any position close to reholstering.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is the CQC Serpa for the M&P 9mm and 40s&w different from the 45acp model? Curious because I just watched one of Tom Gresham's Personal Defence TV episodes and he was shooting either a 9 or 40 from a Serpa that had no "high wall." It had either been cut down or it was completely different. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
157 Posts
ebar5 said:
Is the CQC Serpa for the M&P 9mm and 40s&w different from the 45acp model? Curious because I just watched one of Tom Gresham's Personal Defence TV episodes and he was shooting either a 9 or 40 from a Serpa that had no "high wall." It had either been cut down or it was completely different. Does anyone know?

There is a non high wall model that is specific to the M&P 9/40. I purchased the high wall model marked Glock 21 and M&P 45, it fits the 9mm well though there is about 1/2"-3/4" extra length in the holster.

·
Registered
83 Posts
ebar5 said:
[quote name='madecov']Sounds to me like the only way to have the ND is to miss the holster and have the gun ride outside the holster along the edge and angled so the upper wing gets inside the trigger guard.

That's exactly right. That was the ONLY way I could get the holster to even touch the trigger in any position close to reholstering.[/quote]

How much you wanna bet the hammerhead in question had his finger inside the trigger guard when re-holstering....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Seems to me that's the most likely answer.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I found the way to make the high wall pull the trigger, but its awkward and hard to pull off during a "normal" reholster. But you cannot keep your finger on the trigger while reholster, the wall is in the way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts