MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the rear dots on the factory Novaks distracting, so I went to black them out. I didn't want to do anything permanent, so my first try was a black dry-erase marker. It was tough to cover every bit of white, and it didn't last very long. Black electrical or gaffers' tape wouldn't stick well to the curved part of the sights, and also would encroach on the notch. I wanted something like glazing compound or painter's putty, but nothing comes in black. Then I remembered making neutrally buoyant fishing lures with stuff called Sculpey. It's a polymer clay that forms and shapes well, and can then be baked solid. I thought this would provide a good, non-permanent mod and it worked like a charm. It pushes into the rear dots and sticks well. A few sweeps of a knife blade will take off any excess and you're done. The clay is a matte/dull finish by nature, so it blends well with the sight. If you don't bake it on, simply take a paper clip and dig it out of the dot dimples and you're back to a factory sight. I found it makes the novak rear much less distracting, allowing you to focus on the front sight. You could take the suggestion a step in-between. I bought black to eliminate the rear dots. If you like them, but wanted to tone them down a little, you could use red or other color that you can see at first, but could "look past". If you really like the rear dots, you could buy a fluorescent green, yellow, or orange.

Ok, so it's nowhere near genious, but for a couple bucks and a trip to the craft store, it was the best solution to my problem and the sight picture is greatly improved for me. FWIW...YMMV

·
Registered
29 Posts
Agree with the Sharpie on rear dots. My target aquistion improved considerably after blacking out my rear dots. The Sharpie lasts several hundred rounds and a few gun cleanings and then time to re-apply.

I like the Warren sights and they are on my list.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Agree with the Sharpie on rear dots. My target aquistion improved considerably after blacking out my rear dots. The Sharpie lasts several hundred rounds and a few gun cleanings and then time to re-apply.

I like the Warren sights and they are on my list.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Black fingernail polish works great and can be removed with a little laquer thinner.

I filed the rear sight flat then re blued with the bluing Walmart sells. I also filed the front flat and painted it orange after re-bluing. (nail polish)

The factory rear sight projects a glare in the sunlight. It changes position on the curved surface as the day progresses and was causing me to shoot high or low dependant on time of day. The flat surface solved that problem.

:twisted:

·
Registered
178 Posts
TOF said:
The factory rear sight projects a glare in the sunlight. It changes position on the curved surface as the day progresses and was causing me to shoot high or low dependant on time of day. The flat surface solved that problem.

Interesting, It'll be fun to pay attention to this and see if it's happening for me.

care to post pics of your mode?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Ruprex said:
[quote name='TOF']The factory rear sight projects a glare in the sunlight. It changes position on the curved surface as the day progresses and was causing me to shoot high or low dependant on time of day. The flat surface solved that problem.

Interesting, It'll be fun to pay attention to this and see if it's happening for me.

care to post pics of your mode?[/quote]

I'm not certain if my digital camera will take good close ups but will try. If not a daughter has one that will. I will see what can be done with the tools at my disposal and get back with you.

Enjoy

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
[img

Lets see how this works.

The pic's are not showing up the way I expected but perhaps they will do.

The sight on my .40 is finished. I have to remove the 9MM sight to clean up the bottom portion.

I didn't want to risk filing the slide so left a small bit of material at bottom to protect it.

File such that the rear of sight slants forward at top.

The heigth of rear will probably end up lower than before so front may have to be filed to compensate.

Measure front and rear height before starting then maintain same differential (ie .235-.155= .080diff.)

Proceed at your own risk. If not good with a file don't try it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
TOF said:
[img

Lets see how this works.

The pic's are not showing up the way I expected but perhaps they will do.

The sight on my .40 is finished. I have to remove the 9MM sight to clean up the bottom portion.

I didn't want to risk filing the slide so left a small bit of material at bottom to protect it.

File such that the rear of sight slants forward at top.

The heigth of rear will probably end up lower than before so front may have to be filed to compensate.

Measure front and rear height before starting then maintain same differential (ie .235-.155= .080diff.)

Proceed at your own risk. If not good with a file don't try it.

Thank you much, sir. Pics are always nice. Good advice on the differential.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts