MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you "blast' a stainless slide? I know one of the dealers here can do that and I've seen photos of Sig slides done.

So how is it done? I know I can buff the finish off but that woud leave a shiny/high polish look...(etid: but that's not waht I want)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
You can media blast and then use a polishing wheel. Takes some "know how" but a first timer can do it with a little luck and patience.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
Oh I don't want the shiny finish, I preffer matt finish.

So how do you "media blast"?

Go to a tool supply shop or Sears and obtain a Sand Blast setup. If you don't have one then buy an air compressor with adequate capacity to drive the blaster. Now decide on what "Media" you wish to use. ie Sand, Glass Bead, walnut shell or whatever. Load the blaster and have fun.

Alternatively take the slide to a good gunsmith and have the job done for you.

I have never tried but there is an outside chance that you could place it in a cartridge case tumbler and remove the color.

Good luck.

:twisted:

·
Registered
259 Posts
ok, the way I did mine was I purchased a cheap sandblaster from HD, it was like $12 to hook up to my air compressor. I did not know what kind of media to use so I also picked up some stainless bolts to practice and find the look I was going for. I tried different types of sand which I found were all to rough. Noone in the town I live in had what I was looking for. Since I work doing flooring I had a bag of sanded grout and decided to give it a shot. This is what I ended up with. I know it's not the professional way to do it, but it came out just how I wanted it. I played with the pressure til I got it where I liked the finish then I disassembled my slide, put some cotton to cover the openings of the barrel and firing pin and prayed for the best. What I ended up with was exactly what I was looking for. Cleaned and oiled everything after. I did this a few months ago and regularly oil it andhave not had a single spot of rust. I am very happy with it. here is a link with my pics. scroll to the bottom of the page to see the end results

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...&highlight=

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mrgrinch233 that looks pretty cool!

I preffer stainless to blued and if there was a stainless finish M&P I'd get one. But with a plastic/black frame I would like a dull finish. I've seen a few that were highly polished slides and it didn't look right to me on a plastic frame...

So what media whould give me satin finish? and what is Oxide blasting (which is what Bowie Tactical Concepts offering).Also what about sights would I have to remove them?

BTW if I get that done can the gun still be used in IPCS and IDPA?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
Mrgrinch233 that looks pretty cool!

I preffer stainless to blued and if there was a stainless finish M&P I'd get one. But with a plastic/black frame I would like a dull finish. I've seen a few that were highly polished slides and it didn't look right to me on a plastic frame...

So what media whould give me satin finish? and what is Oxide blasting (which is what Bowie Tactical Concepts offering).Also what about sights would I have to remove them?

BTW if I get that done can the gun still be used in IPCS and IDPA?
OK in both sports

I use a combination of Al oxide and Glass Bead. I prefer the looks of glass bead but it alone won't take off the black very well

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hey Don, Little off topic, I was in Duncansville 2 weeks ago (Checking out the eastcoast gun sales), and was looking for you. I found Suger run Road, but could not find 2249.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts