MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't shot in a couple weeks, but have been dry firing, watching videos, reading technique and tried to apply all that learnin' tonight. (I think you can see where this is going already.) I'll just say that I shot better before all that "knowlege" was in my head. One thing I did manage to fix out of my tendency to shoot low-and-left (which made me think it was the gun, since several had similar complaints - now I'm pretty sure it's the operator) is that I'm centering better overall, and if I'm off, it's only a little bit to the right. But elevation was all over and the groups were huge. I'm thinking it's technique (I've been shooting less than two months) and the sight picture. I have a hard time getting the front focused and staying clear. It's like my eyes are bouncing back and forth between the rear and the front, and also complicating things is the black vs. white of the sights and the dots. I meant to take some black tape* tonight and cover up the rear dots to see if that made a better picture for me. If it did, I'd be on here ordering a Warren tactical to try, for a couple reasons I won't get into right now.

*You shooting vets have any tricks for blacking out dots so it's temporary and easy to undo?

On a side note, I rented a P226 for my brother to try and I shot that way better than the M&P. The sights on the Sig were all blacked out, with a relatively thin blade up front that gave me lots of room to even up the spaces left to right. I think the added heft on top and of the gun overall had a steadying effect that resulted in the better groups as well.

Eh, I've only slept 4 hours total in the last 44, so I'll chalk up the bad range day to that. :?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Being tired will have a big impact on how you shoot. Rest up and get some more range time penciled in on your calendar.

·
Registered
512 Posts
A few that I have heard involve a sharpie; but as far as temporary, maybe a dry erase marker. I use electrical tape, and it seems to work pretty well.

·
Registered
512 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Don't let one session get to you. if it was easy we would all be robbie leathem!

Funny you mention it...thats what my friends call me. :wink:

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can "smudge" black crayon into the dots. Clean out with a toothpick if not wanted. I did this on my XD and it worked well. On my 45 1911 Champion, I actually used a lighter to melt black crayon into the rear dots so the crayon was flush with the rest of the sight. This worked well, too.

rjs

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
sharpie will wear off the dots,a nd come off pretty quickly with the usual gun cleaning solvents. If you shoot ina wel lit range, you will still see the rear dots. Black masking tape helps hide them, but kind fo sucks. The birchwood casey sight black is good. I find the aeresol works better than the pen, but they are both better than sharpie. Plus they are useful even if you decide to get a plain rear sight. Most gunstores usually have oone or the other, if not both.

Personally, I hate rear dots, and the M&Ps dots I find paricularly bad because the front and rear are not the smae size. It's real annoying.

Aftermarket rear sights kick butt. I like the warren tactical myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts