MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that there is a pronounced lip along the edge of the backstraps where they meet the frame. Has anybody tried blending this in and smoothing it out? It seems like a flush fit would be much more comfortable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the mp .40c and the lip is minimal. It is very comfortable to shoot and I noticed that how the gun sits in my hand the edge of the strap actually sits it the crease in my palm making it completely unnoticiable.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
It probably depends a lot on which size grip you have installed. I use the Large one and don't feel anything but comfort.

You can replace them for minimal cost so by all means make it fit your hand.

Then enjoy

:twisted:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The small one fits but I'm just wondering about the best way to remove marerial without messing up the plastic of the grips.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Take one that you know you will not use and apply a file, sandpaper etc to the back side first. It is tough but I will bet it can be adjusted with some form of abrasive. A chemical such as acetone or similar might melt it enough to reform etc. I think all the stippling has been done with heat so a hot iron might do the trick.

Let us know what works.

·
Registered
936 Posts
sholling said:
The small one fits but I'm just wondering about the best way to remove marerial without messing up the plastic of the grips.

Are you sure the backstrap is installed properly? there are lips on the sides that need to fit into slots in the frame.

If anything; blending the seams that you speak of would require adding material, not removing it.

A photo of your gun might help us understand your issue.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
mike cyrwus said:
[quote name='sholling']The small one fits but I'm just wondering about the best way to remove marerial without messing up the plastic of the grips.

Are you sure the backstrap is installed properly? there are lips on the sides that need to fit into slots in the frame.

If anything; blending the seams that you speak of would require adding material, not removing it.

A photo of your gun might help us understand your issue.[/quote]

+1 - I'm not understanding it either.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mike cyrwus said:
sholling said:
A photo of your gun might help us understand your issue.
Note the red circle. The backstrap is flush along the middle back but extends out a about 1/32 right in that corner. Just enough to dig into the web of the hand. I'd like to smooth out that curve.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
As indicated in my previous post, careful use of sandpaper is probably your best bet. Try some Automotive type wet/dry. Start with 220 grit and go finer for final finish.

I personaly don't feel the ridge and don't have a problem with it but apparently you do.

Good luck with it.

Edit: New back straps are only $2.29 from Midway so you don't have much to lose.

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/brows...9141***15918***

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I'm making progress. I was a glorified machinist for 20 years before I changed careers to computers and I'm always leery of taking tools to unknown plastics. Some plastics just turn into a mess. This stuff is taking well to a little bit of work with an 8" medium half round file, and a tiny bit of low speed Dremel work. By taking just a tiny bit at a time between fittings and using a little white off to mark the high spots it's getting close to perfect.

·
Registered
521 Posts
[quoteThis stuff is taking well to a little bit of work with an 8" medium half round file, and a tiny bit of low speed Dremel work. By taking just a tiny bit at a time between fittings and using a little white off to mark the high spots it's getting close to perfect.[/quote]

I took my fullsize and sanded down the palm swells with my 1" belt sander...the hard rubber grip material is really easy to work with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts