1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
WOW looks nice!

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Your vice is blue, but the wrong shade of blue, you need to paint it to match!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Nice Setup

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I loaded a little with my new 550 this afternoon.

Everything went pretty smooth.

I noticed that I was getting a different OAL depending on if I was only seating the bullet, or if I had the shellplate full. Is this normal, or do I have the shellplate bolt too loose?

Also, the bullet seater was not centering the bullet very well. If I didn't place the bullet on the case straight, the seater would seat the bullet a little crooked. I didn't do any investigation with that because I was only loading a little to see how everything would work.

Overall, I'm very impressed.

·
Registered
512 Posts
That is a very nice setup

·
Registered
147 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
I loaded a little with my new 550 this afternoon.

Everything went pretty smooth.

I noticed that I was getting a different OAL depending on if I was only seating the bullet, or if I had the shellplate full. Is this normal, or do I have the shellplate bolt too loose?

Also, the bullet seater was not centering the bullet very well. If I didn't place the bullet on the case straight, the seater would seat the bullet a little crooked. I didn't do any investigation with that because I was only loading a little to see how everything would work.

Overall, I'm very impressed.

Very nice! I put a roller handle on mine and really like it.

My OAL's are approx .003 shorter if using the seating die only vs full shellplate.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
One common mistake it to have the shellplate too loose, you want it as tight as it can go without excessive dragging, to explain why I said excessive, invariably the shell plate will loosen up a bit after a few rounds are loaded, no matter how tight you run the set screw on the ram. It isn't unusual for me to tighten it down a bit more after I've loaded 20-30 rounds.

A shell plate that is too loose can cause all kinds of problems, one of the most common is trouble seating primers.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Give it a little more time and you will have several extra set ups in the background like this one!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
G56 said:
Give it a little more time and you will have several extra set ups in the background like this one!

WW III

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Make sure you have the bullet seating die set low enough. It is a tell tale sign that it isn't if you are having trouble with OAL and "crooked" seating bullets. Tighten down the shellplat and lower the seating die down so as much of the brass is in it when the handle is all the way down. Good luck.

Also, Dillon CS is great. Call and ask them anything and they will work you through it!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I lower the seating die it will shorten my OAL.

How do I lower the die without changing the OAL?

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
The bullet seating die has a separate seating stem, you can screw the die down but raise the seating stem, just make sure you aren't crimping when you lower the die.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Looking at Dillon's instructions for die adjustment dated May 2007, the seating depth is no longer separately adjustable from the die body, this is completely different from the previous design, so my comment applies for the previous generations, but it no longer applies.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I guess they have updated?

On mine one can adjust the die in the toolholder for depth to cover the case, then adjust the bullet seating depth seperately on the top. On is threaded inside the other so they can each be adjusted individually. Why they would change that is beyond me? Call CS they will help you out!

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
coltman1985 said:
I guess they have updated?

On mine one can adjust the die in the toolholder for depth to cover the case, then adjust the bullet seating depth seperately on the top. On is threaded inside the other so they can each be adjusted individually. Why they would change that is beyond me? Call CS they will help you out!
That's the way mine are made, looking at the revision date on the instructions it looks like a recent change. I'm sure it was done to simplify the manufacture, less machine work needed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts