MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing through book listings and wanted to see what books everyone was reading, when you have time? I like both fiction and non-fiction. I am re-reading Marine Sniper, again, can't read too much about a legend.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Seriously, get Against All Odds: Escape of Sierra Leone by Phil Ashby. God what a great book. Its an amazing story, hell even my girlfriend enjoyed it.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The last book I finished was 'Under and Alone' by William Queen.

He was a BATF agent who went undercover in the Mongols outlaw motorcycle gang.

This was a very, very interesting book. I really enjoyed it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm reading Flyboys by James Bradley. It's about WWII Naval aviators. I'm not quite half way through, but I'll definitely finish it. It provides a good summary of Japanese history as well as detail on some of our pilots.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i only read every once in a while, but two weeks ago i got a Brad Thor book and now i have read 3 of his books. very entertaining

hey , my first post

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'll definately check these out.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
State Of Fear

Thank's for a good idea for a new topic!

I just finished "State Of Fear" by Michael Crichton. Great info about the global warming nonsense in novel form. Good read even if you believe in man's contribution to global warming. :roll:

I also read lots of gun rags. I even keep the old back issues since my gun interests are constantly evolving and old articles I didn't pay attention to before, become interesting.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Currently "reading" Brian Enos' Practical Shooting: Beyond the Fundamanetals. I use reading in quotes cause I have an 18 mo. old, so free time is rare.

Good past reads: Unintended Consequences, Atlas Shrugged, Band of Brothers, most anything by Vince Flynn

·
Registered
147 Posts
TAZ said:
Currently "reading" Brian Enos' Practical Shooting: Beyond the Fundamanetals. I use reading in quotes cause I have an 18 mo. old, so free time is rare.

Good past reads: Unintended Consequences, Atlas Shrugged, Band of Brothers, most anything by Vince Flynn

Currently re-reading Unintended Consequences.

Enos' Practical Shooting is on my short list.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm mainly into horror, sci fi and fantasy. A book of H.P. Lovecraft's short storis should give you a variety of great reads, like Call of Chthulu, and such. Also Clive Barker is a a favorite of mine. "Weaveworld" is one of his great horror/fantasy novels and his "Books of Blood vol 1-4" are also quite good.

As far as fantasy, Raymond Feist's Serpentwar or Riftwar sagas are quite good. R.A. Salvatore has some good fantasy novels as well. His Dark Elf trilogy is almost required reading for any fantasy buff. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings is a given.

Sci Fi. Do a search for anything cyberpunk, the authors names escape me at the moment. Timothy Zahn wrote some great Star Wars novels after the fall of the Empire for Star Wars fans. Issac Asimov is the premier Sci Fi writer in history, so anything by him should be a treat.

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TAZ said:

I have a 3 yr and a 4 month old, so I "read" whenever I can, too!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hoped people would like this topic.

Effy, I have read LOTR, thanks for the other suggestions. I like reading several genres.

I have been reading Clancy's Net Force & Op-Center series of books. Cybernation in the Net Force series was good.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just remembered some more that I enjoyed reading.

Heinlein: Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress... pretty much anything he wrote.

Clancy: Almost any book he has out, but Without Remorse is my all time favorite.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Heinlein is my favorite author. Stranger in a Strange Land is my favorite book. I also like The Story of B by Daniel Quinn, and Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Anything by John Krakauer is a good read. I like Hermann Hesse also.

I'm reading The Art of War right now, and the last book I read was Case Files of the Tracker by Tom Brown jr. Before that I read Marine Sniper by Charles W. Henderson. All excellent books.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts