MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people say it is boring to shoot at an indoor range because all you can do is stand in one spot and shoot at paper. Granted, some ranges have targets that move, like flipping targets, and some have much more sophisticated target set ups. But I'm speaking specifically of the more typical "old fashioned" indoor range with target holders that only go down range and back to you.

Today one of my shooting buddies and I went to a decent indoor range in "the next town" which is about a 40 minute drive one way. It is basic, but it is clean and their air exchange system is excellent. I took two empty plastic gallon water bottles and twine, plus a couple paper targets. They said, 'sure' I could hang my plastic bottles but if we shot them down to come back out and the counter guy would come to get them out on the range. Fair enough. We shared a lane, which we usually do.

You CAN move and shoot, even in a lane at an indoor range:

She started with her SIG P238 and I started with my S&W .380 Shield EZ. We started with paper - 12" square target with standard circles on it. But we did not stand still! Simply standing at one side of the booth, cranking off a couple of shots and quickly moving to the other side while still shooting is as basic as you can get in "move and shoot" but you ARE moving! Then one of us would stand at low ready position while the other one (with no warning) pressed the return button and held it. That is a very rough simulation of the BG coming at you, but still enough to get the adrenaline flowing, and most especially if you are moving side to side as you shoot "him."

Next was standing just in back of the tray where you lay your magazines at one side of the booth, gun again at low ready, and bringing it up and quickly moving back two steps as you shoot, then moving forward at an angle until you are at the other side of the booth.

Was it realistic training? Of course not. But we WERE moving and we were shooting! And it was not boring: It was fun. And we each shot 6 mags full:. Two mags per person, then the other one had a turn, etc. There were a lot of things we couldn't do, of course, but we belong to a club with an outdoor range and when the weather is decent we do the other stuff outdoors.

Next we switched to our M&P .22 Compact semi autos (saving ammo money, you know!) and I hung the two bottles and we repeated most of the above, making the bottles dance. In fact, if you happened to hit off center and hit the side edge, they would twirl. Not great shots when that happened, but fun to watch! We each shot 70 or 80 rounds of 22 and then called it a day. Even .22 is not super cheap anymore, but much more affordable than .380 or 9mm.

Can YOU do this at your indoor range? Could we have done it if the range had been crowded? I do not know the answers, but I do know we will go back on other cold days for more indoor, non boring, shooting practice.

OH, and BTW: This friend shoots low and left if she has to just stand and carefully aim. Push her for time and make her move and she shoots quite well. Interesting, isn't it?

We got some shooting practice and some very basic skill practice and it was not boring! A great way to spend a very pleasant cold and windy day with a friend!

Reactions: kickstand

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We had our second indoor range session but this time at a different indoor range. They also let me hang my bottles. This range has flipping targets, so that can be challenging depending on many seconds face time you give yourself. But we also did the same move sideways, backwards, etc. moves as at the other range, always being careful to stay within the side panels of "our booth," especially the rear of that designated area.

No problem. Again, we had a lot more fun than is possible while just standing still.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts