MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined up here, bought a 9C today. Gotta wait 5 days, don't have my permit to carry yet, probably file for that tomorrow. Pretty excited, first pistol, turned 21 a couple months ago and finally found the money to go out and buy one. Been around guns my whole life, I have a solid understanding of safe firearm use and such. After a couple months of reserach, I finally decided on the M&P. The sthop I bought it from didn't have a 9C last Thursday when I was there, only a 40C, I went in today and they sold me the display model. I wanted one that hadn't been touched, but the guy said he just put it in the case this morning. Doubtful, but I'm sure it'll be fine, I know for a fact that the longest it could have possibly been on display is about 4 days. Oh well. Next pistol will be a M&P45 for sure, these seem to be excellent guns.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It's a nice bunch here and the noise level/BS factor is about 1% what it is in that other forum. There are some folks here that are seriously worth listening to. We have gun smiths and a trainer kind enough to help people out by sharing knowledge. We have a bunch of highly experienced shooters. We even had a lengthly discussion with one of the worlds top experts on wound ballistics educating us on what works and what doesn't and why. Take some time and read up. Just don't forget to read posting dates when you read about an issue. Most of those are well behind us.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been doing some searching around, knowledge never hurt anyone. Curious what kind of rounds everyone else is using for target shooting. Looking for something fairly cheap, I really haven't done much local shopping as far as that goes, just looking for a few good ideas. Also if someone can recommend a decent carry round that would be helpful as well. I'm fairly unversed when it comes to handgun ammunition, my experience is with shotguns and hunting rifle rounds.

When I get this beast next week, I plan to field strip it and clean it before I shoot it, would that be a wise decision? Looking for opinions on good cleaning agents to remove factory grease and a general protectant for the exterior of the gun. I've used Hoppe's stuff on my shotguns for years, plan to get a boresnake or something similar for cleaning of the barrel and such. Looking for suggestions of good cleaning products and lubricants to keep my M&P maintained. As I said I've used Hoppe's in the past with good results on my shotguns but I'm thinking there might be other options that are better suited toward pistols. Any information anyone can share with me would be great, I'm venturing into a new world, but I'm ready to learn. And yes, I am using the search feature to find out as much as I can on my own.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Winchester White Box from Walmart for the range. For carry, one of these: http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tact...c;f=78;t=000964

Yes, I would strip and clean before the first range visit. Hoppes is fine but I prefer MPro-7 as it cleans well and is odorless. A lot of members here like Weapon Shield for a CLP. For lube I use Slide Glide and 10-8 Performance lube.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
For practice most of us have concluded that unless we find a great sale it's hard to beat Walmart prices on Blazer, UMC or Winchester White Box (WWB) practice rounds.

The ballistics expert I alluded to is known as Doc. He's been kind enough to post a list of what self defense ammunition has been proven scientifically to work. He doesn't rank them, they either make the list or they don't. Being a fan of heavier bullets (because of their penetration) I plan on ordering the 147gr Federal HSTs listed below for my 9c. You may have legal restrictions there that I'm not aware of, and the temperament of your local DA may be something to take into account when choosing. You'll find great prices on hard to get ammo at ammunition-to-go - and yes they sell law enforcement ammo to us civilians http://ammunitiontogo.com/. Anyway do your legal homework before you order.

In 9 mm:

Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)

Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)

Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)

Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

Care and feeding is pretty easy. A good inside and out wipe down and couple of patches through the bore and some oil and you should be set for your first range trip. One of our members is doing a lubricant shoot-out, but in the mean time I'm very comfortable with MPro-7 bore gel (~$6) for bore cleaning. It's harmless and I keep mine in the frig to keep it thick. I keep a can of Synthetic-safe Gun Scrubber for a light once over after a range trip. Use only the synthetic-safe version ($11) and don't go crazy with it. I wipe everything down good and put a drop of Break-Free CLP (~$5) on the recommended points and a super-super light, barely noticeable rubdown of the slide with 1-2 more drops of Break-Free. Break-Free is hard to beat as a lube and as a protectant. During the hot months you may want to experiment with Slide-Glide but it's way too cold now. I also wipe down my untouched weapons with a silicone impregnated cloth about once a month. Nothing to it really.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For range shooting, I usually use MagTech, Fiocchi or PMC, all usually 115 gr FMJ.

For carry, I have Speer Gold Dot 124 +P, Federal Premium HydraShok 135 gr and Remington Golden Saber 147 gr. I'm still kiicking around the pros and cons about MagSafe.

Kevin

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
DCGoth said:
I'm still kiicking around the pros and cons about MagSafe.
How's this for a con:

Check out that amazing penetrating power. :roll:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep, penetrating power is definitely one of the minuses. They work great if your assailants are a field of watermelons.
That's why I try to stick primarily to the Gold Dots 124 +P. Lots of expansion, great fps speed from the barrel and (from what I've read) minimal (if ever) jacket separation.

Kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts