MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys long time reader, but unfortunately my first post is a problem...

After a long wait i finally got my hands on my new M&P9 Pro Series. Love the look, feel and all that.

But then finally got to the range running through some Winchester factory loads and sometimes it just doesn't want to go?? I had 2 other new pistols there to play with (686 SSR and Mark II Ruger) so after 40 rounds i gave it up and went onto the other ones for the rest of the day.

When i got home i gave it a quick strip and noticed what i think the issue is. The trigger arm seems to be slipping off from under the sear. Now searching around the forum, is this what people refer to as a "dead trigger"? Ive come across a few similar threads like this one for example:

http://mp-pistol.com/mp-gunsmithing/9482-possible-trigger-job-problem-failure-fire.html

Now seeing as I'm in Australia, sending it back to S&W isn't as easy as other places. Going to have to go back to the shop, then they give it to the distributor, then that gets shipped to S&W... So much for having some 9mm fun at the range this weekend coming....

Now ill attach a few videos of whats going on to give you a better look. It seems if i put more weight pushing the trigger to the right hand side it seems to stay underneath the sear more. Where as if i pull straight back of slightly left it slips. I've ordered an APEX kit to put through it regardless, but seeing as its a "Pro Series" i would have hoped i didn't come across any issues, especially less than 50 rounds in.

Any tips would be great guys! Hopefully i can either sort this out myself or back to S&W it goes!

20140316_215617.mp4 Video by abclarke | Photobucket

20140312_202743.mp4 Video by abclarke | Photobucket

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Welcome from Texas! I've got a Pro Series 9 and mine didn't do this when it was new. The dead trigger could be the problem, hard to believe a new, unmodified gun would not fire though.

Did you clean it before you took it to the range?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah you can see that in one of the videos it was very lubed up. Thought this might have been an issue so cleaned that all out and started from scratch!

Same problem though :(

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dead trigger normally applies to the trigger bar getting back under the sear after it's been pushed aside during recoil causing the sear to lay flat and allowing the striker over it, this causes the striker to fail to reset and causes the "dead trigger". Yours sounds more like a problem trigger bar. They are stamped steel and as such are prone to problems. They are also flimsy and bend easy. I'd suggest bending the loop or trigger bar arm in just a little until it rotates the sear reliably. Likewise a new trigger bar would likely resolve the issue as well (not sure how available they are there).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dead trigger normally applies to the trigger bar getting back under the sear after it's been pushed aside during recoil causing the sear to lay flat and allowing the striker over it, this causes the striker to fail to reset and causes the "dead trigger". Yours sounds more like a problem trigger bar. They are stamped steel and as such are prone to problems. They are also flimsy and bend easy. I'd suggest bending the loop or trigger bar arm in just a little until it rotates the sear reliably. Likewise a new trigger bar would likely resolve the issue as well (not sure how available they are there).
Thanks for the tips. You are right with the problem being availability, any pistol related things i usually just have to order from Brownells.

Might take it back to the shop first of all though, dont want to go bending and mucking around with things after having it for less than a week! :p

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
After looking at the videos, (sorry, I was in a hurry earlier and didn't watch them), I agree with Kandress. Just bend it a little, or maybe the gun shop will take care of it for you.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for the tips. You are right with the problem being availability, any pistol related things i usually just have to order from Brownells.

Might take it back to the shop first of all though, dont want to go bending and mucking around with things after having it for less than a week! :p
I hear you, I'm Canadian, if Brownells doesn't have it, or if it's more then $100 I'm SOL. I also had a dead trigger issue as well. Different cause though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bit of an update, took it back to the dealer this morning and they said no problems at all being brand new. Grycol the importer for S&W in Australia apparently has 2 gunsmiths trained by S&W to get around the whole problem of having to send it back to the US for repairs.

Hopefully the guys should be there tomorrow to have a look and "hoping" its an easy fix!

Just hope when i put the APEX parts in it doesn't happen again :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts