MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here and love all the great info here. I just go my M&P 40 yesterday, went to the range, put 10 rounds in it. FTE every shot! Casing would get stuck and next round would butt up behind it. I've been reading about these problems and they seem to be resolved by cleaning the extractor, mine is brand new, I fired 5 rounds and every one, FTE. I guess one good thing is I live 10 minutes from S&W. Pulled out the reliable SW99 and put 300 rounds through it with no problem. I'm new to the sport so if there is anyting anyone could tell me about these failures and how common they are I would appreiciate it.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Did you clean and inspect the firearm prior to shooting? Reloads or which manufacturer and type of ammunition? Any marks on the rim of the brass that fte'd? More info would help us help u.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Have you tried loading a full magazine and then manually cycling the slide to see if it would feed and eject the rounds? Sounds like a broken extractor to me. The barrel does say.40 on the top?? Please let us know what S&W says about you gun.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went throught the gun top to bottom. Cleaned the barrel, oiled real good and went back to the range. I have to say I think it's the ammo. Grabbed two boxes of Federal. Not a miss. The gun fired perfect and true. My SW99 .40 can take Wolf ammo all day long. I guess that's not the case with the MP 40. I have to say, I am really impressed with this pistol. You get what you pay for. What do you guys use for range ammo? I'm not so much concerned about price. When I'm at the range I want my equipment to perform...flawlessly. I don't have lots of time to get to the range so when I'm there I want my time to be spent putting rounds through a target not clearing jams.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
You were shooting Wolf when you experienced the Failures To Eject (FTE) the first time?

We've heard about FTEs happening with WWB but so far not with Wolf...interesting. If you M&P40 seems to be running fine with the Federal ammo go ahead and run some of that through it before you start trying other brands.

In your initial post you said the empty round was getting stuck, where was it getting stuck? Was it still in the chamber?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Trust this man!!! He helped me out with my AR!!

m4arc said:
You were shooting Wolf when you experienced the Failures To Eject (FTE) the first time?

We've heard about FTEs happening with WWB but so far not with Wolf...interesting. If you M&P40 seems to be running fine with the Federal ammo go ahead and run some of that through it before you start trying other brands.

In your initial post you said the empty round was getting stuck, where was it getting stuck? Was it still in the chamber?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
m4arc, yes, the empty round was still in the chamber with the next round right behind it and the slide would then lock open. The casing would have to be pryed out (carefully) with a mini screwdriver. Also the case had a noticeable ding on it from where the ejector had tried to pull it out. No other marks but the casing was very tight in the chamber. I guess I'm thinking bad ammo. I just bought the pistol and Wolf was the only ammo I tried shooting through it...with bad results. What do you prefer for range ammo?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've got the 9mm, but i've shot a couple hundred rounds of Wolf ammo w/o any problems. Also a hundred or so of some factory reloaded stuff that functioned fine, as have all brands i've used. I don't know if the 40's have different track record with ammo, but i just wanted to chime in on the Wolf stuff. Good luck. I'm sure S&W will fix it for you, don't get discouraged, M&P is a great pistol.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny you bring up the 9mm. In my Glock 9mm I can fire Wolf all day long and no problems. I assumed it would be the same with my MP .40. I think I'm going to be switching back to 9mm. I always had 9mm pistols until a couple of months ago I bought an SW99 .40, and what a great piece, that then led to the purchase of my MP 40. I really don't care for the recoil of the .40 but wanted some extra stopping power for my carry weapon. After alot of comparison shooting I don't think there is that much difference in stopping power beetween the .40 and 9mm.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
There is definitely a difference in muzzle energy between the .40 and the 9mm Luger! :roll:

On the subject of the wolf ammo, get a micrometer or caliper and check case dimension all the way around. If you have a case gauge, even better. I wonder if the wolf may be out of spec. I don't use Wolf or any cheap ammo. If you do not have a problem with anything else I would just not use Wolf stuff. If a different type of round gives you trouble, then a little chamber polishing might be in order?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Nutshell said:
Cleaned the barrel, oiled real good and went back to the range.

Don't lube the inside of the barrel. At elast don't leave it wet. It can cause casings to bind int he chamber due to the oil forming a hydraulic wedge.

I've run into the problem on other guns when I used to lube the chamber and barre, and had it result in FTEx. But usually it didn't reamin full chambered.

Just an idea.

Also wolf allows more gases to flow further back into the chamber before forming a seal. combine that with oil and you could get a nasty mix causing stoppages.

Just some ideas.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Nutshell said:
m4arc, yes, the empty round was still in the chamber with the next round right behind it and the slide would then lock open. The casing would have to be pryed out (carefully) with a mini screwdriver. Also the case had a noticeable ding on it from where the ejector had tried to pull it out. No other marks but the casing was very tight in the chamber. I guess I'm thinking bad ammo. I just bought the pistol and Wolf was the only ammo I tried shooting through it...with bad results. What do you prefer for range ammo?

Generally I'll run whatever is cheapest; Wolf, Blazer, WWB, etc.

What you described has happened to several members here as well but mostly with Winchester White Box. This is the first time I'm hearing about it happening with Wolf.

You said the "ejector" left a mark on the empty casing where it tried to pull it out? I think you meant the "extractor" left a mark on the rim of the case, correct?

Here's what I recommend: try and get some more rounds through it and keep detailed records of the brands, round counts and any failures you encounter. (I have a spreadsheet I can send you to get started) Even try running some more Wolf through it later on. If you're still having issues I would call S&W and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
m4arc, yes extractor was wgat I meant. I was careful not to leave a mark with the screwdriver and I could see where the extractor claw would try to pull out the casing, just couldn't do it. If you could e-mail me that spreadsheet that would be great. I'm picking up my M&P 9MM compact thursday so I would like something to keep track of what I'm putting through each gun.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Nutshell said:
m4arc, yes extractor was wgat I meant. I was careful not to leave a mark with the screwdriver and I could see where the extractor claw would try to pull out the casing, just couldn't do it. If you could e-mail me that spreadsheet that would be great. I'm picking up my M&P 9MM compact thursday so I would like something to keep track of what I'm putting through each gun.

I'll get it to you tomorrow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
FTE's

Had issues, S&W replaced brrl, issues gone. Was out of Spec's, hood clearance over sized. .037+" Ship Fri returned following Fri, Kudo's to S&W. Harlie

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Nutshell, I'm sorry I didn't get it to you but I'll take care of it this afternoon. PM me your email address and I'll send it right away.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After several trips back to the range. Only shooting WWB, all has been fine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Send it back, let S&W figure it out. It's a brand new gun, and in my opinion a good quality handgun should fire anything you put through it. I don't believe in trying this ammo and that ammo. One failure to do anything is one too many for me. Thats why I am sending my M&P 45 back to S&W. I have a ftf with the last round in either mag. I am not going to try and figure it out, letting S&W do it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a .40, and use Winchester White Box all day long at the range with no problems. I have at least run 700 rounds of this ammo with no problems, been shooting it from day one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts