MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my brand new M&P 9mm full-size out to the range today and was consistently getting spent cases ejected into my face. I put about 200 rounds of CCI Blazer and I'd say at least 80% of them came straight back at me, either into my forehead or glasses.

Any idea why it's not sending them a little more to the right? I've never had a pistol send them straight back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue with American Eagle out of my M&P9c. When I finished that box and switched to UMC yellow box, the brass ejected normally.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got off the phone with S&W--they said that the ejected brass coming straight back probably has little to nothing to do with specific ammo and everything to do with a faulty ejector. In for service it goes. The good news is I live 10 miles from their factory. Estimated return time is 8-10 working days.

·
Registered
97 Posts
strostro said:
Just got off the phone with S&W--they said that the ejected brass coming straight back probably has little to nothing to do with specific ammo and everything to do with a faulty ejector. In for service it goes. The good news is I live 10 miles from their factory. Estimated return time is 8-10 working days.

If I was a betting man I'd say nothing is wrong with your ejector... it's likely your extractor IMO. I haven't gotten around to sending mine back yet.

G

·
0 Posts
I had this same problem I just picked up my M&P 9mm today and put 200 rounds in and had over 10 failures and almost all the brass hit me in the face. I called them and they are sending out a shipping tag.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Same issues with the brass poking me in the eye...

Put 720 rounds out of it and it still sends brass straight back. Not too happy. Will send and E to S&W to see what they say...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
lugnut said:
[quote name='strostro']Just got off the phone with S&W--they said that the ejected brass coming straight back probably has little to nothing to do with specific ammo and everything to do with a faulty ejector. In for service it goes. The good news is I live 10 miles from their factory. Estimated return time is 8-10 working days.

If I was a betting man I'd say nothing is wrong with your ejector... it's likely your extractor IMO. I haven't gotten around to sending mine back yet.[/quote]

Why would it be the extractor, since it is extracting the case? The ejector position, and profile can heavily affect the direction and force of the ejection. A bad extract can result in lazier ejection, but if S&W thinks they have a bad batch of ejectors out there, I wouldn't have a problem believing that is the issue.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I sent S&W an email outlining my issues in detail... Quite a long email. I got a reply,

"you would need to send it to the address here "

...some distributor on the other side of the country. Ever try posting firearms in Australia???

My next question was the turnaround time expected for the problem and if it was the ex/ej then i could fix it myself, or a shop in my state, the response,

"i dont know what the turnaraound time is give them a call"

My reply,

"Thanks.

I have sent them an Email and will wait to hear from them. Do you have any idea on what the problem might be? It is very frustrating…"

S&W,

"im sorry i dont"

It sounds like they really couldn't give a crap and it's out of there hands. Some direction on the problem would have been nice? I don't even mind buying a repalcement ej/ex if i know that will fix the issue... Quite pissed off...

Shot 1020 rounds and it's consistent to say nothing else. right at me.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I shot my brand new M&P9 Compact for the first time today and had the same problem. The cases were hitting my glasses and hat. It did it with both mags, and my grip made no difference. I just traded my full-size 9 on this Compact. My full-size ejected way to the right, and so does my wife's M&P9 Compact. The serial number of my gun is MPW 57xx, so it was made just recently. I am hoping that another 100 rounds or so will improve it's ejection direction! I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if there is any other solution other than sending it back to S&W.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Arizona Smithshooter said:
I shot my brand new M&P9 Compact for the first time today and had the same problem. The cases were hitting my glasses and hat. It did it with both mags, and my grip made no difference. I just traded my full-size 9 on this Compact. My full-size ejected way to the right, and so does my wife's M&P9 Compact. The serial number of my gun is MPW 57xx, so it was made just recently. I am hoping that another 100 rounds or so will improve it's ejection direction! I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if there is any other solution other than sending it back to S&W.

So do us all a favor, and check out if the ejector on your 9c looks any different than the ejector on your wife's 9c.

·
Registered
673 Posts
raz-0 said:
[quote name='Arizona Smithshooter']I shot my brand new M&P9 Compact for the first time today and had the same problem. The cases were hitting my glasses and hat. It did it with both mags, and my grip made no difference. I just traded my full-size 9 on this Compact. My full-size ejected way to the right, and so does my wife's M&P9 Compact. The serial number of my gun is MPW 57xx, so it was made just recently. I am hoping that another 100 rounds or so will improve it's ejection direction! I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if there is any other solution other than sending it back to S&W.

So do us all a favor, and check out if the ejector on your 9c looks any different than the ejector on your wife's 9c.[/quote]

YES! At long last i can get a comparison! Please Arizona, get some details up of the two extractors and ejectors, some pics?

I have just dropped my 9FS of to the smith to post back to New South Whales for work. Apparently it is an easy fix, so i am guessing it's a change out of something. I took details of the ejector/extractor/port and bits hoping to reverse engineer the solution to determine the cause. It appears that S&W are keeping this one a secret!!

:? :? :?

·
Registered
573 Posts
OK...I will do some investigating! I will visually compare the guns today, and the next time I go shooting I will swap the slides on the two guns and see what happens. That will indicate whether it's the ejector or the extractor. Be patient...I won't get to go shooting again until next week. I really like my new gun, but dodging hot brass is a bit too distracting.

·
Registered
673 Posts
OK...I will do some investigating! I will visually compare the guns today, and the next time I go shooting I will swap the slides on the two guns and see what happens. That will indicate whether it's the ejector or the extractor. Be patient...I won't get to go shooting again until next week. I really like my new gun, but dodging hot brass is a bit too distracting.

Now were talking. FANTASTIC! this should be a great help to others as well... 8)

·
Registered
573 Posts
OK..here is what I found when comparing a M&P9 Compact that ejects to the right and one that ejects to the rear(mine). These are just very preliminary observations and it will take shooting on the range to verify.

The angle of the two ejectors are slightly different. Mine angles to the right when looking at it from the rear with the slide removed. I laid both frames on their left sides on a flat surface and measured from the flat surface to the outside edge of the ejector and my wife's measured about 3/8 of an inch....mine was about 1/16 inch higher. Before I try to make any changes to mine I want to put my slide on her frame and see how it shoots. I won't be able to do that until next week. Hope this doesn't confuse any of you...just wanted to let you know that I could visually see a difference in the two guns.

·
Registered
673 Posts
OK..here is what I found when comparing a M&P9 Compact that ejects to the right and one that ejects to the rear(mine). These are just very preliminary observations and it will take shooting on the range to verify.

The angle of the two ejectors are slightly different. Mine angles to the right when looking at it from the rear with the slide removed. I laid both frames on their left sides on a flat surface and measured from the flat surface to the outside edge of the ejector and my wife's measured about 3/8 of an inch....mine was about 1/16 inch higher. Before I try to make any changes to mine I want to put my slide on her frame and see how it shoots. I won't be able to do that until next week. Hope this doesn't confuse any of you...just wanted to let you know that I could visually see a difference in the two guns.

Good work Mr Arizona! Keep them observations coming... Thanks very much for taking the time.
8)

Any chance of getting a picture or two of this firsts observation??

·
Registered
573 Posts
Let me update what I have encountered so far. When I first shot my new M&P9 Compact the brass was ejecting almost straight back, hitting my glasses and hat. That had me a bit concerned. The first time I shot my gun it was right out of the box...the only thing I did before shooting was run a bore snake down the barrel to make sure it was clean.

After shooting last week I broke down the gun and gave it a through cleaning and the lubed it per the Owner's Manual. Today when I shot it again, using the same ammo, the brass was ejecting to the right and away from my face. I then put my wife's 9 Compact slide and barrel on my frame and there was no difference in the way the cartridges ejected from the gun.

I did mention in a prior post that the ejectors seemed different in the two guns...but evidently that doesn't seem to make a difference in the way the cartridges eject.

So in conclusion it seems that my gun is operating normally. I will just make sure that I keep it clean and lubed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have heard of this issue before, in another gun, and an adjustment to the fornt edge/ face of the ejector was the cure. Just passing along what I heard!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts