MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a review of my 400 round break in shoot yesterday. Today I took the gun and mags apart for a thorough cleaning. Was hoping to find a difference between the two mags to account for one working 100% and the other not, I was surprised at the amount of brass shavings inside the mags. Anybody else notice this?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did both mags have the same amount of shavings, or did one have significantly more than the other? I'm guessing the "bad" mag will have more brass shavings which may indicate the feed lips are too narrow and out of spec. Or, the inside edges of the feed lips may be sharp/rough which would contribute to failure to feed malfs. FWIW, mags, generally speaking, are the achilles heel of any weapon system. Look at them first when diagnosing any malf.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not new at this and do understand that mags can be the downfall of many autos. It just surprised me the amount of brass shavings in these mags. Both mags seemed to have just as much brass in them as the other.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I just took my mags apart to clean them after shooting over 1000 rounds through them. There were some brass shavings in the bottom of my mags also. It surprised me how much oil was in the mags. Of course, most of the oil had accumulated around the base plates. These mags really need to be cleaned out during the initial cleaning of the new gun. This would get most of that oil out, and prevent a lot of the brass shavings from accumulating in there.

I'm not worried about the brass shavings. Once the mags break in, I think this will be reduced. It's not affecting the functioning of the weapon either.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had taken my mags apart and cleaned them before going to the range so this wasn't anything to do with the factory oil or preservative. S&W, in a phone call today, is sending me another mag to replace the one that is not working correctly. Thank you S&W CS!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I think it's in the manual, but it's really easy.

Turn the mag over and look at the bottom of it (the baseplate). You will see a small round thing protruding through the bottom of the baseplate. Use the grip tool to push this in while you slide the baseplate off. The baseplate will only slide one way. Keep your thumb covering the bottom of the mag b/c when the baseplate is almost all the way off the spring will try to fly out.

Pull the spring out and the follower will come with it. It will stay together as a unit; and it is easy to clean this way. Just wipe everything down good and put it back together. Be sure to put the follower in the way it came out. It won't work very good if it's in backwards. :wink:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPSguy said:
S&W, in a phone call today, is sending me another mag to replace the one that is not working correctly. Thank you S&W CS!
Got my new mag in the mail today, Yea S&W. Oops, they sent me a compact mag. Called back, they said they would get the correct one in the mail right away. Said I'll send you back your compact mag tomorrow and he said just keep it and buy a compact then you'll have 3 mags.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Remembering this thread, I cleaned my mags after my second range session yesterday...no brass shavings at all in either. 'Course, that's with only 200 rounds, but still seems to be an indication that my mags don't suffer this problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts