MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share my thoughts on Slide Glide Lite. I received the product in about three days from date of order. I covered the inside of the slide as directed. The stuff definitely works as promised. It is very slick and stays where its put on the gun. The action did feel smoother although the gun is still breaking in with about 300 rounds through it. I do not plan on cleaning the pistol as often as the literature says that I should be able to extend my cleaning intervals. I only plan on running a bore snake after each range session and I more thorough cleaning after approximately 500 rounds.

I will post a follow up after more use.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Very interesting lube. Do give us a follow up report on how this stuff works.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'll give you a followup. Slide glide rocks. On my very tight 1911, it makes the difference between 100% reliability and being a jam-o-matic after sitting in the safe for a bit or letting it build up crud for about 300 rounds of fire.

With slide glide, it's good for about 1500 rounds before it gets cranky provided I clean the magazines every 750 or so (a different powder choice would probably up those numbers though).

The lite version is what I use mostly these days as it keeps working in colder weather. Still not great for REALLY cold temps though.

I use it on all my pistols except my buckmark. Use it on my lever gun. Don't use it on my 10/22, or my ARs as it's not well suited to rifles that dirty.

It's good stuff. I have been using it for about 3.5 years for about 17,000 rounds + of shooting on various pistols. Still have half a tub of regular and 1/2 a tub of lite.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I can see how you'd need this stuff on a tight 1911, on an M&P or Glock you could run em dry. I just don't see how putting lipstick on a pig is gonna change anything. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bigkracka said:
I can see how you'd need this stuff on a tight 1911, on an M&P or Glock you could run em dry. I just don't see how putting lipstick on a pig is gonna change anything. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

The manual instructs applying lubricant on several points including the rails and barrel hood. I was using Rem Oil and found that it would literally shoot off the pistol and I did not have faith that I was getting adequate lubrication. I do know that you can run some guns dry, but it would seem to me that any friction point, pistol or otherwise, would be well served with a little lube, if only to reduce wear and tear and smoothen up the action. I do notice a material difference when racking the slide after Slide Glide is applied.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Slide Glide is great. A little goes a long way and once applied it lasts a long time. It stays where you put it too. The only downside is that the lube is red so you really see it on your clothes if it gets there.

Brian recommends applying it with a small paint brush. Since I tried this method I use a brush for lots of lubes. The plastic brush doesn't absorb the lube so you use it instead of throwing it away sucked up into a cloth or swab.

If you need a super thin grease then Mil-comm TW25B is also good stuff.

For oil I like Firepower FP-10. This stuff keeps my tightest guns running. It also performs in the cold.

·
Registered
288 Posts
vzontini said:
Slide Glide is great. A little goes a long way
This is absolutely true. "A little dab will do ya".
So, don't be dismayed by the size of the container because you use so little of it each time that that small cup is going to last a lot longer than you think.

SG is a great and inexpensive way to smooth up the notorious gritty trigger. I tried FP10 for this first and it did not make a whole lot of difference. When I pulled the trigger the first time after applying SG I was like "Dang! That is some good lube!".

·
Registered
293 Posts
I bought a tub of Slide Glide #1 as well. I applied it with their "cheap" $0.79 brush after cleaning.

I'm not sure if I used enough, but I just basically coated the exterior of the barrel, the guide-rod and spring, the little silver button (firing pin safety?), the inside of the rails and the rail guides.

It "appears" like someone has gently painted it with the smallest amount of of slick, shiny substance.

Brian refers to not having to clean as frequently as the residue will simply adhere to the Slide Glide. I personally plan on just running a few CLP swatches through the bore after my next range session.

I really didn't notice much of a difference in racking or trigger action after the application. Perhaps I missed a crucial lubrication spot?

Any suggestions are always appreciated!

·
Registered
524 Posts
The thicker stuff and cold weather performance makes me kinda go "Ehhhh...."

I don't like having to have weather recipes on a fighting firearm... FP-10 for lube on high wear areas, Ezzox for rust prevention and as a CLP. The slide glide gets alot of attention but again, that cold weather performance makes me shake the thought of using it. I've never had an issue with FP-10 not staying put. I could see using slide glide on the firing pin safety though...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I only use the LITE version and then only on the frame rails and on the firing pin safety surface where the trigger bar rubs across it producing that nasty grittiness. I use Breakfree CLP and/or FP10 elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
+1 for Slide Glide Lite...

I've been using Slide-Glide Lite on all my pistols and revolvers for the last couple of times at the range. Not too sure I can actually feel a big difference when shooting but I feel a vast difference when racking the slides. I think this stuff is great and as mentioned before, a little dab will do you. That little tub should last a long time. I tried putting a little bit on the tip of my finger and rubbed my fingers together. I could have rubbed all day and it would still be slick feeling.

Also. imo, it should extend the life of any gun when applied on moving parts. I'm sure there are other very good lubricants but probably not any, any better. 8)

I used some on the external safety on my Bresa Thunder 380, which has a notoriously tight safety. It loosened it up considerably.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:
The thicker stuff and cold weather performance makes me kinda go "Ehhhh...."

I don't like having to have weather recipes on a fighting firearm... FP-10 for lube on high wear areas, Ezzox for rust prevention and as a CLP. The slide glide gets alot of attention but again, that cold weather performance makes me shake the thought of using it. I've never had an issue with FP-10 not staying put. I could see using slide glide on the firing pin safety though...

when i say cold weather, I mean real actual cold weather. When it is like 30 degrees out and i'm outside for a match for 4+ hours and the gun gets cold enough to be unfun to grip bare handed, the lite version still functions in my 1911. It's why i pretty much use lite only these days. The regular gives a nice smooth feel on the 1911, but it doesn't shoot any different, and the lite runs in a wider rnage of conditions.

With more generaous tolerances, what thickening there is should be less problematic, not more. If you live arther north i could see bieng leery of it, but it'll work in the weather I see around these parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts